Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    pockets

Default McCracken - Carter families

Greetings from New Zealand,

I'm looking for my great grandfather, David McCracken born 1859 Padstow, his father was James McCracken who married Phillipa Carter.
    David married Jessie Ann Inkster here in New Zealand. I have no idea when he migrated to NZ so any info of the above would be most appreciated.

I'm very new to this genealogy and have got hooked very quickly
    Thanks in advance
    Julianne

Scottie

Thumbs up James McCracken born Scotland married in Cornwall

Quote Originally Posted by pockets
    Greetings from New Zealand,

I'm looking for my great grandfather, David McCracken born 1859 Padstow, his father was James McCracken who married Phillipa Carter.
    Julianne
    Hello Julianne,
    I can tell you that James McCracken was not born in Padstow. He was a Mariner born in Scotland. I believe Philippa Carter to be the daughter of William Baron Carter and Maria Langdon married 22 sep 1814 in St Mawgan. Most of their children were born in St Columb Minor but Philippa says she was born St Mawgan or Padstow in the censuses. I can take the Langdons back to about 1720 in St Columb Major. William Baron Carter was also a Mariner and was dead by 1851 so I have been unable to find his birthplace as yet.

James and Philippa had 4 children in Padstow all baptised as Bible Christians.

Scottie

Thumbs up James McCracken's children

Part 2

The children were Janet born 1855 Padstow christened 28 Oct 1858 on St Ervan Bible Christian Circuit married a man called Anderson and had a son born 1878 in Padstow. She was in London in 1881

Mary was born in 1856 and baptised with Janet. She married a Thomas Boulter and was also in London in 1881

James was born 1858 and christened on the same date as the girls. I have no sighting of him after 1861

David was born in 1859 and baptised 8 Jul 1859 on the St Ervan Bible Christian Circuit. He was still in Padstow in 1871 with his Mother but was not with her in 1881. She was in London by then. I hope this helps a little

Scottie

Thumbs up William Baron Carter of St Endellion

Hello again,
    I have found William Baron Carter born 1794 in St Endellion to Thomas Carter and Susanna Baron married 18 Aug 1793 in Altarnun. He was the eldest son and there were ten children in all.

pockets

Thumbs up McCracken

woohoo you are good!!!
    What a wonderful introduction to your site. I thought you might like to know that James McCracken apparently jumped ship somewhere along the way and ended up down under.
    thanks again and I will be in touch again soon I'm sure
    J

pockets

EEEEK!! apologies for that last statement as it was David who apparently jumped ship.
    David McCracken is my GG Grandfather who is the one who jumped ship here. He married Jessie Ann Inkster who came to NZ on the 'Star of China' in 1875.
    They had 5 children of which one is my grandmother Elizabeth McCracken who married William Wallace Gibson.
    Thanks again
    cheers
    Julianne

cboulter

Hello, I don't know if you are still looking for family connections but I think this may help.
    Phillipa (McCraken) Carter was my Great,Great Grandmother, her daughter married Thomas Boulter (Great Grandfather)from Bristol. Their son George Boulter (Grand Father born1881) married Alice ?? their Son Sidney George Boulter was my father.

I hope this is OK

Colin Boulter

Jan1954

Hello Colin - welcome to Brit-Gen,

Unfortunately, Julianne (Pockets) has not visited the forum for nearly 3 years. However, she is still a member and, if you click on her user-name, a drop-down menu appears. Two of the options are to send a private message or an email.

Good luck,