Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Suspecting possible OCR misread I began checking the Times from 10 May but fortunately re-checked thread and saw your note about the Genealogist. So, able to home in on specific edition! Diolch.

Pam, spot on on both accounts re. paucity of info in these lists and where to be found. As it turned out the entry could not be found under name or number ie. OCR misread. So I "read" the 14 May edition of The Times and found -

LANCASHIRE AND YORKSHIRE LOSSES
    UNDER DATE May 28
    Killed
    Liverpool Regt. 1st Bn - ...:Johnson 10465 A;: Johnson 8103 G: Kennedy..."

Couple of items on FMP including CWG.
    I can't even have a go at helachau's age for that typo, because I totally didn't see anything after the 'Johnson 10465 A;'. (I know I do need my eyes tested; haven't been done for about five years because of Covid and mobility problems.)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpineted View Post
    Re #5 Thank you Pam and helachau.
    I have read the CWG reference, thank you. What are the other couple of items you refer to on FMP please.

When you say you "read" the 14th May edition of The Times (did you mean 14th June, as you say losses shown under date May 28th?)... are you able to read the whole newspaper to find details or do I need to state specific criteria? I am sorry if I sound naive, but I am. It is just that I have tried search criteria without any results for George, I can't even seem to find The Times newspaper - any further help is much appreciated.
    I am encouraged with all of the information provided tonight, I just need to find out how to get to The Times for the 14th May or 14th June 1915!
    Thanks again to all forum members for your help.
    To confirm, you need the 14 June 1915 edition of The Times. Only available as far as I know through libraries and similar establishments, not through the British Newspaper Archive.
    As I only know your location as 'Merseyside' I did the obvious and searched for Liverpool Library. A result said Liverpool Central Library, so clicked that.
    Clicked on eReading in the blue banner.
    Read all the gumpf, and then at the bottom of page and 'reference sites' read paragraph, then click link to 'Browse reference sites'
    Scroll down a weeny bit, and you'll see a link to The Times Digital Archive.

Need to stress that if you go to the actual library you might access the TDA slightly differently, though the search of the paper will probably be the same.

With my county library I get a page headed 'Gale primary resources - The Times Digital Archive', with a search box and an advanced search option.
    Click advanced.
    In first box enter Johnson
    Scroll down to select 'on' date of 14 June 1915.
    You should get one result.
    Click on 'Deaths', and you will see the whole page.
    It's the first column.
    It could be that all of the men from the Liverpool Regiment got listed under '1st Battalion', regardless of their actual one.
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 25-05-2023 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Corrected year from 2015 to 1915.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

My great uncle George Johnson was 'killed in action' on 10th May 1915, in France.

He was a Private in the 4th battalion King's Liverpool Regiment and his service number was 8103 (sometimes shown as 3/8103).
    I think the prefix of 3 is an error, as this would indicate the 3rd Battalion. I can see that FmP have used this reference in their transcript, but page 1 of his service record shows it as 4/8103.

Re #5 Thank you Pam and helachau.
    I have read the CWG reference, thank you. What are the other couple of items you refer to on FMP please.

When you say you "read" the 14th May edition of The Times (did you mean 14th June, as you say losses shown under date May 28th?)... are you able to read the whole newspaper to find details or do I need to state specific criteria? I am sorry if I sound naive, but I am. It is just that I have tried search criteria without any results for George, I can't even seem to find The Times newspaper - any further help is much appreciated.
    I am encouraged with all of the information provided tonight, I just need to find out how to get to The Times for the 14th May or 14th June 1915!
    Thanks again to all forum members for your help.
    The Times date should, of course, read "14 June" - apologies. George is on page 11. If you are able to access the The Times (not available via FindMyPast or British Newspaper Archive.) you will not find "your" George using the standard search facility. George's entry has been OCR misread (I won't go into detail). You will need to call up the 14th June edition and read page 11.
    I had suspected George entry wasn't available under the standard search facility after several attempts and had resorted to reading the Times from 10 May - a very slow process. Fortunately, I revisited this thread after checking just 2 editions and spotted Pam's Genealogist find - a life saver.
    As explained, the entry tells you nothing you don't already know and best of luck with finding The Times online.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

If you cannot access the Times I can direct you to George's newspaper entry on FindMyPast. It ain't such a grand publication as "The Thunderer" but it says exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    If you cannot access the Times I can direct you to George's newspaper entry on FindMyPast. It ain't such a grand publication as "The Thunderer" but it says exactly the same.
    Don't forget that people only have access to newspapers on FMP if they have a Pro or Premium sub. Papers are not included in the basic 'Plus' sub.

From the opening post I assumed his check of FMP included newspapers - they are mentioned.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    I can't even have a go at helachau's age for that typo, because I totally didn't see anything after the 'Johnson 10465 A;'. (I know I do need my eyes tested; haven't been done for about five years because of Covid and mobility problems.)

To confirm, you need the 14 June 1915 edition of The Times. Only available as far as I know through libraries and similar establishments, not through the British Newspaper Archive.
    As I only know your location as 'Merseyside' I did the obvious and searched for Liverpool Library. A result said Liverpool Central Library, so clicked that.
    Clicked on eReading in the blue banner.
    Read all the gumpf, and then at the bottom of page and 'reference sites' read paragraph, then click link to 'Browse reference sites'
    Scroll down a weeny bit, and you'll see a link to The Times Digital Archive.

Need to stress that if you go to the actual library you might access the TDA slightly differently, though the search of the paper will probably be the same.

With my county library I get a page headed 'Gale primary resources - The Times Digital Archive', with a search box and an advanced search option.
    Click advanced.
    In first box enter Johnson
    Scroll down to select 'on' date of 14 June 1915.
    You should get one result.
    Click on 'Deaths', and you will see the whole page.
    It's the first column.
    It could be that all of the men from the Liverpool Regiment got listed under '1st Battalion', regardless of their actual one.
    Hi Pam,

I wondered why I could not find the Times in British Newspaper Archives when I visited library on Friday.
    I will visit local library this afternoon and ask if they have access, but may need to visit County library, later in the week. Thank you for this information.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Don't forget that people only have access to newspapers on FMP if they have a Pro or Premium sub. Papers are not included in the basic 'Plus' sub.
    Yes please, if you would direct me to Newspaper (other than the Times), on FMP, that would be great. Thank you.

Hi Pam,

I wondered why I could not find the Times in British Newspaper Archives when I visited library on Friday.
    I will visit local library this afternoon and ask if they have access, but may need to visit County library, later in the week. Thank you for this information.
    It is confusing that The Times, one of the UK's oldest newspapers, isn't part of the British Newspaper Archive, but The Times Digital Archive existed long before the online BNA came into being in 2011.
    Yes please, if you would direct me to Newspaper (other than the Times), on FMP, that would be great. Thank you.
    On the page you see once you've signed in, in the top banner is 'search'. Click, and there's three columns.
    The last one is headed 1921 census, and immediately below it is 'newspapers and periodicals'. Click.
    (I'll admit that I don't like the new search system in newspapers. Though I think if I analyze it logically I will probably conclude that it is a better system than the old one. )

Just remembered that your 'local' (as in any library which has a public-use computer) library may well have access to either FMP and/or the BNA as well as The Times Digital Archive. The staff will know. Not techie-minded (my computer skills end at knowing how to switch the thing one and off!) but you should be able to save any records you find either to a memory stick or else by emailing them to yourself. Again, ask the library staff.

The offer to direct to a paper other than The Times was made in post #14. Need to check my papers

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast