Starting to feel at home

Wink Cawnly Corns Whereabouts

I am trying to find Cawnly Corns in Berkshire as according to the 1881 census my G Grandfather was born there. I suspect it may be near Maidenhead and is a very small place. I have tried all the maps in my possession and also Google to no avail. If someone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

David Wilkins

Auckland NZ

richard harby

Smile Cawnley Corns

Hi David
    Have you tried this sight
    www.oldmaps.co.uk/gazetteer
    It has old village maps in the 19 century.I didn't see the name you were looking for but it has some there that could sound the same. It all depends how the person taking the census could spell.I have seen some wacky names on census's that are no where near how they are supposed to be spelt.
    hope this is some help
    Ricky

Starting to feel at home

Default Cawnly Corns

Thanks Ricky, however I get a message that the site has been withdrawn, but offers alternatives which I am looking into. Again many thanks.

David

Auckland NZ

richard harby

Thumbs up Cawnley Corns

Hi David
    my mistake should be www.oldmaps.co.uk
    then it will work okay. just tried it
    ricky

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by richard harby
    Hi David
    Have you tried this sight
    www.oldmaps.co.uk/gazetteer
    I think the URL for the site should be https://www.old-maps.co.uk/

note the hyphen between old and maps. I still can't think of the place, is this from the transcript, or the film copy of hte original?

Geoffers

Wirral

In the 1861 census the place of birth of Joseph Batchelor is given as Cambly Corner, Berks., but I do not know where that is either.

Starting to feel at home

Default Cawnly Corns

Thanks Geoffers and Wirral,

I found him in the 1871 census as born in Maidenhead so I assumed that Cawnly Corns was close by. Cambly Corner 1861 census is an interesting possiblity. It may of course be the name of a farm because they were agricultural labourers. However thanks for your thoughts and trouble it is much appreciated and of course transcription errors are also a problem at times.

David Wilkins

Auckland NZ

Geoffers

Out of interest, is this chap living near where he was born? If so, it seems likely to be a local landmark.

If he's living away from the place he was born, it is possible that the place has been misunderstood - maybe the head of household couldn't write very well and the enumerator had difficulty in reading the writing - so that the schedule in the enumerator's book has a place name which is incorrectly recorded. If he was living away from his birth place, and looking at the reply from Wirral, I just wonder if this is meant to be Camberley, which is in Surrey - a bit south of Maidenhead.

I know you have him born Maidenhead in one census, but do you know where any siblings were born? If he was still a child during 1861/1871 and living with family - and the family had moved between birth of children - I wouldn't find it strange to see some discrepancy in birthplace.

Geoffers

Starting to feel at home

Hi Geoffers

Thanks that is of course another possibility and very likely. In 1881 he was in Middlesex around Marylebone, in 1871 he was with his parents and sister Ann in Wiltshire where Joseph preumably met his wife in the Malmesbury area. His mother and sister were born in Buckinghamshire and father in Hertfordshire.

I think your suggestion of a local landmark is very likely and I much appreciate your help.

Regards

David NZ

Auckland NZ