clarefmshaw

Default Barlogue, Co Cork

Sorry if people have seen this post before, but I've posted on the coastguardsofyesteryear site about Barlogue (presumably a coastguard station? - it's in Co Cork, whatever), hoping that someone might know why this place should have been deemed a 'punishment'?

Barlogue was the 'punishment' meted out to my coastguard forebear, Bartholomew Lyden, in 1879.

Sorry if everyone has already seen this post on the other forum, but wondering if there's anyone who can enlighten me?

best wishes
    Clare

busyglen

Hi Clare,

Have been trying to find out more about Barlogue, but the best I can come up with is that there `was' a Coastguard station there, but it doesn't mention anything about `punishment'. If you go here, you can read a bit about the Cork area and names of C.G. stations and also the gaols etc. Not a lot to help you, but it might give you an insight into the area.

https://www.from-ireland.net/lewis/cork/countycork.htm

Glenys

Wirral

Barlogue is currently described as "a remote creek with room for half a dozen yachts". It is by Lough Hyne & Skibbereen. Countryside looks very pretty & is now popular with yachts & kayaks, but also appears to be in the "back of beyond". The link that Glenys gave you says "the general condition of the labouring poor is very wretched". Maybe that is why it was deemed a punishment to be sent there.

uksearch

I actually lived in that part of the world for a few months a couple of years ago. Beautiful countryside...but don't get stuck behind the in the main streeet of Skibb...you'll be there for ages.

UK

clarefmshaw

hi, I've been away for a few days - thanks everyone for the replies! It seems that Barlogue may then have been rather remote - hence the 'punishment'.

Bartholomew Lyden seems to have had quite an exemplary career - there's no clue on the naval record as to what was the basis of his misbehaviour and need to be punished.

CG stations have always been remote - certainly in previous centuries, they needed to be to keep the CGs and their families away from the general public. Barlogue definitely seemed to have held some sort of Guantanamo Bay status!

many thanks
    Clare
    Last edited by clarefmshaw; 16-12-2005 at 9:31 PM. Reason: spelling

clarefmshaw

And, yes, thanks Glenys for the link. I've realised that I've actually been in this area of Ireland twice before on holidays, before I've known anything about my Irish CG family history!

busyglen

Isn't that always the way!

Good luck, hope you eventually find out the why's for the punishment. Seems strange when he had such a good record. I `suppose' the word `punishment' couldn't have been misinterpreted? Just a thought.

Glenys

clarefmshaw

I've just managed to get hold of William Webb's book 'Coastguard! An official history of HM Coastguard' and it notes the following:

'Punishments [around 1866, for coastguards committing misdemeanors, eg drunkenness, insubordination] included dismissal from service, reduction in rank, loss of good conduct badges, fines and reprimands but in some cases men were transferred at their own expense to another station.....'.

Looks like this is what happened in this case - Barlogue coastguard station which was extra-isolated and poor old Bartholomew had to pay for himself to get there!

busyglen

Glad you now have some idea why he was there Clare. I guess the `extra noggin' he had, or whatever, cost him dearly!

Glenys