Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default 1861 Census - Ancestry

I have a person (John Higgs) on the 1861 census living at The Squirrel Inn, Areley Kings, Worcs. I have this image saved to my tree.

However when I go to Ancestry and do a search on the 1861 census for people living in Areley Kings, I get a completely different census. It is district 7 but my person is in district 8. Does anyone know if it possible to search all the census looking for an address? I am trying to find out if The Squirrel Inn was so called prior to 1861 and, if so, who was the Inn Keeper.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Findmypast does allow you to search all censuses by an address. Unfortunately the earliest that Worcester Road, Martley appears is 1861.

Does it say where in District 8 he was?

Super Moderator

District 8. Areley Kings. John Higgs age 37 The Squirrel Inn, Areley Kings. Port Butcher and Inn Keeper, along with his wife Ann, and children Ellen and John. Number 66 on the schedule.

I am trying to find out if The Squirrel Inn was so called prior to 1861 and, if so, who was the Inn Keeper.
    Hi Sue, I hope this helps.

It is possible the Inn changed its name from Dog Inn (1851) to Squirrel Inn before 1861.

If you look at both census the 1851 has Thomas Hill 30, maltster and Innkeeper at Dog Inn Areley Kings

HO107; Piece: 2041; Folio: 184; Page: 14

The census schedule [60] is 5 schedules back from Dunley Toll Gate [65]

In 1861 the Sqirrell Inn schedule [66] is 6 back from Dunley Lodge [72]
    Alma

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I don't know what newspapers for the area are available on the BNA/FMP, but it would be worth looking as newspapers often reported changes of licensees. Just like today, there was a formal procedure and I think it was all approved at the Quarter Sessions.
    There was a similar case not too long ago on BG where a pub changed its name and I'm sure it was proved to be the same pub because of a newspaper report. (Try this thread,
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...t-runaway-quot
    posts 22-25.)
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Worcester Journal, 6 May 1852
    PETTY SESSIONS STOURPORT - APRIL 28
    Taking the benefit of doubt - John Higgs, beer-shopkeeper, residing in Arely Kings, was convicted in the penalty of 1s and 11s 6d costs for keeping his house open til eleven at night. This light penalty was inflicted because it was shown by Mr Burbury that the defendant imagined his house to be within a mile of a polling place, and that he, therefore, had the right to keep it open. It was proved that the house was more than a mile distant.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

John Higgs, beer - shopkeeper of Arely Kings, was convicted of serving out of hours and fined 5s with 19s 6d costs for the morning offence and fined 2s 6d with 10s 6d costs for the afternoon offence on the same Sunday. (Worcester Chronicle, 26 Aug 1857).

Again, the house not named

It is always possible that the boundaries for the census were shifted...

I see that there is an "Areley Kings Village History Group" on Facebook. They might know.

The earliest reference I can find is the Worcester Chronicle, 23 Feb 1853 - " ... an inquest at the Squirrel Inn, Arely Kings ...". No reference to the landlord.

Correction - there was an inquest held at the "Squirrel Beerhouse, Arely Kings" on 14 Feb 1853

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast