Settling in

Default Informations about Charles Joseph Tribaudin0

Charles Joseph Tribaudino was a silk dyer from Piedmont who spent several years in London before moving to tsarist Russia around 1829/30.
    There he played a major role in the development of the silk industry. Notably, he developed silkworm culture as well as the culture of tinctural plants. He also introduced modern techniques to extract the silk fibres from the coccoons, as well as for spinning and dyeing the silk. These techniques, which he taught towards the end of his life at the Saint Petersburg Institute of Technology, helped the russian silk industry to become independent of foreign imports of primary materials.

What I've learned so far about his years in London:
    • In 1823, a common enterprise with Peter Godefroy, the son of a huguenot immigrant from Normandy, was dissolved and Tribaudino went bankrupt. The address was No. 7, Cleveland Street, Mile-End (London Gazette, Issues 17922 & 17935).
    • In 1829, Tribaudino had another common enterprise at the same address with a partner by the name of Sodo (possibly also a french huguenot). The premises and the equipment, which were apparently top-rate for the purpose of silk dyeing, were advertised for sale by auction. This sale was most likely motivated by Tribaudino's wish to emigrate to Russia (Public Ledger and Daily Advertiser, Issue 1829-09-04, Morning Advertiser, Issue 1829-09-30, Morning Herald, Issue 1829-10-05).

What I don't know and would like to learn:
    Tribaudino's exact origins are unknown. Perhaps they are mentioned either in insurance documents from 1823 which are stored at the London Metropolitan Archives or in documents about the 1823 bankruptcy which might be stored at the National Archives. However, I am not able to go there and find, study and copy these documents.
    Most likely, Tribaudino was born between 1790 and 1805 in Racconigi, a town in Piedmont, located between Torino and Cuneo. This hypothesis is based on the following informations:
    • The surname Tribaudino is most common in Piedmont
    • In Russia, Tribaudino was said to be Sarde, French or Swiss. Piedmont belonged to the reign of Sardinia until 1896, when it was conquered by Napoleon and became french.
    • As Tribaudino's name in Russia was Karl Valentinovitch, his father's first name must have been Valentin(o). I have found a military document from the napoleonian army about a recruit named Michel Bernard Tribaudino, born in Racconigi in 1791, who was also a dyer and whose father had been a Valentin Tribaudino. I am convinced that this was a brother of Charles Joseph Tribaudino.

Settling in

As mentioned, the last (newspaper) sources I could find about CJ Tribaudino in London were from sept/oct 1829, describing a sale by auction of his professional equipment and premises. However, the first mentions of his presence in Russia date from 1823. Thus, he seems to have operated businesses in London and Russia for a number of years.

I am particularly seeking help to identify, inspect and copy insurance documents from 1823 which are stored at the London Metropolitan Archives as well as documents about the bankruptcy in the same year which may be stored at the National Archives.

BTW, I am doing this research for my russian friend and collaborator, the historian Olga Melnichenko. She's preparing a PhD thesis to be submitted to the Sorbonne in Paris. Its topic are the contributions of french entrepreneurs to the russian silk industry during the 19th century. Olga has helped me a lot to clarify my ancestors' history in Russia before and during the revolution. As my ancestors interacted intensely over many years with french industrials (see link to my biographical novel in french, below), our research interests complement each other perfectly.
    https://librairie.bod.fr/bonheur-eph...ays-lointains-
    daniel-schuemperli-9782322460878

Settling in

Hello,

Can anyone help me? I am located in Bern, Switzerland, but would like to find and copy documents on a London bankruptcy case from 1823. I've heard that documents relating to bankruptcy judgements are held at the National Archives, Bessant Dr, Richmond TW9 4DU. However it is a very extensive collection with various catalogue numbers and dozens of volumes!!!

The case I'm interested in was published in The London Gazette, Issue 17935 - 1823-06-28, p. 1066
    It is about Tribaudino Charles Joseph, Cleveland Street, Mile End, silk dyer

I am particularly keen on finding personal informations about the age and origins of Charles Joseph Tribaudino, probably originating from Racconigi in Piedmont (at the time either part of the reign of Sardinia or of France) and born about 1790-1800.

Does anyone out there go to the National Archives anyhow and is willing to donate some of his/her time? In return, I can offer help with transcribing french or german documents or pay for expenses.

Best regards
    Daniel Schümperli

Settling in

PS. THe bankruptcy case was handled by Messrs. Webster and Son,Solicitors, Queen Street, Cheapside.