Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    Settling in

Default Thomas Hilliker

Many thanks for your kind offer. I see that Jane has advised me to seek the information through the State Library of NSW.
    I'm not sure how to do that but will certainly look into it for future information.
    But for now I would be delighted to receive the information 'on line' from you.
    As I am new to this forum, I am not sure how to send a private email to you with my email address included.
    Regards, Bill

Settling in

Thank you for that information Jane. I will follow up on your advice and see how to go about joining the State Library shortly.
    Nice to be in touch with someone just up the road from me!
    Regards
    Bill

Settling in

Megan, I didn't respond to your mention of John Hilliker. I don't have any information on John, he could have been a sibling of Thomas. The info that I do have is that Thomas was the son of Thomas c1745-1819 and Elizabeth Ebsworth c1749-1831.
    Regards
    Bill

spison

Quote Originally Posted by Bill King View Post
    Nice to be in touch with someone just up the road from me! Regards Bill
    Nice to 'meet' you Bill. A quick search for join the state library of NSW will get you what you want to know. They're also accessible through the NLA with a card and these can be posted (or you can drive there - It's only three hours away). I have library cards for both as the resources available with a card from home are just amazing.

Jane

Mallyjam

Such an interesting thread and thanks Jane for your heads up on the NSW State Library. Had no idea I could access UK newspapers that way. I do know they hold some local histories I am keen to have a look at.

I logged in here this morning hoping there might be some links to a famous rellie of mine and stumbled on this thread. Many more interesting posts here than mine but have just come across a fellow who married into my mother's family and happens to be the grandson of a Danish Baron. Seems he was notable in more ways than one - a jurist as well as a political scientist who worried about the fallout from the French revolution and the Jacobin terrorists - how it might drive people back to despotism.

Happens many of my rellies were convicts that became Australian 'royals' - thrived and became upright citizens in the colony of New South Wales. One came over on the Neptune with the rest of the Second Fleet. The master was the notorious Captain Traill whose infamous treatment of convicts aboard landed him before the Admiralty Court. But they had to prosecute him privately. There was no public prosecution. They let him get away with it. The tale is so horrific I doubt you could read it and not be moved.

Gala crowds gathered on Sydney Cove On a frigid June day in 1790 to greet the Ships of the Second Fleet - the first to enter the Heads for more than two years. They were intrigued by the strange behaviour of one, the transport Neptune. From her decks as she tacked up harbour, the crew kept tossing white objects overboard. Curiosity turned to horror as the truth dawned. The "objects" now bobbing in the harbour were the emaciated remains of starved, tortured and diseased convicts who had perished on the voyage. Like a ghost ship, the Neptune dropped anchor and began unloading men in cargo hoists because they were too weak to walk --- ending one of the blackest chapters in the history of convict transportation.

Sydney Daily Mirror May 21, 1954 page 17

Becksome

Hi there,

'Apparantly' when you get back 16 generation you should find that "we are all related" so someone told me..Not found my yet!

Clicked reply on post dated 03-01-2006 from Kazbutler and it ended up on the last page, makes no sense now..

Newbie just looking round...happy searching to all of us
    Last edited by Becksome; 22-07-2012 at 11:09 PM. Reason: my message did not appear under where i clicked to reply, ended up at the end of all message board, so did not seem relvent

Coromandel

Hi Becksome and welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by Becksome View Post
    Clicked reply on post dated 03-01-2006 from Kazbutler and it ended up on the last page, makes no sense now..
    As you've discovered, replies always get posted at the end of the thread. If you want to comment on a point in a post earlier in the thread, you can use the 'Reply with Quote' option instead. By default the whole message is quoted but you can edit it down: just make sure you leave the QUOTE tag at the beginning and /QUOTE at the end (in square brackets).

P.S. or just refer to the individual post, as you did in your edit.

Quote Originally Posted by Becksome View Post
    Newbie just looking round...happy searching to all of us
    Yes, happy searching!

emeraldwitch

I've been a little lucky. While researching my dad's Rockwell line I discovered Geoffrey Chaucer is my 16x great-uncle. My husband's 16x great-grandfather was John Seton, 4th Earl of Seton, from Seton, East Lothian, Scotland. Finding interesting people is always fun but the ordinary folks have interesting stories too. I like my American pioneers. 😊

bettyespana

After searching for my Gt Grandparents marriage(maternal) I had no success.Reason being it turned out that Gt Grandmother had run off with her step-father. Hence no marriage.They eventually had 7 children the eldest being my Grandmother!!
    I also found on my paternal side that I am part of the original Earl of Caithness line(passed to a cousin due to a disputed marriage which has since been proved) which leads back to Margaret Tudor & also John Baliol who apparently was my 21st Gt Grandfather

A fountain of knowledge

No one really in/famous in my trees, mainly Ag. Lab and Miners, although there is a Stonemason with his own quarry, also a Farmer/Cotton Factory owner. And a tentative link to 'Uncle Bill' toffees.(not confirmed)

The best bit is coincidence, my father was Harold Wilson, no not that one, at one time we lived next to Edward Heath, no not that one either. It caused some amusement at election time and was mentioned in the local press. (For the youngsters and overseas members they were both Prime Ministers of UK)

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast