Knowledgeable and helpful

Default What did my aunt do in the WAAF

I have just received the military service record for my aunt who enlisted in the WAAF on 28th December 1942. Her civilian occupation is noted as "Fab/Wrkr. Closed" and that she wanted "to be put in that trade as soon as it opens" dated the day after her enlistment. I know my aunt was a dress machinist in the 1939 Registration.

Aunt's rank was ACW2 which I think means Aircraftwoman 2nd Class - the lowest rank.

Aunt was discharged on 13th August 1944 on "compassionate grounds". Aunt married on 3rd June 1944 (both in civvies rather than uniform) and her husband was wounded (not sure when) and medically discharged so this may have been the compassionate grounds referred to here. But, I would have thought she would have to leave the service when she married?

The record gives no clue as to what she actually did during her service. Any thoughts or help appreciated. Thank you.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

During the war married women usually carried on serving in the military.

See if you can find a report of the wedding in the local paper. When my mum's neighbour married during the war, it said she was a balloon operator in the WAAF, and both she and her husband (a sailor) would be returning to their respective units after the honeymoon.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

I suspect it was a Fabric Worker.

If you Google WAAF Fabric Worker you'll get quite a few hits, including photographs.

My first thought was "Fabric", particularly the sewing/doping of aircraft/balloons.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"