Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Thumbs down Elusive great great grandmother

The earliest record I have of Mary Ann HAYNES is the Parish Register of her marriage to James WYATT in Richards Castle, Shropshire on 7th May 1861, her father is listed as John HAYNES, Richard's residence was Kirkham, Lancs and Mary's Richards Castle, witnesses Thomas Evans marked & Eliza Haynes signed.
    I have all the subsequent census records, in which her POB is given consistantly as Aston on Clun, Shropshire, but nothing earlier.
    I did think I had found her birth as Mary HAYNES in Dec 1837 Clun RD vol 18 page 43 but it eventually proved to be wrong. DOB 14 Oct 1837, bap. 5 Nov 1837 in Edgton, Shropshire, parents were Benjamin HAYNES & Elizabeth NICHOLAS. Benjamin was buried in Hopesay Parish on 19 Sep 1850, I found Elizabeth and several children in 1851 at Turf Cottage, Hopesay Hill. (HO107/1983/416/12) In 1871 Mary was a 34 year old unmarried Housekeeper for Richard BOWEN a farmer in Bishops Castle (RG10/2731/?/16) conclusively proving she is NOT mine.

Any and all help in tracing her gratefully received.
    She is the only one of my GGg'mas that I have no early records for prior to her marriage.

Malcolm.

Famous for offering help & advice

More information, please:

What is Mary's age in the later censuses and at her marriage?

What is her father's occupation given as in the marriage register?

Ideally, please could you give us references for the later censuses, to save us spending time tracking them down. (There might be the odd clue in them.)

I'm thinking that for starters she ought to show up somewhere in the 1861 census, as that was only a month before her marriage, though I'm also aware that the 1861 probably has more missing bits than others. After a very quick look I've found a Haynes family in Richard's Castle with father John and a daughter Mary (RG9/1836 fo115 p19) - do they seem possible?

Another possible line of attack might be the marriage witness Eliza Haynes. I don't know how common the surname is round there, but she might be a relation.

Lastly - where you say "Richard's residence was Kirkham, Lancs" did you mean James?

Brick wall demolition expert!

As the 1861 Census was taken 7 April 1861, Mary Ann must have been recorded as unmarried. Having done some searching I think that this might be your lady:

The Moor, Richards Castle, Ludlow, Shropshire: Mary HAYMES daughter of John (a shepherd) and Maria born 1838 in Stokesay, Shropshire. (Piece 1836 Folio 115 Page 19.) This was from the transcription at FMP and having looked at the original record I think that it is a mis transcription and that their name was HAYNES.

A fountain of knowledge

Thank you both for the census info, I'll check it out when I can get to the library. I no longer have subscriptions to A nor FMP.
    If it has been mistranscribed no wonder I couldn't find it.

If she was born in Stokesay she may be the Mary Ann HAYNES registered in Ludlow RD XVIII 68.

Yes I did mean James. Sorry. I am always mixing him with his son-in-law Richard Tyler who married Mary Ann Wyatt, James' daughter.

James listed as Labourer, Mary 'of full age', so no help there.

Census 1871-1921 Bromfield except where stated. Mary's age added in each census. She was considerably younger than James.
    RG10/3040/73/6 Lindridge, Worcs. 33y
    RG11/2614/26/4 41y
    RG12/2080/26/3 50y
    RG13/2503/24/3 East Hamlet, Ludlow. 62y
    RG14/15868 RG78PN972 RD342 SD2 ED1 SN19 75y
    RG15/12386 RD342 SD2 ED1 SN14 85y

A fountain of knowledge

Default CORRECTION

Quote Originally Posted by macwil View Post

James listed as Labourer, Mary 'of full age', so no help there.
    CORRECTION! Read John listed...etc. Not James.

It just isn't my day today.

Quote Originally Posted by macwil View Post
    If she was born in Stokesay she may be the Mary Ann HAYNES registered in Ludlow RD XVIII 68.
    Mother's maiden name for that one given as BACH by the GRO. Most of the others in the census entry we found have mmn BUTCHER - but as it's slightly similar I wouldn't rule it out as being the same. (There were a couple that I didn't find easily.)

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    As the 1861 Census was taken 7 April 1861, Mary Ann must have been recorded as unmarried. Having done some searching I think that this might be your lady:

The Moor, Richards Castle, Ludlow, Shropshire: Mary HAYMES daughter of John (a shepherd) and Maria born 1838 in Stokesay, Shropshire. (Piece 1836 Folio 115 Page 19.) This was from the transcription at FMP and having looked at the original record I think that it is a mis transcription and that their name was HAYNES.
    John , Maria and family are in Aldon, Stokesay in 1841 recorded as Hains. There is a younger sister Eliza.

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    John , Maria and family are in Aldon, Stokesay in 1841 recorded as Hains. There is a younger sister Eliza.
    There is a banns record in Hopesay in 1835 of John Haynes and Maria James. Only called once.

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    There is a banns record in Hopesay in 1835 of John Haynes and Maria James. Only called once.
    That's not looking too good for the mmn's of the children in the 1861 census, unless she'd been married before. More research needed there, but I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to do any more today.

If I have the correct family they are in Woofferton Shropshire in 1851, this times as Haines. Mary born "Stoks say"

Children in 1851 are Mary, Eliza, Jane, John, Richard, Caroline,Emma, Margaret. Younger children born Woofferton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast