Default Newbie Introduction

Hello to all,

Newbie here - hoping to pick up some good tips and chat with like-minded genealogy-zealots.

I'm 59, and have lived in Germany since 1990, although I was born in England.

I've worked my family tree back (with paper-trails) to 7 generations (bar three people); one line connects further back than that.

Covid has meant that I have hardly any work and a lot of time, so I've spent these last 3.5 years researching almost every day, all the hours I can. Started off with Ancestry, but ended up falling in love with WikiTree, where I got my pre-1500 certification nearly two years ago and since then have spent many happy hours editing and improving online profiles, sleuthing for sources and trying to find clues to break down brick walls.

Recent breakthrough - my great grandmother's family tree has for 347 years had one marriage (Edward + Jane) without a surname for the lady - they were married in 1676.
    Just this week, through transcribing the will of Edward's uncle Francis,(in the National Archives) I've discovered that Jane, the wife of Edward (who was apprenticed to his uncle Francis), was the 15 years' younger sister of Francis' wife, Mary SMITH. Both sisters were daughters of a Richard Smith, Dyer and citizen of Islington. The places connect, the dates connect and the people connect. You all know that incredible feeling when everything falls into place.

I've just found some 17th century Warwickshire Quarter Sessions online as well, which has proved fruitful, and have discovered the hearth tax records for an 8th GGF.

Living in Germany means that I don't get over to the UK as often as I'd like. After we were able to travel again, I started to explore county archives for the first time; a bit nervous at first, but everyone is so helpful, and what you find is amazing. Of course, the further back you go, the more people you have to discover, and the less you know. Still only scratching the surface...

Looking forward to reading in the forum here and learning this site's ropes.

All the best,
    KChamberlayne

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums KChamberlayne

Just reading about what you have been up to in your research efforts tires me out.
    I am even further away from my English birth place so having started this genealogy game later in life I have never had the pleasure of being able to search original archives. Have to be grateful that so many records are online and more available every year.
    You are in the right place to meet like minded people who also take pleasure in helping others break down their brickwalls.
    You'll be making many cups of tea/coffee whilst you work your way through the various forums
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thanks, Christina. I do agree about online records. I'd never have been able to start without them. Thinking of all the amazing folks who have spent years pouring over county archives - and did so before we had the internet - they did all the footwork... and I'm so grateful for those who have made online material available.

BTW, I've discovered cousins in NZ, Australia and Argentina, the US, Germany, as well as the UK - all in the last 3 years. It's been an amazing ride, and I've met some of them too.

Coffee is my friend!
    xx KC