Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Under FMP Search select Newspapers and periodicals.

Pop 8105 (yes 8105 - it's not a typo by yours truly) in Name and hit Search. It should return 49,616 hits.

Click on "date published" filter and select 1900-1949 - returns 11,975 hits

Continue clicking on "Date published" and selecting the appropriate date range to bring you to the single date 14 June 1915.

All being well you should be looking at 4 extracts from the originals. You are interested in the Nos 3 and 4. Note the name in blue in No 3 against 8105. Viewing the actual articles you will find no problem reading name/army number- but the OCR data capture threw a bit of a wobbly. Such are the vagaries of OCR.

You will see 8105 against extract No 1. Out of interest I checked the original and his Army No 1s 8103 and easily read. But again OCR read 8105.

Best of luck with the drilling down to 14th June 1915.
    Good luck
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    I can't even have a go at helachau's age for that typo, because I totally didn't see anything after the 'Johnson 10465 A;'. (I know I do need my eyes tested; haven't been done for about five years because of Covid and mobility problems.)

To confirm, you need the 14 June 1915 edition of The Times. Only available as far as I know through libraries and similar establishments, not through the British Newspaper Archive.
    As I only know your location as 'Merseyside' I did the obvious and searched for Liverpool Library. A result said Liverpool Central Library, so clicked that.
    Clicked on eReading in the blue banner.
    Read all the gumpf, and then at the bottom of page and 'reference sites' read paragraph, then click link to 'Browse reference sites'
    Scroll down a weeny bit, and you'll see a link to The Times Digital Archive.

Need to stress that if you go to the actual library you might access the TDA slightly differently, though the search of the paper will probably be the same.

With my county library I get a page headed 'Gale primary resources - The Times Digital Archive', with a search box and an advanced search option.
    Click advanced.
    In first box enter Johnson
    Scroll down to select 'on' date of 14 June 1915.
    You should get one result.
    Click on 'Deaths', and you will see the whole page.
    It's the first column.
    It could be that all of the men from the Liverpool Regiment got listed under '1st Battalion', regardless of their actual one.
    My local library is Formby, in Merseyside.
    Thank you.

Lin

If you have access to FMP you should be able to access and view these images -
    https://
    search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=BL/0000687/19150614/050&stringtohighlight=8105

Click on the link above and go to column 4 and work down to "UNDER DATE MAY 28, KILLED". Continue working down to "Kings (Liverpool Regt". The names are in alphabetical order - "your" George is at line 8.

I can direct you to the second newspaper report with exactly the same information - which, as already explained, doesn't add to anything you already know.

Starting to feel at home

#23 Thank you helachau... finally got there, withthe help of yourself and other forum members!

George died on 10th May 1915 in France - does anyone 'out there' know how long it would take to inform family at home... the reason I would like to know this is to understand whether his brother William and his cousins enlisted to the army in response to George's death or their joining the military when they did was just coincidence.
    Thank you

Starting to feel at home

I hope someone will be able to help me with a query I have from War diaries of 4th battalion King's Own Regiment, Liverpool, which I understand were based at Seaforth barracks and I note that Crosby is also mentioned in WO 363 records of George.

The war diaries show that the 4th battalion travelled from Edinburgh on 4th March and then onwards to France, arriving on 6th March.
    Does anyone know why the 4th battalion may have been in Edinburgh please?
    Thank you

Check the Fife Free Press & Kirkaldy Guardian, 6 Mar 1915.

Doesn't tell you WHY they were there but gives a clue as to WHERE they were.

I suspect they were training along with others.

The 5th Welsh regiment was in the locale at that time.

The Daily Record, 24 Feb 1915, has a photograph under the headline "LIVERPOOL REGIMENT IN TRAINING IN SCOTLAND".
    It shows signallers of the Kings Liverpool " ... undergoing military training somewhere in Scotland. ..."

The newspaper item I have already directed you to allows you to deduce where the 4th are.

See the Fifeshire Advertiser, 6 Mar 1915

Starting to feel at home

Hi Helachau,
    Thank you for this reference, which I have viewed and saved.
    I refer to Daily Record 24th February 1915 'Liverpool Regiment in Training in Scotland'. Information is helpful - thank you.
    Last edited by Alpineted; 01-07-2023 at 1:13 PM. Reason: Missed information needs to be added.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast