KirstenMck

Question BRETTELL, Frederick Arthur

Hello
    I am looking for information about my Grand Father - Frederick Arthur BRETTELL.
    Frederick Arthur BRETTELL was at sea during WWII. He had one brother - Dennis, and one sister - Joyce.
    I know that my father, David Anthony BRETTELL, was born in Newport in 1946, and moved to NZ approx 3 years later with his family.
    I am looking for information about my Great Grand Parents.
    Thank you
    Kirsten

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KirstenMck
    Hello
    Frederick Arthur BRETTELL was at sea during WWII. He had one brother - Dennis, and one sister - Joyce.
    I know that my father, David Anthony BRETTELL, was born in Newport in 1946, and moved to NZ approx 3 years later with his family.
    Thank you
    Kirsten
    Kirsten, it can be difficult to do 20th century family research because census data and many records are often still closed to the public.

Your grandfather was probably born some time around 1915 to 1925. Do you know when? Do you know the names of his parents and when and where they were born? Do you have any records such as birth or marriage certificates?

Have you looked at the 1901 census for possible BRETTELL ancestors, including your great grandparents?

There are 8 BRETTELLS listed, including a Frederick J. BRETTELL born about 1897 in Newport. Parents are Emma and John BRITTELL. Siblings are Dorothy M. and Joseph H. BRITTELL. Father is a mason and the family is living in Newport. Not much of a lead, I'm afraid.

Trish

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default I know who your great grandparents are.

Quote Originally Posted by KirstenMck View Post
    Hello
    Thank you
    Kirsten
    Kirsten, I know that this thread is old and so if you have found what you're looking for I apologize for being slow to the game. I have been researching parts of your family for the last 4 years.

My husband is a relative of Frederick Arthur Brettell's wife, Margaret Elnora Williams, (born in Newport in 1922) who is the daughter of Winifred Constance Sketch and John Trevor Williams. Winifred Constance Sketch (born in Cwmbran in 1880) and John Trevor Williams, (born in Goldcliff in 1881) were half 1st cousins. They both had the same grandmother, but not the same grandfather. Winifred's parents are Catherine Price, (born in Aberystruth in 1842) and Henry Bolt Sketch, born in Newport in 1838). John Trevor Williams' parents are Henry Williams, born in Aberystruth in 1840) and Anna Jenkins, (born in Bishton in 1845).
    Catherine Price's parents are William Price, (born in Glamorganshire in 1818) and Anne (nee Evans) Williams, born in somewhere in Monmouthshire in 1809). Henry Williams' parents are Anne (nee Evans) and William Henry Williams, (born in Gelligaer, Glamorgan in 1764). Yes. Catherine Price and Henry Williams are half siblings. But it gets even more interesting. The glue that holds all of these people together is William Price. He was Catherine Price's father, Henry Williams step father and Anna Jenkins step father. I'll bet your head is swimming now. There's a lot more!

Here is the Family Search website with information starting at William Price. If you look for the names I have given you you'll find all the documentation.
    https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...tails/LKYD-SWY

I'd love to communicate with you...I have been looking for more information about the Brettell side that immigrated to NZ.
    Cynthia Decker
    cynthiadeckerATsbcglobalDOTnet
    Last edited by christanel; 08-01-2018 at 6:41 PM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums cbdecker
    Unfortunately KirstenMck is no longer a member of Brit-Gen as indicated by the word Guest under her user name so will not receive email information of your post. There is the possibility that she still visits as a guest.
    Your informative post is now out 'there' waiting for others to find in the future.
    If you are needing help with the NZ side of the Brettel family you could start a thread of your own giving the information you have and what it is you are wanting to find out and our sleuths will try to help.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums cbdecker
    Unfortunately KirstenMck is no longer a member of Brit-Gen as indicated by the word Guest under her user name so will not receive email information of your post. There is the possibility that she still visits as a guest.
    Your informative post is now out 'there' waiting for others to find in the future.
    If you are needing help with the NZ side of the Brettel family you could start a thread of your own giving the information you have and what it is you are wanting to find out and our sleuths will try to help.
    Christina
    THANKS for teaching me! I'll do it. I'll post what I'm working on and ask for help. THANKS again.