Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneM View Post
    Hmm, I'm very tired right now, so this may not be relevant, or even make sense. In 1871 Uriah Gray is aged 25 and in Market Rasen.

In 1891 there is a Uriah Smith, aged 45 and with a birthplace of Market Rasen and living in Dawsons Court, married to Eveline and living alongside a couple of sons of Thomas and Siberamily.

In 1891 Uriah is aged 55, still born Market Rasen, and Eveline has become an Evening. They are listed with Josiah Smith, son of Thomas and Siberamily. I can't, at the minute, find this Uriah Smith before 1891.

It does get addictive, doesn't it? These are my husbands family, and much as I love my own, they did make it very easy for me to research, staying in the same village for generations. I'm finding that the more of a challenge it is, the more fun it is, and the rewards are so much greater.

Joanne - don't do that!!! you frightened the life out of me for a minute. I thought I'd got all my history totally wrong hehe!!!! mentioning Evening who I thought was well and truly dead, linking Uriah to Thomas & Siberamily!!! eeek, naughty girl.

I actually printed out all the inhabitants of Dawsons Court but hadn't had a chance to go through them, although I'd noticed Uriah it didn't really register.

Anyway shock over:-

Harriett Smith 17
    Sibey Smith 52
    Thomas Smith 59
    Thomas Smith 14

are all living together as I expected, the only change is that Harriett b. 1874 has changed her name from Isabella as she was recorded on 1881 Census:-

Ambrus Smith 13
    Herbert Smith 18
    Isabella Smith 7
    Josiah Smith 22
    Mary Ann Smith 12
    Siberamily Smith 40
    Tom Smith 44

Ambrus, Herbert & Josiah have flown the nest by 1891.

Ambrus, has become Ambrose and is living close by with his family:-

Ambrose Smith 32
    Ann Smith 22
    Emily Smith 3

Josiah has now married and still living close by, but has become Isiah:-

Isiah Smith 32
    Isiah Smith 4
    John W Smith 1
    Sarah Smith 23

So far like you I haven't found a Uriah.

I have also lost Herbert - ooops, very careless. There's one possibility but it doesn't really look very likely:-

Emma E Smith 27
    Herbert Smith 29

The interesting one for me is his wife Eveline, Evening. Thomas (1834) husband of Siberamily's mother was Evening, Eveline and finally Eve, but she died 1872. Until now I hadn't come across that name anywhere else. I feel sure there must be a connection.

I'm off to search more for both Uriah & Evening.

BG

JoanneM

Quote Originally Posted by babygirl101 View Post
    Joanne - don't do that!!! you frightened the life out of me for a minute. I thought I'd got all my history totally wrong hehe!!!! mentioning Evening who I thought was well and truly dead, linking Uriah to Thomas & Siberamily!!! eeek, naughty girl.
    Sorry, lol. I thought that there must be a connection with the name Evening. Also thought that the combination of the name Uriah, his age (although he'd probably be the first to be consistent with his age through the census) and the instance of Market Rasen was interesting, although Uriah Gray and Uriah Smith may well be two different people.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneM View Post
    Sorry, lol. I thought that there must be a connection with the name Evening. Also thought that the combination of the name Uriah, his age (although he'd probably be the first to be consistent with his age through the census) and the instance of Market Rasen was interesting, although Uriah Gray and Uriah Smith may well be two different people.
    I'll forgive you lol!!!!

Try this one for size. Keli Gray was on 1881 census living at Dawsons Court:-

Eva Gray 30
    Iisiah Gray 4
    Joseph Gray 10
    Keli Gray 34
    Keli Gray
    Mary Gray 8
    Henry Smith 30
    Mary Ann Smith 31

I can't find them anywhere else after that, as yet! Then suddenly Uriah & co turn up in the same location.

Wife Eva becomes Eveline/Evening (a family name??) right age; daughter Mary Gray aged 8 becomes Maria Smith aged 17 ...

bit of a coincidence, cuold be nothing but ....

here we go again with if's and buts lol

BG

Quote Originally Posted by Ann65 View Post
    & JUST when you all hoped Id finally shut up Ive got a bee in my bonnet!

Now Thomas Smith brother of Moses Smith settled in Eagle Lin with his wife Charlotte.

Now In the 1901 CR with them are one Joseph Gray b.cir 1844 Thorpe Yks and his wife Sophia b.cir 1843 Harby Leic. - and they are described as Neph & Niece.

She is almost certainly the niece - the Sophia Gray b.cir 1841 Harby Leic d/o Moses and Elderi.

and its got up my nose that I have no idea who this Joseph Gray is b.cir 1844 Thorpe Yk.

Now on another census they turn up again and Joseph Gray b.cir 1842 Rotherham Yks is with wife Sophia b.cir 1839 Harby Leic. So far so good.

But then in 1871 suddenly up pops a Uriah Gray b.cir 1845 Atterby Yk with wife Sophia b.cir 1835 Lincoln, visiting with Sidney Gray and Edingirl Smith, Sidney being son of William Gray and Tabitha.
    This is becoming tiresome lol, why can't they just stick to the same names, they clearly had no consideration for us future generations trying to track them down had they??????

I haven't got any record of Sophia marrying, so possibly she married this Joseph Gray, in which he would be a nephew-in-law. It still doesn't explain who he was though, but it would explain what happened to Sophia, b 1841.

Also you refer to Sophia Gray, whereas I have her as Sophia Smith (1861 Census gives her the surname Smith).

Sophia Smith
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1841
    Relation: Daughter
    Father's Name: Moses
    Mother's Name: Eldred
    Where born: Harby, Leicestershire, England

See my earlier post for Uriah. I'll keep on searching.

BG

& JUST when you all hoped Id finally shut up Ive got a bee in my bonnet!

Now Thomas Smith brother of Moses Smith settled in Eagle Lin with his wife Charlotte.

Re Thomas & Moses, I know that were brothers, but I've come up with another Smith on IGI who was also born in Teigh, Rutland the year before Thomas, the only problem being that he has different parents, I wonder if he was a cousin or something:-

LEVI SMITH
    Christening: 17 JUN 1810 Teigh, Rutland, England
    Mother: SOPHIA SMITH

He appears on the 1861 census with his wife Safa (b. c1813) and their family.

My connection to them is with their son Arthur, who it appears later becomes Hawthorn. Hawthorn (b. c1843) was born in Buckminster, Leicestershire. He went on to marry Lydia Smith (aka Ingleton) from Skillington. Lydia being the daughter of Eliza Smith who was married to Robert Smith, son of Robert & Evening Smith.

Hawthorns marriage certificate records Levi as his father and Robert as Lydias father.

Confused, you will be!!! Any help on this one gratefully received.

BG

A fountain of knowledge.

Kelli and Eve/Eva do turn up on other census's - its just the enumerator couldnt spell his name. Try doing a search for eve eva Gray of Sth Ferriby. Youll find them then.

Kelli and Eve/Eva do turn up on other census's - its just the enumerator couldnt spell his name. Try doing a search for eve eva Gray of Sth Ferriby. Youll find them then.
    Well there's a surprise, I've seen it spelt in several different ways lol. So, that's me shot down in flames lol hehe!!!! I'll give that one a go later, but it doesn't solve our mystery man, I'll keep looking

BG

As always Ann, you were quite right, I've found them all, but the spelling leaves a lot to be desired, doesn't it lol. Onwards with the search.

BG

JoanneM

I've spent some time today looking at the children of Elijah Boswell and his various wives.

Ann, earlier on in this thread you gave me his children as:

Isaiah or Elisha c.1823 Welbourn Lin s/o Elijah and Harriet
    Herilah/Riley c.1827 Bole Notts s/o Elijah and Harriet
    William c.1827 Gamston Nott s/o Elijah and Charlotte
    Erydina (Smith or Boswell) c.1830 Upper Langwith Dby d/o Elijah and Charlotte
    Adam c.1830 Walesby s/o Elijah and Charlotte
    Okey c.1830 Sutton Cum Lound, Notts s/o Elijah and Alice
    Sidney c.1831 Walesby
    Annice c.1832 East Markham Nott d/o Elijah and Charlotte
    Jeremiah c.1832 Babworth Notts s/o Elijah and Alice
    Magnus c.1834 Longford Dby s/o Elijah and Alice
    Rudolphus c.1836 Babworth Nott s/o Elijah and Alice
    Joseph c.1837 Clarborough Nott s/o Elijah and Charlotte
    Lucy c.1846 Scotter Lincs. d/o Elijah and Charlotte
    Walter c.1851 Kneesall Nott s/o Elijah and Alice

I've found a newspaper article from 1853 which lists (it says from Elijahs own archives) his children by his three wives. They are listed as:

1. Eliza, born among the ling in Mansfield forest
    2. Henrietta, born in Thieves'-dale-lane, near Osberton
    3. Alfred, born in Treswell Back-lane
    4. Walter, born on Kneesall-green
    5. Adelaide, born in a lane between Langwith and Pleasley
    6. Henry, born in a lane near West Stockwith
    7. Lucy, born under Firbeck-park-side
    8. Adam, born on Walesby Breck
    9. William, born in Gamston-wood
    10. James, born in Layard's Leap, between Newark and Sleaford
    11. Elijah, born near Sturton High-house
    12. Magnus, born in a lane, near Langford
    13. Riley, born near Bole guide-post
    14. Alice, born in a lane, near Mattersey Gorse.

Now whilst there's 14 children in each there's an obvious difference in that the first list has 11 boys and 3 girls, and the second has 9 boys and 5 girls.

The ones that agree are Walter, Adam, William, Magnus, Riley, Erydina/Adelaide and Lucy.

Eliza, born among the ling in Mansfield forest, is, I think, the Eliza Smith on the 1881 census at Dawsons Court who goes on to marry Francis Gray/Mobbs.
    Henrietta, born in Thieves'-dale-lane, near Osberton. No idea who she is, but on an OS map there is an East Thievesdale Wood close to Osberton, near Worksop.
    Alfred, born Treswell Back-lane. Could he be Sidney? Sidney married Eleanor/Ellen Charlotte who had a liaison with Dennis Smith, father of Sylvestia Smith. On Sylvestias marriage cert one of the witnesses was an Alfred Boswell. And Treswell's not far from Retford which Sidney gives as his birthplace.
    Henry, born in a lane near West Stockwith. This is the Henry who shows up as 'brother' on the 1861 census with Surrender and Adelaide and is also in Dawsons Court in 1881.
    James, born in Layard's Leap, between Newark and Sleaford. Again, no idea who he is, but I think his birthplace should be Bayards Leap which is just outside Cranwell in Lincolnshire, and on the road between Newark and Sleaford.
    Elijah, born near Sturton High-house. I think he may be Joseph on the former list, as, looking on an OS map, I've found Sturton High House very close by Clarborough in Nottinghamshire.
    Alice, born in a lane, near Mattersey Gorse. Is she Annice on the first list?

On the first list there is Isiah/Elisha, Okey, Jeremiah and Rudolphus that I can't match up to anyone on the second list (although I suppose Isiah/Elisha could be Elijah although the birthplace doesn't match)

I'm confused now (easily done, I know, lol).

A fountain of knowledge.

Hmmm..... well originally the general names of children came from the book, The Lee Family Tree Vol2, which I purchased many years ago now when it was all much harder to research - I did since check on the IGI for baptisms and found most of them I think. I have since lost them in a hard drive failure but I can spend some time going through the IGI and rechecking data easily enough.

Happy birthday to me by the way, 43 today.

Ann

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast