annieB

Question Thomas Aitchison Graham

I am a total novice and would appreciate any guidance. Could anyone advise me how I can go about tracing any information about the above person.

He was my grandfather, but gave up all contact with the family when my mother was a baby. He must have been born in, or around the 1880's, in the East Lothian region. I know he worked for time at The Institute of Great Britain, Thanet House, London, but that's where my knowlegde starts and ends. My mother is now 81 and would love to know a little more about the father she never knew.

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by annieB
    I am a total novice and would appreciate any guidance. Could anyone advise me how I can go about tracing any information about the above person.

He was my grandfather, but gave up all contact with the family when my mother was a baby. He must have been born in, or around the 1880's, in the East Lothian region. I know he worked for time at The Institute of Great Britain, Thanet House, London, but that's where my knowlegde starts and ends. My mother is now 81 and would love to know a little more about the father she never knew.
    There are members of this forum who can give you much better advice than I can and, hopefully, they will respond to your request for help. About all I can tell you is that, unfortunately, it's more difficult to trace ancestors after the turn of the last century. Census information after 1901 hasn't been released to the public -- yet.

Do you know your grandmother's maiden name or approximately when she married your grandfather?

If your grandfather was born in the 1880s, he may possibly have been living in London by the time of the 1901 census. If so, there is one possible match, a Thomas GRAHAM listed born in 1882. He's living at 47 St Dunstans Rd in Fulham with parents John and Barbara, 45 and 43, respectively, sister Mary, 12, and general domestic servant, Jessie McKinlock, 25. Father John is listed as "Living on own means" and Thomas's occupation is given as "Colonial Merchant's Clerk". All occupants were born in Scotland but no more specific details are given. [Reference: RG13/56 Folio 78 Page 14]

Trish

Sadly (for you) Grahams aren't especially rare in Scotland, so you'll need a bit more info to pin him down. What you need first is your mother's birth certificate - if she was born in Scotland it will give the names and ages of both parents, his occupation plus the date and place they were married. Then you can get their marriage cert which will give you the names of the parents.
    There is still a Royal Institution of Great Britian

annieB

Default Trish and Lesley

Thank you both for your advice.
    I really am at a loss. I have no information at all. No date of birth, marriage ...nothing. All I have is a name. I had thought that the middle name may have been unusual, but I have since been told that it is quite common.

It seems that he will have to remain a man of mystery.
    Thanks again.

joette

Smile

Dont give up.try searching for his birth online at Scotlands people. Give what you have - the name & the dates 1879-1890 & see what you come up with.
    You could try the 1881& 1891 censuses on the same site but try the Birth first.
    Was your Mother born SCotland? if she was then on the Birth it should give parents marriage date ,place.
    By coincedence I have Graham in my line and know how common a name it is.
    I also have Aitchison on another line.
    I have had a look on SP for you & cant find a Thomas Aitchison for those dates there are eight pages of Thomas Graham & maybe the Aitchison was a Baptisimal addition.
    Persevere between my Mum & I we spent thirty years searching for her Grannys Birth bingo within two days of posting on Talkingscot I had her Birth Entry in my hand so it could happen.Keep going.

annieB

Default Joette

Thank you so much for the advice. I hadn't heard of 'Scotlands People' or 'TalkingScot'.

My Mum wasn't born in Scotland. The marriage certificate is something of a mystery; can't honestly confirm the details, or whether it turned out to be legal. I think this man had more than one family - nice! My Grandmother wouldn't have his name mentioned.

I am pleased that your your 30 year search proved to be successful. I'll keep at it.....

Thanks again.

joette

Are we talking bigamy here or divorce or living in sin? A lot of times I have discovered that where it is painful for them to talk about "it " whatever the "it" is nine times out of ten they are the most responsible for the situation or have been in the same/similiar.
    For example my Great-grandmother played "merry h---" when one of her daughters fell in love with a Highland catholic.It was the "Heiland" part I think she objected to mostly as she used to state "if she thought she had an ounce of heiland blood in her veins she would cut it out with a knife"Guess where her Fathers Mother came from & she must have known that.
    She also made my Gran's life a misery for seducing her innocent youngest son & them having to marry in haste- this despite the fact that they had been engaged for three years & it was bereavemnet & the Depression which had caused the delay.Guess who got married in July & had their first child in Nov. the same year? I dont know whether it was the fact that she was illegitimate or the fact of the hasty wedding that their son my Great-Uncle forbade my Mother & Aunt to search into the family History.
    I wonder as times have changed would he care about either fact now & wish he was still around so I could ask.My G-Granny went to great lengths to cover up both her illegitamcy & her hasty marriage & I wish my granny was around so I could tell her too.At least my Mum & I laughed about it but these things were often very painful,shameful things.
    I am not an advocate of Premarital Sex but I am glad that the children no longer have to feel ashamed of their origins.
    At one time you were barred from certain profession if you were "base born" & I have even heard of someone refused a Church wedding because of it.