Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Thomas Woodhall Griffiths of West Bromwich

Hello again, and happy new year.
    I thought I had found all I could of my Griffiths family, but while talking to a cousin about our grandfather, Thomas Woodhall Griffiths, born in 1873, we realized we didn't know much about him. His Woodhall family (mother Mary) were in the pub business, but what did he do? Where did he live in 1921? We think my grandmother's two eldest daughters, Amy and Ida, registered as Vowles, were Thomas' although there is no proof we can find. Thomas married my grandmother, Laura, in 1923 and had 5 more children. It has been mentioned that Thomas was a friend of Laura's father Job. Job and Thomas were the same age so it's probable.
    Can someone help me place Thomas in 1911 & 1921?
    Thank you
    Shay

Hi Shay
    I did start looking at this yesterday but then Brit-Gen went down for 24 hours due a technical fault so I couldn't post anything. In fact I had completely forgotten the subject matter and your post wasn't showing in Today's Posts and What's new for some reason so I had to go to ancestry.com to look at my search history to find it.
    Now I have replied to it it should show up in the latest posts and others may be able to help.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I see that Thomas' birth registration does not have Woodhall as a middle name
    Thomas GRIFFITHS mother's maiden name WOODHALL
    GRO Reference: 1873 September 1/4 registration district West Bromwich Vol 6B Page 810

His marriage certificate doesn't register his middle name as Woodhall either.
    Marriages Sept 1/4 1923 registration district W. Bromwich
    Griffiths Thomas Vowles W.Bromwich 6b 1778
    Vowles Laura Griffiths W. Bromwich 6b 1778

So searching with the middle name Woodhall has not produced any results as yet. Do you have any official paperwork where he is recorded as Thomas Woodhall Griffiths?
    Christina

Added I see that his death registration records him as Thomas W Griffiths age 61 reg dist W. Bromwich June 1/4 1936
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator

Ida May Vowles birth was registered in 1905 West Bromwich. Amy 1919. Are these the registrations you found for the two girls?

Just found an Ida Griffiths, reg. 1924, West Bromwich, MMN Vowles. No Amy though.

Super Moderator

I think we can forget Ida born in 1905. Her father was Dennis Vowles, mother Emma

Trying to find Laura Vowles on the census. The only one I can find with a father called Job (who worked in an iron foundry) is on the 1911 and 1901 in West Bromwich. Laura was born in 1899 (W. Brom. June Qtr)

Have you found Thomas on any census returns prior to 1911?

Famous for offering help & advice

Laura may have remarried in 1938 to Henry Hassell

1939 register

24 All Saints St
    West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England

There are Henry Hassell
    Laura Hassell

And 10 others mostly redacted but there is a Nellie Vowels ( transcribed as Dowels)
    4th March 1921.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    I see that Thomas' birth registration does not have Woodhall as a middle name
    Thomas GRIFFITHS mother's maiden name WOODHALL
    GRO Reference: 1873 September 1/4 registration district West Bromwich Vol 6B Page 810

His marriage certificate doesn't register his middle name as Woodhall either.
    Marriages Sept 1/4 1923 registration district W. Bromwich
    Griffiths Thomas Vowles W.Bromwich 6b 1778
    Vowles Laura Griffiths W. Bromwich 6b 1778

So searching with the middle name Woodhall has not produced any results as yet. Do you have any official paperwork where he is recorded as Thomas Woodhall Griffiths?
    Christina

Added I see that his death registration records him as Thomas W Griffiths age 61 reg dist W. Bromwich June 1/4 1936
    hello Christanel. I may have made a mistake somewhere. I have his birth certificate and it says only Thomas, but his death certificates say Thomas Woodhall. I know his brother was Paul Woodhall Griffiths.

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    Ida May Vowles birth was registered in 1905 West Bromwich. Amy 1919. Are these the registrations you found for the two girls?

Just found an Ida Griffiths, reg. 1924, West Bromwich, MMN Vowles. No Amy though.
    Opps, made a mistake, it was Nell (born 1921) and Amy (born 1919) I was thinking of. Ida was born in wedlock as a Griffiths.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    Laura may have remarried in 1938 to Henry Hassell

1939 register

24 All Saints St
    West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England

There are Henry Hassell
    Laura Hassell

And 10 others mostly redacted but there is a Nellie Vowels ( transcribed as Dowels)
    4th March 1921.
    That is correct. I'm trying to find out if Thomas is the father of Amy (1919) and Nell (1921). Was Thomas married before or just a naughty boy Thomas and Laura married 1923, Thomas was then 50.

Famous for offering help & advice

Do you have the marraige cert for Thomas & Laura?

What was his occupation?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast