Loves to help with queries

Default A Private in the 3rd Dragoon Guards in 1800s

My great great Irish Grandfather was a Private in the 3rd Dragoon Guards from 1827 to 1853. His Army Records refer to the Stables and Riding Drill and 'exercising his Master's Horses, he being an Officer's Servant"

My query is would he have actually ridden with the Company and would he have worn the distinctive red jacket and the plume on his helmet or was there a different uniform for 'Privates'?

Also, in 1831 the 3rd Dragoon Guards were called in to assist in the Bristol Riots and I am wondering if he would have been involved in that?

Brick wall demolition expert!

The following is a link to images of uniforms:

https://
    i.pinimg.com/originals/8d/39/eb/8d39ebbf8d24703a9507287cc135619c.jpg

It clearly shows that privates wore riding dress - i.e. boots and spurs.

People can correct me, but I think that if you look at modern images of the Household Calvary that privates ride horses along side non commissioned officers and officers.

Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    The following is a link to images of uniforms:

https://
    i.pinimg.com/originals/8d/39/eb/8d39ebbf8d24703a9507287cc135619c.jpg

It clearly shows that privates wore riding dress - i.e. boots and spurs.

People can correct me, but I think that if you look at modern images of the Household Calvary that privates ride horses along side non commissioned officers and officers.
    Many thanks Megan. It certainly looks as though my ancestor would have ridden alongside his officers. I guess I have had difficulty in imagining this Labourer from what was probably a poor Roman Catholic family actually wearing the 'flash' uniform of the Guards. I just thought of him in the stables, looking after the horses and not wearing a uniform.