Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Settling in

Default Workhouse burials

Hello Folks,

I had an ancestor who died a pauper in the Lambeth Workhouse in 1844, but instead of being put in a pauper's grave he was buried at St. Peter, Walworth, Southwark, London. Does this mean his body was claimed by relatives? Was this unusual? Makes you wonder by the Workhouse didn't pursue family to take care of him in the first place?

Regards,
    Lana

Famous for offering help & advice

Do the records show that your relative was a pauper?

Dying in the workhouse does not necessarily mean that the person was destitute. It was also where the medical facilities were. No NHS in those days!

My gt gt granma died (1905) in the workhouse. She was widowed, old & infirm, admitted by the RO (Relieving Officer of the Workhouse), and died 3 months later. She was not a pauper, but was alone - her only child (my gt grandad) lived far away (and I get the impression that his wife did not care much for her mother-in-law). She was buried with her late husband in the Churchyard.

Jane

Agreed. One of my multi-greats died in the Dundee Poorhouse in 1861. He was a shoemaker living at home until his wife died, within days of her funeral in 1859 he'd been shipped to the Poorhouse in Dundee by the Kirriemuir Parish Council as there was "nobody available to care for him" - a common problem of shoemakers was rheumatism-crippled hands. There's a note that he'd be brought back to Kirri if "Better care came available".

Settling in

Thank for your replies. On his death certificate it says he was a pauper, and died of senility at 75 yrs in 1844. I suspect he was estranged from the children from his second marriage due to the nasty separation from his second wife. Plus he was living with another woman and had had three children to her. By the time he was in the workhouse, the woman he cohabited with was dead and so were two of the children, the other was only 14 and was working as a domestic servant (having been placed by the workhouse. The only son from his second marriage was a wealthy feather merchant. I wonder if he claimed the body?

Quote Originally Posted by LPennington View Post
    Hello Folks,

I had an ancestor who died a pauper in the Lambeth Workhouse in 1844, but instead of being put in a pauper's grave he was buried at St. Peter, Walworth, Southwark, London. Does this mean his body was claimed by relatives? Was this unusual? Makes you wonder by the Workhouse didn't pursue family to take care of him in the first place?
    I assume that this is about Heneage again?

Its entirely possible that Board of Guardians at Lambeth did require the family to pay for his upkeep in the workhouse.

This may have been agreed from the outset, but there are also countless newspaper articles where someone has become 'chargeable to the parish' and their relatives - usually a husband, father or adult child/children - have been summonsed to court and made to contribute.

If you're very lucky there may be something in the accounts or minute books, assuming they've survived.

Settling in

Thank you, Jomot1. Yes, I am obsessed with my Gt x 6 grandfather (Heneage). I did try looking for minutes/accounts for the Lambeth Workhouse but there isn't anything I can find relating to him. Lots of stuff is after 1844. It was interesting to speculate if the family did have to pay for his upkeep (despite the estrangement). Heneage was in the workhouse for 7 years before he died.

Quote Originally Posted by LPennington View Post
    Thank you, Jomot1. Yes, I am obsessed with my Gt x 6 grandfather (Heneage). I did try looking for minutes/accounts for the Lambeth Workhouse but there isn't anything I can find relating to him. Lots of stuff is after 1844. It was interesting to speculate if the family did have to pay for his upkeep (despite the estrangement). Heneage was in the workhouse for 7 years before he died.
    You could well be right about that, but I can't see him in the census there in 1841, can you?

The census ref (per TNA archived street indexes) is HO107, Piece 1058, Book 1, Folio 1-20, or you can search on Ancestry by selecting the 1841 England Census and then the following:
    County: Surrey
    Civil Parish: Lambeth
    Sub Registration District: Lambeth Church Second
    Enumeration District: Lambeth Workhouse

NB Men start at image 10

I was also intrigued by the address on his burial record, which was East Street, Walworth / Newington. Does that address feature in any other records?

Could this be a possible for 1841 census.

There is a **Henry Pennington 70 at 1 Newington Crescent.Islington.

HO107
    Piece number 664
    Book number 16
    Folio number 43
    Page number 5
    Schedule 4138

Thanks Pamela, I thought I'd added the same info to the previous thread but maybe not! Occupation Ind[ependent], but says not born in County.

I tend to think that it is him and that the OP has perhaps made too many assumptions. Its so difficult when key documents no longer exist.

The census I was looking at isn’t the workhouse or is it? Could it be rooms?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast