Default JEWISH PATIENTS -LONDON BETHLEM HOSPITAL

This thread is the start of a series of posts relating to Jewish Patients admitted to the London, Bethlem Hospital.
    This data base entitled London,Bethlem Hospital Patient Admission Registers and Case books 1683-1932 contains a range of records on individuals admitted to the hospital.
    The data is important because in later records circa 1840s and later patient casebooks contain a wide range of data including the name, age, address of the patient, when admitted, religious persuasion, marriage status and number of children, whether other family members had mental health issues, occupation, dates when the issues first arose,admission,discharge dates, details of the nature of the mental health issues, medical health and other data.

I have already begun to post data on my own lines but will post data on other individuals as a help to other researchers. At least one of the records gives information that the patient changed their religion to Protestant and married a Christian. This information might prove useful to those researchers who maybe looking in the wrong records or maybe unaware of the family background.

If the moderators read this post they may wish to treat it as a 'sticky'. On completion of my own line I will begin to post the names of the individuals and their background as a help to other researchers.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

As a follow up to my original post I am preparing a data base for Cemetery Scribes which will include the names of Jewish individuals admitted to Bethlem Hospital for the period 1840s-1920s.The reason for this choice of dates is to include where possible additional data including census records and other relevant information on an individual and their family. The patient records from the 1840s include a section on 'Religious persuasion' which for Jews includes the terms Hebrew,Israelite,Jewess, Jew. Earlier records do not record this reference except in rare circumstances.
    The Bethlem Hospital records are contained in 329 volumes dating from 1559. There are several thousand patient records with the early ones providing cursory data. The later records contain more details.

Completion of this data base will take some time and it is likely that batches of data will be submitted and included on Cemetery Scribes over time. This data base is intended to provide researchers who have Anglo Jewish ancestors with additional information on their lines.

Currently I have completed approximately 100 data records on Jewish patients admitted to Bethlem from the 1830s to the early 1900s. In the records from 1841 I have included where possible census data on individuals which includes reference to their families. In addition, other data from JewishGen 1851 Anglo Jewry Data base has been included which provides reference to sources such as marriages,addresses and other information.

The Bethlem Patient records from 1850 also record the names, occupations and addresses of individuals who have provided securities or surities for individuals. Reference to family members is also included in some of the records. This information is important because it helps provide a wider source of data on individuals.

Given the number of names included in the Bethlem patient records my research is ongoing and I will submit my first set of records to Cemetery Scribes over the next month and later.

Default JEWISH PATIENTS IN BETHLEM c1840-c1900

In this post and subsequent ones I will list the names of Jewish Patients recorded in the Bethlem Hospital from c 1840-c 1900. This list of names is a precusor to my data base on the patients to be submitted to Cemetery Scribes as part of my ongoing research.

The names are not in alphabetical order in this list but will appear so in the data base. The list does not include my full research data which will appear on the data base. It should be noted that some of the patients were placed in other institutions pre and post their admission to Bethlem. Many of the later patients were voluntary and placed by family members. Several of the patients died in Bethlem or another institute.

List of patient names in random order:
    Aaron Jacob Zachariah admitted 1888
    Alfred de Woolfson admitted 1899
    Emanuel Myers admitted 1872
    Nb an early patient Elida Marks admitted 1799
    Jane Katherine Van Praagh admitted 1879
    Miriam Greenberg admitted 1913
    Flora Woolf admitted 1868
    David Symons admitted 1887
    Jules Van Den Berg admitted 1896
    Philip Levy b 1812 admitted 1845 ***** He married a Christian Mary Ann Taylor and became a Baptist
    Sampson Abrahams admitted 1847
    Eva Abrahams admitted 1918
    Blanche Abrahams admitted 1891
    Arthur Edward Samuel admitted 1902
    Rachel Levy admitted 1839
    Fanny Levy admitted 1888
    James Joseph admitted 1897
    Bessie Cohen admitted 1893
    Miriam Levy admitted 1902
    Barnet Levy admitted 1854
    Simon Jacobs admitted 1853
    Julia Levi admitted 1868
    Esther Levy admitted 1886
    Esther Levy admitted 1835
    Elizabeth Levy admitted 1834
    Hannah Abrahams admitted 1852
    Joseph Moss admitted 1851
    Eva Abrahams admitted 1918
    Blanche Abrahams admitted 1890
    Leah Lazarus admitted 1833 age 15 born 1818 *** an early record
    Eliza Lazarus admitted 1868
    Hannah Levy admitted 1861
    Hannah Levy admitted 1873
    Isabella De Saxe admitted 1856
    Rachel Catron Brunette Levy admitted 1853 -born France
    Clara Moses admitted 1846
    Isaac Moses admitted 1837
    Catherine Nathan admitted 1855
    Charles Nathan admitted 1882
    Aaron Hart admitted 1853
    Joseph Myers admitted 1840
    Nellie Myers admitted 1883 born California USA
    Rose Samuel admitted 1850
    Joseph Hart admitted 1886
    Hannah Myers admitted 1831 -an early record
    Henry Braham admitted 1875
    Annie Hart admitted 1907 age 17
    Hannah Solomons admitted 1906
    Edwin Hime Benjamin admitted 1901
    Sarah Jacobs admitted 1855 age 19
    Rebecca Lazarus admitted 1836
    Abraham Cohen admitted 1911
    Alexander Cohen admitted 1852
    Jacob Phillips admitted 1882
    Martha Woolf admitted 1900
    Alexander Mayer Lion admitted 1877
    Rose Jacobs admitted 1903
    Louis Stern admitted 1868
    Frances Eve Benjamin admitted 1880
    Elizabeth Barnard admitted 1847
    Edward Raphael admitted 1910*** Headmaster Norwood Jews Orphanage
    Joseph Alfred Moseley admitted 1882
    Lionel Barnard admitted 1899
    Sarah Belasco admitted 1872

This is a growing list of names as my research progresses. Several of the patients were discharged 'uncured' and others re-admitted further.
    Wherever possible on the data base I have added a wide range of notes on the individuals including dob, whether single or married, census records, education, synagogue and burial records among other data.

A short update for those researchers who have Jewish ancestors who appear in the Bethlem records and UK asylum records. Numbers of these patients died in the institutions and later records include their death notice and details not all included in the GRO Death Certificates.
    Among the current list I have recorded of Jewish patients the following died in Bethlem or another asylum:
    Frances Eve Garrett nee Benjamin
    Edward Raphael
    Emanuel Senior Coronel
    Arthur aka Abraham Edward Samuel
    Flora Woolf
    Jules Van Den Berg
    Isaac Moses
    Charles Nathan
    Aaron Hart
    Henry Braham
    Elly Isaacs Miller
    Alice Josephine Crawcour
    Sarah Belasco
    Isabella De Saxe
    Edward Hime Benjamin
    Aaron Jacob Zachariah

I have submitted the data on the various individuals to Cemetery Scribes and will post when the data base is posted.