Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen. Aislin's Avatar

I discovered that I'm related to the Yales (of the University fame). Doesn't make me any smarter though...

Lurch Addams

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    "Lurch, what a stunning piece of work by your ancestor!" What a terrific find for you
    I would have prefered to find it in the cupboard ,

but at least everybody gets to see it where it is.

Apparantly there is another "work" of his there,i must go and see what it is.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch Addams View Post
    I would have prefered to find it in the cupboard ,

but at least everybody gets to see it where it is.

Apparantly there is another "work" of his there,i must go and see what it is.

I think I would feel like you do..... prefer it to be in my cupboard, but at least you know it is being well taken care of and will be appreciated for many generations to come where it is. At least they let you take a picture so you can have that. All that intricate work is really beautiful.

Sue

Davran

I am descended from Rev George Sexton. "Who was he?", I hear you ask. Well in his day he was a well-known preacher, who merits a chapter in the recently-published book by Timothy Larsen called "Crisis of Doubt".

George was the son of a Norfolk farmer, who, by means unknown, became the possessor of various letters after his name. He was a surgeon and doctor of law, amongst other things, and wrote a number of books and lectures on religious and medical matters. He collaborated with Conan Doyle on a book about spiritualism, but then returned to Christianity.

He must have been quite a character. One of his works was on the subject of "infidelity" (probably towards the church), which made me laugh because this highly-respected figure led a double life, having an actress as a mistress and several illegiitmate children. He went on a lecture tour of North America in the early 1880s (to escape the complications of having both wife and mistress?) and died in Canada in 1898.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I think finding that a relative was murdered supposedly by aboriginies in 1854 what a story what a treasure loads of chasing this story trying to fill in the details and making strides forward thanks to the internet.

Valued member of Brit-Gen. Aislin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Davran View Post
    I am descended from Rev George Sexton. "Who was he?", I hear you ask.
    Good ears. I'm in the US.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Our family legend says we were related to Catherine Parr but since she died without issue (rumours of a daughter born abound) I am 99.9% sure its untrue. However my 3x gt uncle George Parr who was a bookseller and stationer in Barnes Surrey is supposed to have entertained Chalres Dickens at his shop together with other academics how I can prove this I dont know. I know there is a Dickens society but feel silly writing to them although I would actually love this because I really like Dickens.
    Without naming names my ex brother in law has a famous food writer as his cousin although I never met him

Barnzzz

My husband has a chairman of Hovis and the "man who invented adventure playgrounds" in his tree.

My mum is convinced we are descended from Anne Boleyn's sister, Mary. We shall see.......

Sue

Wirral

The niece of my g,g,g,g-grandfather, Mary Ann CHAWORTH, was Lord Byron's childhood sweetheart. Byron's Mary was the inspiration for some of his early poems, until he overheard her refer to him as "that lame boy". He later said his life might have been very different if he had married Miss Chaworth.
    Maybe he wouldn't have been "mad, bad & dangerous to know"!

Toronto

Default Exciting find.................

My exciting find was the project that started me on my family quest............. I was searching for a grandmother for ten years who gave my mother way. Finally, three weeks ago, I located a cousin of hers through snail mail who was able to tell me about her and where she lived and about her new families.

Merry Christmas to you all and truly ................ a very happy new year.

Mike Morris
    Toronto Canada ex Manchester England

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast