Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Radford family nottingham

Hi I was wondering if someone can help, I've been doing a family tree on find my past for a couple of years and I'm hoping I've not been tracing a different family.
    My great grandfather was Herbert Radford born in Nottingham in 1889 and died in 1958, married eliza balchin which is correct, also the 1939 register says he lived on Clarence street which is also correct.
    What I do know is he died in 1958, married eliza balchin and lived on Clarence street. The register is saying he was born in 1888 but all the census are saying he was born in 1889. I'm hoping it's the same Herbert radford and not 2 different ones. Any help would be appreciated

Brick wall demolition expert!

The 1939 Register could well have errors in it, because it relies on one person writing everything down correctly, and in the case of Herbert Radford, the glaring error is that his surname was written down as BRADFORD.

He has a date of birth on the 1939 register as 31 Jan 1889, and that is what the original says and not the transcription summary on FMP, which is wrong. It is always important to look at the original document.

You can report that error to FMP and they will correct it.

Super Moderator

The registration on FreeBMD is in Mar Qtr. 1889. So he was born in January 1889. You probably need to get his birth certificate to confirm. Do you have the marriage certificate as I cannot find a marriage between Herbert and Eliza Balchin. What was the date of marriage?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    The registration on FreeBMD is in Mar Qtr. 1889. So he was born in January 1889. You probably need to get his birth certificate to confirm. Do you have the marriage certificate as I cannot find a marriage between Herbert and Eliza Balchin. What was the date of marriage?
    Possibility.
    Marriage September quarter 1911, Eliza A Balchin to Edward Smith.
    Marriage June quarter 1939 Eliza A Smith to Herbert Radford.
    Both in Nottingham registration district.

Birth registration of an Eliza Ann Balchin in Nottingham registration district in 1894, which would agree with the birth date in the 1939 Register.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    The 1939 Register could well have errors in it, because it relies on one person writing everything down correctly, and in the case of Herbert Radford, the glaring error is that his surname was written down as BRADFORD.
    Interestingly this RADFORD thread caught my eye, as I have BRADFORD Ancestry in Nottinghamshire. Both RADFORD and BRADFORD are fairly frequently found surnames in the area (and thus mixed up), and Radford is also a Parish within the city boundary to add to the confusion....