Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Genevieve

Question 'Shreston' in Suffolk - where could this be?

Hello

I'm trying to work out the birthplace of my ancestor Elizabeth HOUSDEN from the 1851 census image on Ancestry. They have transcribed it as Shreston but I cannot locate any place of that name.

Looking at the image 'Shreston' doesn't look like a bad interpretation so on this occation I cannot put the blame at their door.

I don't know Suffolk at all well so, does anyone have any suggestions?

Piece no. 1753 folio 621.

Thanks

busyglen

Could it be any of these Genevieve?

Stuston, Stanton, Sotherton, Sapiston.

I don't have access to Ancestry so can't look at the image. I am assuming that it starts with `S'. Sometimes an `L' can be mistaken for `S' but in this instance, I couldn't work out what the following letters could be.

Hope someone else has a better idea.

Glenys

Mythology

Like Glenys, I don't have an Ancestry sub so guessing blind ....

In addition, an S and a T can be similar in some handwriting styles - there's bound to be a Thomas in the same writing, so that should tell you if this is the case here. If so, I would also consider Thurston.

busyglen

Good thinking Myth....in that case there is also a Troston which could possibly fit also.

Glenys

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Genevieve
    I'm trying to work out the birthplace of my ancestor Elizabeth HOUSDEN from the 1851 census image on Ancestry. They have transcribed it as Shreston but I cannot locate any place of that name.
    Out of interest, how old was she in 1851? Would she turn up in 1861 and that image be easier to read? (In 1861, there's an 81 yr old Elizabeth Housden born in Trowson, presumably Troston) Where was she living in 1851, was she still in Suffolk and are there any of the same surname born in Suffolk where the place name is anything similar to hers?

S can easily be mistaken for F or T

Geoffers

Genevieve

Smile

Thanks for your input everyone.

At the time of the 1851 census she is living in Biggleswade and her age is given as 57.

I have found out from my cousin that he has her down as born in Thurston, Suffolk which looks like a feasible reading. He has her as being buried in Biggleswade in 1881 at the age of 101 (I have found a death entry in the BMD index for an Elizabeth HOUSDEN in Biggleswade in 1881 aged 101). This doesn't of course tie in with her being 57 in 1851.

He has her maiden name as KIRKINS.

However, in the 1851 census she has a nephew living with her named James GRIKIN. There are no other individuals of this name in the Ancestry index. But, there is a whole clutch of people with the surname GIRKIN in Troston, Suffolk (and nearby Gt Livermere) in the index. The KIRKINS meanwhile are mainly from Derbyshire.

So, Troston looks like the more likely candidate.

Thanks again,

Gen
    Last edited by Genevieve; 30-12-2005 at 9:55 PM.

Geoffers

1861 census
    RG9/996 f149 p13 sch.61
    Biggleswade
    Elizabeth HOUSDEN, hd, wid, 81,occupier of land, bn Suffolk, Trowson
    George Housden, grandson, unm, 16, labourer, bn Bedford, Biggleswade

Geoffers

Genevieve

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers
    1861 census
    RG9/996 f149 p13 sch.61
    Biggleswade
    Elizabeth HOUSDEN, hd, wid, 81,occupier of land, bn Suffolk, Trowson
    George Housden, grandson, unm, 16, labourer, bn Bedford, Biggleswade

Geoffers
    More support for Troston then.

George is most likely my gt gt grandfather though different strands of the family did use the same names and lived close to eachother so plenty of scope for confusion!

Thanks again,

Gen

Genevieve

Default How do I find out what parish Troston was in?

Please excuse my ignorance about parishes (I know you will) I am still quite new to parish records.

How can I find out what parish Troston would have been in at the time of Elizabeth's birth?

Thanks

Gen

Wirral

The www.genuki.org.uk site is great for finding "lost" parishes. This is the Troston page. https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SFK/Troston/index.html Not much info on it, I'm afraid. The county page may be more useful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast