comstone

Default South African Constabulary

I've recently discovered than an ancestor served in the South African Constabulary before emigrating from Glasgow to Canada. He apparently serve in the Constabulary in 1901-1902.

Does anyone know how men from Lanarkshire entered the Constabulary, what units from Lanarkshire went to South Africa, and if there are any records in Scotland of such military service?

Are there any indexes for SA Constabulary service available, either on-line, or through the Archives?

Thanks,

Bruce J. Martin
    [email protected]

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by comstone
    Are there any indexes for SA Constabulary service available, either on-line, or through the Archives?
    I read an answer to a similar question somewhere else, but can't for the life of me think when or where. The respondent then pointed the questioner towards the South African Archives:
    https://www.national.archives.gov.za/

However, The National Archives onlone catalogue https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...ue/default.asp
    indicates that they have some pension applications in Dominion Office (DO) and Treasury (T) records and also medal rolls (in WO100)

Geoffers

comstone

Geoffers,

Thank you. The ancestor in question "purchased" his discharge after about 16 months of service. Do you believe, then, there would be no pension?

Thanks for your reply and explanation.

Bruce

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by comstone
    The ancestor in question "purchased" his discharge after about 16 months of service. Do you believe, then, there would be no pension?
    I don't know the conditions of service, but as a guess I would think he would not be entitled to a pension

Geoffers

pwenlock

Check the Imperial Yeomanry QSA & KSA medal rolls. He may have transfered to the SAC at the end of his initial engagement.

Yours aye
    Paul

joette

My Grandfather did that.He served with his regiment in the Boer conflict & then transferred to the SAC. I know he was sickened with his duties & left.How I don't know but he was in F&F Sept.1914 despite being a miner!I guess because he was still in the Reserves.Went to the Boer conflict for a bit of excitement!He was only 15/16 so not very mature.

comstone

Paul,

Excellent suggestion, thank you. Something more to keep me busy!

Bruce

KemmeySmith

Just found this site. A friend asked me to find out anything about No. 498 Sgt R.A. Hodgins, 'T' Mobile Troop, S.A. Constabulary, aged 28 in 1903. His family came from Brosna, Co. Kings (Offaly), Ireland. Possibly of interest to you, I hope so, anyway.

sue1959

hi Just found this link. I have a relative Robert Jamieson who served in th eboer war then joined SAC police. Returned to Ireland 1909 after being pensioned out due to an attack which left him with plsates in ihis head and an uncontrolable temper?
    I'm looking for marriage records in SA if any one has info please.