Super Moderator

Default Charles Rose 1901 census

Can anyone find Charles Rose, born Birmingham 28 January 1861 on the 1901 census?

I have him on the 61, 71, 81, 91, 1911.

His married Mary Ann (maiden name, unsure at the moment). His children were Leah Rose (?) born abt 1886, May (?) born abt. 1888 and William born abt. 1890 all in Birmingham. I cannot find any of these birth registrations on Free BMD, but I have been told they may not be the names they were born with.

I have looked under various name spellings but cannot find him. The three children appear on the 1891 census although they are under the name of Rose, Their surname could be Moore!

I shall leave it with you all in the hope you may be able to help.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Sue,

I'm not off to very good start because I can't even find him in 1861.
    Found a possible in 1871 with parents William and Emma.
    Can you let us have the census references, please?
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Upped my game, and found him in 1901. 91 Dymoke Street; in 1911 he was living at number 88.
    Birth 1860, and he's decided to called his wife Pollie, but definitely him.
    Census reference RG12/2856 folio 75 page 32.

Wife Mary might have been Mary Willis when she was born, because there's a birth registration for a May Moore, December quarter 1885, Birmingham registration district mother's maiden name Willis.

Children listed in the 1891 census:
    Leah, 5
    May, 3,
    William, 10 months.
    All listed with surname Rose, and born in Birmingham.
    Should be noted that at the time of the census they were living in Aston registration district.

Children in 1901 census (the one where mum Mary, is listed as Pollie)
    Frederick, 8,
    Walter, 7,
    Joseph, 3,
    Pollie, 21,
    Eliza, 19,
    Sarah Ann, 18,
    Hannah, 16
    May, 15
    All son or daughter, with surname Rose, and born in Birmingham.
    Living in Aston registration district.
    Also living with them is Richard Rose, 43, widower, brother to Charles.
    May and Richard are on the next page to Charles and the rest of the family.

Children in 1911 census
    Frederick Rose, 17, son
    Walter Rose, 16, son,
    Mary Moore, 31, stepdaughter
    May Moore, 25, stepdaughter
    All born Birmingham.
    Living in Aston registration district at time of the census.
    Details of 'children from this marriage' say 13 children, 8 still living, 5 died, though we all know those details can be wrong.
    Married for 25 years.

so from 1891 census:
    Leah,5, born c 1886
    May, 3, born c 1888
    William, if 10 months in April 1891, definitely born 1890.

from 1901 census
    Frederick, born c 1893
    Walter, 7, born c 1894
    Joseph, 3, born c 1898
    Pollie, 21, born c 1880
    Eliza, 19, born c 1882
    Sarah Ann, 18, born c 1883
    Hannah, 16, born c 1885
    May, 15, born c 1886

From 1911 census we know that May was a Moore at birth, and age in 1911 ties in with age in 1901 census, though age in 1891 census is a couple of years out.
    Possible birth registration May Moore, December quarter 1885, BIrmingham registration district, mother's maiden name Willis.

There's a Mary Ann Moore, birth registration June quarter 1880, Aston registration district, mother's maiden name Willis.

Eliza Moore, birth registration September quarter 1881, Birmingham registration district, mother's maiden name Willis.

Sarah Ann Moore, birth registration March quarter 1883, Birmingham registration district, mother's maiden name Willis.

Hannah Moore, birth registration September quarter 1884, Birmingham registration district, mother's maiden name Willis.

Frederick Rose, birth registration September quarter 1893, Aston registration district, mother's maiden name Willis.

Walter Rose, birth registration September quarter 1894, Aston registration district, mother's maiden name Willis.

Joseph Rose, birth registration December quarter 1897, Aston registration district, mother's maiden name Moore. (Seen that mistake, where a mother's previous married name has been given instead of her maiden name, before.)

Do double-check all these, as I've done copy-and-paste so might not have corrected years, districts, or registration districts.

The big conundrum is William, aged 10 months in 1891. Can't find a suitable William Rose, Moore, or Willis. He's unlikely to be the William Charles Rose, birth registered june quarter 1890, Aston registration district, mother's maiden name Mace, because there are other Rose/Mace registrations which 'clash' with Rose/Willis registrations. (e.g. Winifred Polly, March quarter 1893, mmn Mace clashes with the Frederick Rose, birth registration September quarter 1893, mmn Willis.)

As a by-the-by, in my searches I also spotted a Eva May Rose, June quarter 1895, Aston registration district, mother's maiden name Wallis. Haven't done any further checking (e.g. death, finding her in 1901).