Starting to feel at home

Default Court of Kings Bench &Bankruptcy marked d.c.

I have a newspaper report of Legal proceedings for Dickens v Burnand (coachmaker) on 13 Feb 1807 a Nisi Pruis sitting at Westminster in front of Lord Ellenborough from Morning Chronicle on 14th Feb. Does anyone know if the court documents are available anywhere?

I think there may be 2 coachmakers called Burnand, one on Old Bond Street and one on New Bond Street.

There is a bankruptcy for William Burnand a few months later (possibly as a result of the legal proceedings. One of the reports (Leeds Intelligencer 27 April 1807 p2 col1 - Bankrupts from Tuesday's Gazette) shows d.c. after some of the bankrupts names. Is this short hand for deceased, or something to do with the bankruptcy process does anyone know?

Thanks!

Famous for offering help & advice

It means Dealer and Chapman. Basically a 'catch all' term for someone who buys & sells goods. Under the bankruptcy laws at the time a person needed to be a dealer & chapman in order to be declared bankrupt.

I think I'm right in saying that Bankrupts did not end up in debtors prisons but Insolvent Debtors did.

Added: Notice in the London Gazette - top right
    https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...16022/page/519

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The National Archives research guide to bankrupts and insolvent debtors.
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...lvent-debtors/
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post

I think I'm right in saying that Bankrupts did not end up in debtors prisons but Insolvent Debtors did.
    Agreed - it was an advantage to be described as a chapman.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Charles Viner's 1752 "A general abridgement of law ..."

An Inn-keeper, as such, is not within the Statute of Bankrupts because he does not live by buying and selling, but by uttering his goods without any contract ... But where an innkeeper is aChapman also, and buys and sells, he may on that account be a Bankrupt, though not barely as an innkeeper, and this has been frequently seen.

Goes back to the 1542 Statute of Bankrupts I think.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"