Default Original Lewisham registers ?

I'm a former member, returning to genealogy, and a bit rusty (also not subscribed to any paid sites at this time).

Can someone tell me which archive now holds the original Registers for Lewisham, Kent, for the 1870s?

Thank you--
    Jane E

Brick wall demolition expert!

Welcome back Jane.

Registers for what?

There are lots of free sites that you can use to search for birth, death and marriage records, post 1837, as well as for censuses and parish records.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello again, Jane.

The original parish registers for baptisms, marriages, and burials are held by the London Metropolitan Archives. I suspect that other records for Lewisham will also be held at LMA.

From what I can see the parish registers for St Mary the Virgin, the parish church of Lewisham, are available on Ancestry. Depending on how urban or rural you are, your local library should, or a LDS Family History Centre will, have access to Ancestry. Alternatively, you could try taking out a free trial (remember to make sure you cancel any auto-renew 2 days before the renewal date), or actually take out a sub. Taking out a full sub for any site should be done with care. (Not sure how easy it is to elect to pay monthly, and then cancel after a couple of months.) Unless all the family members were born, baptised, married, died and were buried in the same parish/town, it's unlikely one site will have all the records you need.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post

The original parish registers for baptisms, marriages, and burials are held by the London Metropolitan Archives.
    Thank you, Pam, that is exactly what I needed to know. I'm sorry I neglected to specify BMD Registers. And thank you Megan.
    Jane E