Default Ann Robinson, 1839, Newcastle upon Tyne

Some years ago I purchased a copy of a birth certificate, and now I am re-investigating ...
    Birth Certificate in Registration District of Newcastle Upon Tyne
    1839 Birth in the Sub-district od Saint Nicholas in the County of Newcastle Upon Tyne
    No. :- 192;
    When and where born :- Fourth March 1839 Orchard Street, Parish of St John;
    Name, if any :- John;
    Sex :- Boy;
    Name and surname of Father:- [blank];
    Name, surname and maiden surname of mother :- Ann Robinson;
    Occupation of Father :- [blank];
    Signature, description and residence of informant :- Hannah Pickering, Present at the Birth, Oxford St;
    When registered :- Eighth of March 1839;
    Signature of registrar:- William Findley

I cannot find Ann, or George in the 1840 census.
    Ann might have married before the census but I cannot identify any likely candidates.

Any assistance/advice would be welcomed whole-heartedly.
    thanks
    daryl

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by DBCoup View Post
    Some years ago I purchased a copy of a birth certificate, and now I am re-investigating ...
    Birth Certificate in Registration District of Newcastle Upon Tyne
    1839 Birth in the Sub-district od Saint Nicholas in the County of Newcastle Upon Tyne
    No. :- 192;
    When and where born :- Fourth March 1839 Orchard Street, Parish of St John;
    Name, if any :- John;
    Sex :- Boy;
    Name and surname of Father:- [blank];
    Name, surname and maiden surname of mother :- Ann Robinson;
    Occupation of Father :- [blank];
    Signature, description and residence of informant :- Hannah Pickering, Present at the Birth, Oxford St;
    When registered :- Eighth of March 1839;
    Signature of registrar:- William Findley

I cannot find Ann, or George in the 1840 census.
    Ann might have married before the census but I cannot identify any likely candidates.

Any assistance/advice would be welcomed whole-heartedly.
    thanks
    daryl
    Do we assume that George is a typo and the name should be John?
    And you won't find anyone in the 1840 census in the UK, because the census year is 1841.

Did John survive? i.e. you've found him on later census such as 1851, 1861, etc.

There's several possible death registrations for John Robinson in Newcastle upon Tyne registration district between March quarter 1838 and June quarter 1841. Depending how much you want to know the answer, you could risk £2.50 for a digital image for a couple of them.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp

Sadly, you still have to pay full price for marriage certificates, but you could check out the
    grooms on the pages where an Ann Robinson marries and see if there's a likely match in the 1841 census. e.g. there's a Zebedee Smith, with an Ann, and an apparent son John, aged two. No birth registration for a John Smith. (Though not all births were registered in the early days.) If you find te family in the 1851 census were any further children born, and if so, what is their mother's maiden name?
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks Pam
    Yes 1841, the joys of researching my American ancestry using census records and then switching to English ..
    and yes John ... trying to see if this John could be my John George. If this John did not survive then that eliminates him from further consideration

Thank you for your excellent suggestions ... it might well be worth "risking" a few £2.50 as after 50 years looking I really want to find him.

Good to have something to investigate.
    cheers
    daryl

Famous for offering help & advice

The NBI has a burial on 13 Mar 1839 of John Robinson aged 8 days. he was buried at Westgate Hill Cemetery, which is less than a mile from Orchard Street

Famous for offering help & advice

I've just had a read through your previous thread, and you've clearly got an uphill struggle on your hands!

Have you considered that he may have arrived in NZ via Australia? For example there is a JG Robinson, English, travelling to Melbourne from Sydney in 1875 aboard the Wentworth. Might he have later travelled to NZ?

A quick search of Trove throws up articles in 1869 about a John George Robinson appearing at the Beechwood Circuit Court charged with stealing from the person, forgery and uttering, Wangaratta.

There are also references to a John alias George Robinson, seaman of the Darra who pleaded guilty of being found without a discharge after its departure - £5 fine or 1 month imprisonment (Jan 1875)

Also you mention that one certificate said Newcastle and others said either England or Yorkshire. I live on the Yorkshire/Durham border but am only about 30 miles from Newcastle, which is often used as a reference point for people to get their bearings as its the nearest big/well known place - he may therefore have used 'Newcastle' in a similar way even back then.

Thanks Jomit1
    All most excellent observations.
    Someone my cousin spoke to many decades ago, and who knew John George Robinson, thought he was from Australia but we dismissed that because of the indications on his children's birth certificates, and, we thought, perhaps there was confusion between Newcastle, Australia and the English Newcastle.
    What was appealing about the birth certificate of John, son of Ann Robinson, aside from the birth date (4th March, a grand-aunt thought it was 5th March) was that the illegitimacy offered an explanation why nothing was known of John George Robinson's past - absolutely nothing.
    Your suggestion of these Robinson's in Australia, with their criminal convictions, also offer an explanation of the lack of information on John George Robinson's past.

And your point about "Newcastle" being a proxy for "Newcastle, or nearby" is well made. In my Irish research there was a record indicating that my ancestor was from Tullamore, King's Co., whereas further research identified they were from a small place across the border in Queen's Co., Tullamore being the nearest big city.
    Thanks again for all you suggestions - now entering the 6th decade of trying to solve this one, not counting the decades my cousin spent on it prior to us combining our efforts

daryl