Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default William Woodall, Mathematics Teacher

Hi everyone.
    I'm hoping anyone more familiar with London than I can help and more specifically the Hackney area.I'm trying to find information about a William Woodall, a Maths Teacher in the 19th century. Where he may have taught etc. He was born in Newark, Nottingham in 1801 but moved to London to teach. he married a Caroline Farrell in Kensington, and between them raised a daughter and five sons. With a father teaching Maths it's no surprise all five became 'Clerks" (Conveyancing, Stock Brokers, Bill Brokers and Wine Merchant) Their eldest also a William went on to become a Solicitor. The four census's between 1841 and 1871 show them living at different addresses around the Islington and then Hackney area. By 1871 age 70 he had retired and he died 1876. That is all I know about him. Any guidance on where I could find more greatly appreciated. Was there a major school in this area (maybe still is?) Hoping local knowledge can help but anything anyone can add to this story would be good. Thanks.

Settling in

I noticed that the censuses between 1861-1871 have William born in 1798. The 1851 census says 1801 as the birth year. Also on Ancestry his baptism was in 30 April 1798, at Newark, St, Mary Magdelene, Notingham. Parents are Robert and Catharine. I guess you've found this already?

Quote Originally Posted by LPennington View Post
    I noticed that the censuses between 1861-1871 have William born in 1798. The 1851 census says 1801 as the birth year. Also on Ancestry his baptism was in 30 April 1798, at Newark, St, Mary Magdelene, Notingham. Parents are Robert and Catharine. I guess you've found this already?
    I have his parents as George and Ann. But like you I did find various birth dates for him, 1798 to 1801. I probably need to re-visit that from what you found. I’d like to find more about his later life and Teaching career really.

As an aside I see your hometown. Last week we returned from a months holiday to your fine country which of course included Wellington, we loved every single day of our visit.

Settling in

Here's a thought for tracking your Woodalls round London - get yourself a large wall map of London and map the areas where they lived. I've used a modern map - not perfect but gives you a overview, and then you could research schools that might have (or still do) existed in the area. I am a visual person so I find maps helpful.

I'm so glad you had a great time in NZ. You picked a perfect time of the year for weather - we often say you can't beat Wellington on a good day.

The map idea sounds right up my street (so to speak!) I like a map.

I've been checking out the locale on old street maps. The 1851 Census reads " ... De Beauvoir Crescent, Warburton's Licensed Madhouse, Whitmore Cottages ..."
    This 1851 map shows De Beauvoir Cr. running into Whitmore Road.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/229949405#z...3082&layers=BT

The entry following William on the Census is difficult to dead - something Wharf. Wondered if this might link to Kingsland Basin on the map.

Have to confess to being sidetracked from posting while checking out Warburton's madhouse!
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Further to previous post the entry after "something wharf" is Kingsland Basin (next page)

Morning Advertiser, 20 Jun 1832
    ADVERT
    "No 8, Whitmore Cottages, Whitmore Road, Hoxton, (Teacher of Brewing without acidity) ..."

Puts the cottages in Whitmore Road but not quite the teacher you are seeking.

On the 1841 Census William is at Strahan Place. The entry following Strahan Place is Motts Lane (1 household). On the map already posted you can see Motts Lane - top left corner.
    Newspaper reports of the period refer to "Strahan Place, Balls Pond".

Newspaper reports of the period refer to "... Gresham Terrace, Pownall Road, ..."

Shoreditch Observer, 20 Oct 1860
    GRESHAM TERRACE-DALSTON
    SIR,- your journal has been most instrumental in mending bad ways both as to nuisances and abuses:- do, sir, favour us with space in your columns to protest to the authorities against the frightful state of Pownall Road, Dalston. The footpath is sheer mire - we of Gresham Terrace having to wade inches deep in mud to reach our dwellings, which is disgraceful where the houses are all inhabited, and each inhabitant bound to contribute his quota to the maintenance of the highways as well as the poor. I trust, sir, that you will kindly second our complaint, whereby the attention of the proper officer will be brought to his duty.
    Yours, &c., LEUMAS
    Gresham Terrace, Oct 16th

Wondered if William suffered this inconvenience? Indeed, might it be William hiding behind the sobriquet LEUMAS?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast