Thread: arnolds kent

Starting to feel at home

Default arnolds kent

hi sorry if i m not on the right thread, but i still have no idea what i m doing on this site, but anyways here goes, there seems to be 3 families of arnolds in kent in this time period, theres a family of them in faversham there a marriage for william arnold and mary solly 1787 fav, children born to them are william 1788, sarah 1789, edward 1791, mary 1793, william 1794, richard 1797, john 1801, elizabeth 1804, and esther 1806 all faversham

then theres a marriage for william arnold and mary friend 1783 in worth the children to them are james 1787, richard 1789, elizabeth 1793 and thomas 1796 all worth

there is also another arnold family, part of my family but though the parents are also called william and mary arnold i can find no marriage for them, william the father is from st margaret at cliff kent but the children are all born at lydden, they are richard 1792, elizabeth 1793, james 1796 and henry 1798 all lydden

even though some of these children in the different families were born in the same year they re baptized at different times so they must be 3 separate families but unfortunately my line is the one that i can find no marriage for , typical, most people on ancestry have the parent for the lydden line as william arnold and mary solly married in faversham, even i did but looking at it properly that cant be and faversham is a long way from lydden

just really wanting some one to look at it and see if they agree that theres 3 families but only 2 marriages and wheres the 3 rd marriage for my arnold in lydden

thankyou, cathie

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

First question, Cathie, is where have you got all these details from?
    An online index, possibly on Ancestry, FMP, FamilySearch, or FreeREG? Or from the actual pages of the parish registers?
    Have you checked with Kent Archives that the parish registers for marriages in Lydden and St Margaret at Cliff (and other nearby towns/villages) for the time period you want exist? Moreover, if they do exist, have they actually been transcribed/indexed? In the very early days of parish registers baptisms, marriages, and burials were all in one register, but from 1754 marriages should have been recorded in a separate register.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    First question, Cathie, is where have you got all these details from?
    An online index, possibly on Ancestry, FMP, FamilySearch, or FreeREG? Or from the actual pages of the parish registers?
    Have you checked with Kent Archives that the parish registers for marriages in Lydden and St Margaret at Cliff (and other nearby towns/villages) for the time period you want exist? Moreover, if they do exist, have they actually been transcribed/indexed? In the very early days of parish registers baptisms, marriages, and burials were all in one register, but from 1754 marriages should have been recorded in a separate register.
    hi i ve got all the births from FMP and the 2 marriages i can find are for 1787 william kingsford and mary solly faversham and 1792 for william arnold and mary friend worth, as i said theres a loads of childrens births for william and mary all born in faversham so i dont see how the 4 births of the children in my family richard, elizabeth, james and henry that i have the original birth records for lydden can be the children of either marriage mentioned, though their parents are calld william and mary , theres also 4 births in worth as well, i would have thought that marriages would be available throughout kent in the late 1700 s ?, thanks again cathie

ps everyone on ancestry has mary solly as being the mother of the 4 children born lydden, but this cant be ??

Starting to feel at home

pps all the lydden born children are on the census saying lynned born also, i m just going to look see if the faversham children are on the census s

Starting to feel at home

i ve just gone through most of the faversham children, they stay there, marry there on census s and death, so basically william arnold and mary solly are not the parents of the lydden born children, as i said names are the same, but the father william arnold, my 1 st cousin was born at margaret at cliff, but which mary did he marry about 1790 ish ??

I've cobbled together various parts of your posts (and mine ) to hopefully make it all gel.

From post #3.
    ps everyone on ancestry has mary solly as being the mother of the 4 children born lydden, but this cant be ??
    Do not believe other people's family trees, especially if your research leads to different conclusions. One person posts what they think is correct, and everyone else blindly copies, without actually checking anything. My cousin gaily copied someone else's tree and had our great-grandfather not only fathering children in the north of the county when he only lived in the south of it, but also about fifteen years after he'd died!

From your post #1.
    theres a family of them in faversham there a marriage for william arnold and mary solly 1787 fav, children born to them are william 1788, sarah 1789, edward 1791, mary 1793, william 1794, richard 1797, john 1801, elizabeth 1804, and esther 1806 all faversham
    From your post #4.
    i ve just gone through most of the faversham children, they stay there, marry there on census s and death, so basically william arnold and mary solly are not the parents of the lydden born children,
    So that would seem to successfully rule out the Faversham William and Mary as being connected to the children in Lydden/St Margaret at Cliffe.

From my post #2.
    Have you checked with Kent Archives that the parish registers for marriages in Lydden and St Margaret at Cliff (and other nearby towns/villages) for the time period you want exist? Moreover, if they do exist, have they actually been transcribed/indexed?
    My internet is playing up big time (again!) and isn't allowing me to access FMP to check anything, but from a dataset list that I complied some time ago I've managed to find a list of the Kent parishes included on FMP and both Lydden and St Margaret at Cliffe marriages for circa 1790s appear to be included.

From your post #3.
    i would have thought that marriages would be available throughout kent in the late 1700 s ?,
    Not necessarily. One of my churches caught fire so at least one of the parish registers (obviously the one I really wanted!!) was lost.
    Actually, that has reminded me. I think the list of dates for coverage of the parishes on FMP is the earliest and latest dates that are included. It doesn't note if any registers are missing, so I think you do need to check with Kent Archives that the marriage register(s) for Lydden and St Margaret at Cliffe circa 1780-1790 do exist.

From your post #1.
    then theres a marriage for william arnold and mary friend 1783 in worth the children to them are james 1787, richard 1789, elizabeth 1793 and thomas 1796 all worth
    You've checked the Faversham and Lydden children. Have you checked the Worth lot?

I would have perhaps said there's a strong possibility that the Worth family moved to Lydden (WOrth to Lydden is only about 9-10 miles) but Thomas baptised 1796 in Worth and James baptised 1796 in Lydden sort of confuses things. Unless Thomas was baptised on 1 January and James on 31 December. Though that still leaves two Elizabeths baptised in 1793.

As well as checking with Kent Archives re the existence of all marriage registers, you need to check if either an entry has been mis-indexed/transcribed, or if the vicar entered a name incorrectly (e.g. John instead of William, or Harnell instead of Arnold).
    I'd search for somebody Arnold marrying a Mary, and a William marrying a Mary, and see what results that finds..

Starting to feel at home

I've cobbled together various parts of your posts (and mine ) to hopefully make it all gel.

From post #3.

Do not believe other people's family trees, especially if your research leads to different conclusions. One person posts what they think is correct, and everyone else blindly copies, without actually checking anything. My cousin gaily copied someone else's tree and had our great-grandfather not only fathering children in the north of the county when he only lived in the south of it, but also about fifteen years after he'd died!

From your post #1.

From your post #4.

So that would seem to successfully rule out the Faversham William and Mary as being connected to the children in Lydden/St Margaret at Cliffe.

From my post #2.

My internet is playing up big time (again!) and isn't allowing me to access FMP to check anything, but from a dataset list that I complied some time ago I've managed to find a list of the Kent parishes included on FMP and both Lydden and St Margaret at Cliffe marriages for circa 1790s appear to be included.

From your post #3.

Not necessarily. One of my churches caught fire so at least one of the parish registers (obviously the one I really wanted!!) was lost.
    Actually, that has reminded me. I think the list of dates for coverage of the parishes on FMP is the earliest and latest dates that are included. It doesn't note if any registers are missing, so I think you do need to check with Kent Archives that the marriage register(s) for Lydden and St Margaret at Cliffe circa 1780-1790 do exist.

From your post #1.

You've checked the Faversham and Lydden children. Have you checked the Worth lot?

I would have perhaps said there's a strong possibility that the Worth family moved to Lydden (WOrth to Lydden is only about 9-10 miles) but Thomas baptised 1796 in Worth and James baptised 1796 in Lydden sort of confuses things. Unless Thomas was baptised on 1 January and James on 31 December. Though that still leaves two Elizabeths baptised in 1793.

As well as checking with Kent Archives re the existence of all marriage registers, you need to check if either an entry has been mis-indexed/transcribed, or if the vicar entered a name incorrectly (e.g. John instead of William, or Harnell instead of Arnold).
    I'd search for somebody Arnold marrying a Mary, and a William marrying a Mary, and see what results that finds..
    hi i ve been looking over my tree and the arnolds in worth are in my tree and cousins also, also the elizabeth in worth was born 1783 not 1793 like i d put sorry for that, could you give me a link to kent genealogy as i m not sure how to get on it, so they are deffo 3 different families

Quote Originally Posted by cathieee View Post
    hi i ve been looking over my tree and the arnolds in worth are in my tree and cousins also, also the elizabeth in worth was born 1783 not 1793 like i d put sorry for that, could you give me a link to kent genealogy as i m not sure how to get on it, so they are deffo 3 different families
    I didn't say Kent genealogy, I said Kent Archives - the building(s) where all the genealogical and archival records for the county of Kent are held. Usually just typing the name of the county followed by either Archives or Record Office in a search engine will get you to the right place. (You've already found a lot of Kent genealogy via the parish registers on FMP.)
    I searched on google, and the result looks easier to follow than if I give you the link to the Archives site. Click on parish registers, and you'll find a list of PRs, and Bishop's Transcripts (supposedly copies of the PRs but very often with anomalies. e.g. PR says Fred and Barbara, BT says Fred and Clara.) Tells you where the records are held, but it doesn't tell you the actual years, which is what you need to find out. e.g. does a parish register or Bishop's Transcript covering the years 1780-1895 for Lydden exist?
    Meanwhile you can click on the links to FMP and search for William and Mary marrying anywhere in Kent for say 1780-1795, and an Arnold marrying a Mary for a similar time span. (I can enter a search but then my internet won't allow me to get an answer.) If you get too many hits for the fifteen year span then reduce it to blocks of say 5 years.

You say the Worth lot are cousins of the Lydden family. Do the Worth family stay there, marrying, baptising children, being buried?

Starting to feel at home

I didn't say Kent genealogy, I said Kent Archives - the building(s) where all the genealogical and archival records for the county of Kent are held. Usually just typing the name of the county followed by either Archives or Record Office in a search engine will get you to the right place. (You've already found a lot of Kent genealogy via the parish registers on FMP.)
    I searched on google, and the result looks easier to follow than if I give you the link to the Archives site. Click on parish registers, and you'll find a list of PRs, and Bishop's Transcripts (supposedly copies of the PRs but very often with anomalies. e.g. PR says Fred and Barbara, BT says Fred and Clara.) Tells you where the records are held, but it doesn't tell you the actual years, which is what you need to find out. e.g. does a parish register or Bishop's Transcript covering the years 1780-1895 for Lydden exist?
    Meanwhile you can click on the links to FMP and search for William and Mary marrying anywhere in Kent for say 1780-1795, and an Arnold marrying a Mary for a similar time span. (I can enter a search but then my internet won't allow me to get an answer.) If you get too many hits for the fifteen year span then reduce it to blocks of say 5 years.

You say the Worth lot are cousins of the Lydden family. Do the Worth family stay there, marrying, baptising children, being buried?
    hi yes the worth family stay in worth and deal area, i m tryin to do look up on Kent Archives and i ve clicked on browse by hierachy, a list comes up but when i click on lydden and dover this comes up in red "Sorry, an error has occured. This catalogue tree cannot be viewed."? but even clicking on ones that dont say that it does nt actually take me anywhere ? just to a new page that has 2 links in a box to the right with hierachy at the top then 2 links to transcripts but when i click on them nothing happens, it does it no matter what place i m clicking on, basically nothing comes up for anything when i click the link ??, cathie