Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Default Great Grandad Occupation - Labourer For Gas

    Hi all,

    My Great Grandads occupation in 1939 (Age 33) is listed as Labourer For Gas Appliances (Trade 1st Class Boiler Smith). I have tried looking up this occupation as it seems to be quite broad but with not much info. Could this mean he was street lamp lighter ?

    Trade 1st Class Boiler Smith - Is that Boiler as in Gas Boiler or Boiler as in for Steam Trains I Wonder?

    How do I find out also their occupation throughout other years? '39 seems to be the only record I can find which mentions his Occupation.

    Thanks in advance for any and all information .

  2. #2

    Default

    At some point, Fred may have worked at The Cleveland Bridge engineering company in Darlington. Not sure if it is true or in which years he would have worked there - would be nice to solidify that fact though.

    Thanks

  3. #3
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    9,631

    Default

    Hello, and welcome to British-Genealogy.

    If Fred was 33 in 1939 then he should be able to be found in the 1911 and 1921 census, though obviously in 1911 he'll be a bit too young to be working.
    Do we presume that his surname was Jackson?
    What else do you know about him? Do you have a marriage certificate for him? Birth certificate of at least one of his children? Sometimes an employer might be named on a certificate.

    Sadly, for the man in the street, it's almost impossible to find out where someone worked unless it's mentioned somewhere such as the 1921 census which specifically asks where someone is employed, or if it's on a BMD certificate.

    Wouldn't have a clue about what he would actually have done, but I think you can safely assume that he would have been more than a street lamp lighter.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Hello, and welcome to British-Genealogy.

    If Fred was 33 in 1939 then he should be able to be found in the 1911 and 1921 census, though obviously in 1911 he'll be a bit too young to be working.
    Do we presume that his surname was Jackson?
    What else do you know about him? Do you have a marriage certificate for him? Birth certificate of at least one of his children? Sometimes an employer might be named on a certificate.

    Sadly, for the man in the street, it's almost impossible to find out where someone worked unless it's mentioned somewhere such as the 1921 census which specifically asks where someone is employed, or if it's on a BMD certificate.

    Wouldn't have a clue about what he would actually have done, but I think you can safely assume that he would have been more than a street lamp lighter.
    Hi Pam - Thanks for replying.

    Yes he was Fred Jackson, Married to my Nan Irene Windale, they had one son (That I am aware of) Brian. Thanks for the info thus far. I shall keep digging

  5. #5
    Famous for offering help & advice
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cjackson_hull View Post
    At some point, Fred may have worked at The Cleveland Bridge engineering company in Darlington. Not sure if it is true or in which years he would have worked there - would be nice to solidify that fact though.
    Given how close he lived to the Cleveland Bridge works I think its pretty likely he worked there at some point. Starmer Crescent (per 1939 register) is bottom centre, Cleveland Bridge was just above (map is from 1938)

    https://maps.nls.uk/view/101100602#z...6324&layers=BT

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Given how close he lived to the Cleveland Bridge works I think its pretty likely he worked there at some point. Starmer Crescent (per 1939 register) is bottom centre, Cleveland Bridge was just above (map is from 1938)

    https://maps.nls.uk/view/101100602#z...6324&layers=BT
    Yep I think you are correct - thanks!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Select a file: