Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ancestralbone

Default James Grimshaw and wife Mary.

Since I am new here and not sure where to place this I do hope you will forgive me if this is not the correct place to post. I live in the U.S. and am looking for research help. I have a Henry Grimshaw who was my Great Great Grandfather who came to america in the late 1800's. I have tried looking up England census records for him with parents James Grimshaw and Mary. But I have not had any luck. I am not sure about the information I have and is a bit confusing to me. I have him born in Manchester and Lancashire. Are they two counties or town and counties? I need a lesson on how that works and is there a place I could try to find for birth records. I have Henry's birth date but would like to see if I could write for birth information. How does that work in England. Sorry if I do not make too much sense not sure just how to put it and that is not good for a writer. Any help is appreciated and thank you.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Ancestralbone
    I have a Henry Grimshaw who was my Great Great Grandfather who came to america in the late 1800's.

Do you know when he emigrated, or can you tie it down to a decade? When was he born?

I have him born in Manchester and Lancashire. Are they two counties or town and counties?

Manchester is a rather large city with lots of large surburbs which end to get grouped in as part of the city, it used to be in Lancashire. If you're not sure of the geography, there are several online maps which can help, one is www.streetmap.co.uk

continued......

Geoffers

part 2......
    is there a place I could try to find for birth records.

Since 1837 there has been a system of civil registration of births, and marriages, and deaths in place in England and Wales. An event is reported to the local registrar, who copied details to the General Registrar's Office (usually referred to as GRO). The GRO centrally indexed these events and gave them references. The indexes can be searched online. A project to tarnscribe these indexes is available for use free at https://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl
    it is free to search but not complete.

continued.....

Geoffers

part 3......

The complete index is available at 1837 online. This is a pay-per-view web-site. Using a reference that you find there you can apply for copies of certificates online via:
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
    The GRO index usually consists of:
    Year
    Quarter (March covers Jan, Feb, Mar, June covers Apr, may, Jun, etc)
    Surname
    Forename(s)
    Registration District (the area where the event took place)
    Volume
    Page

A little more information was added to the indexes over time, e.g. age at death, spouse's surname at marriage, mother's maiden name at birth
    That's the very basics of the system, I hope that makes sense, but if not or you'd like more detail, please ask.
    Geoffers
    Last edited by Guest; 12-10-2007 at 2:46 PM.

Ancestralbone

Henry Grimshaw born February 17, 1867 died Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California on May 5, 1943. James Grimshaw born about 1840 died about 1921 England. Henry Grimshaw married in the U.S. to a Ethel Donahue Hazelwood. He came to America about 1886 according the 1900 census record. Thank you for the information I do appreciate the help.

uksearch

There is a ref on freebmd for a Henry Grimshaw born Mar qtr 1867 at Chorlton.You can order online from Manchester Register Office.To be certain that it is the correct one state the names of the parents when you order.Do you have any more details,such as James's occupation etc...?

UK

[email protected]

Geoffers

Henry Grimshaw born February 17, 1867 died........James Grimshaw born about 1840
    In view of that, this chap looks favourite from the 1881 census:
    RG11/3930 f53 p2
    94, Lower Moss Lane, Hulme
    James H. GRIMSHAW, hd, mar, 46, baker and flour dealer, bn Stockport, Lancs
    Sarah Grimshaw, wf, mar, 38, bn Manchester
    Mary Grimshaw, dau, 16, dressmaker, bn Dukenfield
    Henry Grimshaw, son, 14, errand boy, bn Openshaw
    Sarah E Grimshaw, dau, 11, scholar, bn Manchester
    Gertrude Grimshaw, dau, 9, scholar, bn Manchester
    Walter Grimshaw, son, 5, schoalr, bn Hulme
    James A Grimshaw, son, 2, bn Hulme
    Ernest E Grimshaw, son, 6mth, bn Hulme
    Mary Evans, servant, unm, 20, general servant, bn Wales

Hulme is just south of the city centre, Openshaw a bit to the east. If you use the online map mentioned, you'll get an idea of where they are. Do get the certificate, the reference to which was found by UK.

Geoffers

Just to add to my last posting, the 1901 census is available online

Search on James Grimshaw, aged 65 +/- 5 years and born Stockport and you get one hit. It may be worth paying to view the image if you think it may be of use; or you might wait 'til you have a few entries to look at in the 1901 census before think it worthwhile.

Geoffers

Ancestralbone

Quote Originally Posted by uksearch
    There is a ref on freebmd for a Henry Grimshaw born Mar qtr 1867 at Chorlton.You can order online from Manchester Register Office.To be certain that it is the correct one state the names of the parents when you order.Do you have any more details,such as James's occupation etc...?

UK

[email protected]
    Unfortunately I do not know James Grimshaw's occupation but I do have his children:

James Grimshaw born about 1840 died about 1921 in England
    Mary Grimshaw wife no dates for her or a maiden name
    Mary Grimshaw daughter:born about 1865, England
    Henry Grimshaw son:born on February 17, 1867 in England died on May 5, 1943 Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
    Gertrude Grimshaw daughter: born about 1872, England
    Walter Grimshaw son:born about 1876 and died 1959 in England
    Arthur Grimshaw son: no dates for him
    Nellie Grimshaw daughter: no birth date died January 17, 1945 England.

Mary Grimshaw wife no dates for her or a maiden name
    Mary Grimshaw daughter:born about 1865, England
    Henry Grimshaw son:born on February 17, 1867 in England died on May 5, 1943 Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
    Gertrude Grimshaw daughter: born about 1872, England
    Walter Grimshaw son:born about 1876 and died 1959 in England
    Arthur Grimshaw son: no dates for him
    Nellie Grimshaw daughter: no birth date died January 17, 1945 England.

As far as we know the only one who came to America was Henry. Walter and Nellie did not have any children. Mary and Henry had children for sure but Mary's children were born in Canada I think I will have to double check myself there. Henry's children were born here in America. I only have a spouces listed for Mary, Gertrude, Walter, Arthur.

Thank you so much for helping me out at least I am getting places to look. It meant so much to my late Grandfather to find his mother's side of the family. Henry has on surviving son that is trying to also find more of his Grimshaw's. Again thank you so much.

Ancestralbone

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers
    Just to add to my last posting, the 1901 census is available online

Search on James Grimshaw, aged 65 +/- 5 years and born Stockport and you get one hit. It may be worth paying to view the image if you think it may be of use; or you might wait 'til you have a few entries to look at in the 1901 census before think it worthwhile.

Geoffers
    Through the local Mormon church I have searched some England census records but none matched with James and Mary and their children. They have records that go back to 1851 but I have not found anyone who could fit this family. Although I have found the two daughters Mary and Gertrude with their husbands. No sign of Henry's brothers though. Thank you for the link I am looking at it now it may have more records then Ancestry does. Thank you for all your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast