Shannon

Default Cheery Knowles Emerg. Hosp. WW2???

Could anyone tell me if this hospital still exists please? I found a letter written by my late father. He was a Sergeant in WWII and was injured and operated here. (it says Co. Durham, Ward 12)

Thankyou for any kind help or advice.

Shannon
    Last edited by Shannon; 25-01-2006 at 7:32 PM. Reason: used lower case for war

Reputation beyond repute

It's Cherry Knowles!

A quick Google with the correct spelling should answer your question.

Lancelot

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon
    Could anyone tell me if this hospital still exists please? I found a letter written by my late father. He was a Sergeant in WWII and was injured and operated here. (it says Co. Durham, Ward 12)

Thankyou for any kind help or advice.

Shannon
    There is a web site which lists where the records of all hospitals are kept, whether open or closed. I can't find Cherry Knowles records listed.

Ryhope is home to the Cherry Knowles Hospital, the main mental health services complex for the Wearside area, located to the south-west of the village.

Reputation beyond repute

"Ryhope is home to the Cherry Knowles Hospital, the main mental health services complex for the Wearside area, located to the south-west of the village."

Good old Wikipedia!

"There is a web site which lists where the records of all hospitals are kept, whether open or closed. I can't find Cherry Knowles records listed."

More focussed Googling reveals that the current official title is "Cherry Knowle Hospital" and Cherry Knowle is indeed listed on the Hospital Records Database - https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...ds/default.asp

This shows that records are held by the Tyne and Wear Archives Service. The hospital appears to still be open.

Lancelot

[QUOTE=

Good old Wikipedia!

[/QUOTE]

Never heard of that one. Googled it and put it into Favourites to give it a try.

micka

Default cherry knowle

im pretty certain the hospital is still open but only for alcohol and drug related addiction.it stopped mental heath care a few years ago. ther was also a regular hospital in the same ground which was named ryhope general
    hope this is of some use

Shannon

Talking Cherry Knowle Hospital THANKYOU to all.

To Peter, Lancelot and Micka: I want to thank all of you sincerely for helping me out. You all really helped me.

Sincerely,
    Shannon in Canada