Thread: Owen, Roberts,

carolburns

Question Owen, Roberts,

MOTHER'S FATHER - RICHARD OWEN b APRIL 1908 HOLYHEAD

Richard is my Mother's father and was born in Wynne Street, Holyhead to Edward John Owen and Mary Jones. At that time Edward John was a Brickmaker. Edward John and Mary married in November 1905 and had a son named Edward in 1906. There is also another son, William who we think was born about 1910 but can find no record of him anywhere.

Edward John Owen was born 2 Feb 1884 in Baptist Street, Holyhead and his mother's name, according to the birth certificate was Margaret Owen. There was no fathers name. The child was registered by Ann Owen, mother to Margaret who lived at 14 Baptist St where the birth had taken place. I checked the census for 1881 and found Ann Owen(b 1836 Holyhead) with her husband John Owen (b 1823 Holyhead- Stone mason or nailmaker) living in Baptist St. There is no sign of Margaret even back to the 1861 census.

In 1891 Edward John was living in Vulcan Street with his widowed auntie, Elizabeth E Owen (nee Roberts - b 1844 Holyhead) and he was in the name of Roberts NOT Owen. In 1901 he reverted back to Owen.

When I sent for the marriage certificate of Edward John and Mary I found that his father's name was John Roberts - Seaman deceased. John is also in previous census' as Ship's Carpenter and was born in 1837 in Holyhead to Robert and Mary Roberts. Robert was a farmer from Holyhead. John is living in 52 Vulcan St with his sister Elizabeth E Owen (widowed) in 1881

Since searching for Edward John, I have found that he had a sister named Harriet Owen born about 1893 (give or take a year or two) and she married Lewis Williams and had 4 children - Margaret, David, Donald and Walter. This means that his mother Margaret must have been alive at that time though still haven't found anything about her.

Harriet took care of my Grandfather Richard Owen when he was a small child as his mother, Mary Jones, died within a few years of him being born. Edward John then went on to marry Kate Elizabeth Evans b 1897 Holyhead and they had another 10 children (3 still living in Holyhead). Edward John died on 5 March 1962 in Holyhead and Kate died in October 1981 in Holyhead.

I have found no other details of John Roberts except his birth and his parents.

I was hoping that someone out there may be able to help in finding this family anywhere in the census' I have got the 1861 image for John and Mary Owen and also the 1891 and 1901 for Edward John Owen. The ones that are deluding me are as fn I sent for the marriage certificate of Edward John and Mary I found that his father's name was John Roberts - Seaman deceased. John is also in previous census' as Ship's Carpenter and was born in 1837 in Holyhead to Robert and Mary Roberts. Robert was a farmer from Holyhead. John is living in 52 Vulcan St with his sister Elizabeth E Owen (widowed) in 1881

I have found no other details of John Roberts except his birth and his parents.

1861 - John Roberts
    1871 - John Roberts, John and Ann Owen
    1881 - Edward John Owen, Margaret Owen (d.o.b. unknown)
    1891 - John Roberts, JOhn and Ann Owen, Margaret Owen
    1901 - John Roberts, Margaret Owen

Thanks for reading this and I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help
    Last edited by Guest; 30-09-2007 at 12:37 PM.

AnnB

I can't help you directly, but there are a lot of links to be found with regards searching for Anglesey info at https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/AGY/.

Sorry if you have already been there

Best wishes
    Ann

carolburns

Thanks Ann

I will try that site and see what else I can find

Carol