Default Valentine and Alice Suczewsky Naturalisation

Hi everyone

I’m looking for Valentine and Alice Suczewsky’s (my great-great grandfather and grandmother) naturalisation records. I have found them in the 1921 census and it says that they are both naturalised…but I cannot find a record.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Steve

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Have you read The National Archive's guide?
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...h-citizenship/

The 1911 census says they are Russian nationals, so the assumption is that they became British citizens some time between 1911 and 1921. Or in 1921 did they perhaps just think they were now British because they had lived here for x number of years?

I did search the index in Ancestry for a first name of Valentine between 1911 and 1921, and the Gazette for the surname Suczewsky, any date, without success.
    Obviously with so many possible mistranscriptions of that surname available you might be searching for a long time.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Steve
    Pam is quite right about the surname derivations and the use of the term 'naturalisation'. You have not said whether or not your ancestors are Jewish. If so, then look on JewishGen data base for the phonetic derivation of Suczewsky and you will see numbers of names with the spelling Zuzowski- these are Polish Jews from the empire of Russia. My own lines have similar significant surname spelling variations and the adoption of British Subject Naturalised was not uncommon usage particularly after a period of time living in the UK plus the cost of applying for a Naturalisation Certificate. I have come across this 'adoption' of the phrase in numbers of individuals who I have researched over many years.
    In addition, within the same family the surname spelling can vary significantly and the use of first names is also highly variable with Russian/Polish/Hebrew/Yiddish names being used.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

A small follow up to my previous post- Alice is recorded as Suezewsky in the UK Burial and cremation index death Camden burial 31 Dec 1940 and in the GRO Death Index Alice Suczewsky age 70 Dec qtr Hendon 1940 3a 1328 Nb This means she was alive when the 1939 Register was taken. I have taken a quick look but can't see her but another look may locate her. Valentine is recorded in GRO Death Index age 70 March qtr 1931 Stepney 1c 421

Did the family drop the surname and amend it post Valentine and Alice- Frank and Mary were born in London as per 1911 census.

Famous for offering help & advice

Possible! Living with Arthur & Charlotte Rebecca Groom,plus others.

3 Bigland Place, Shadwell, Tower Hamlets, Stepney

Alice Sucgawsky 08 Sep 1870 Female UDD Widowed

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    Possible! Living with Arthur & Charlotte Rebecca Groom,plus others.

3 Bigland Place, Shadwell, Tower Hamlets, Stepney

Alice Sucgawsky 08 Sep 1870 Female UDD Widowed
    What a brilliant spot, Pamela.
    The surname/shape of the letters is too near the 'usual spelling' for it not to be Alice.
    Lower case c and e can easily be misread and therefore mistranscribed to another record.
    Lower case z used to be written with curve below the line.
    Lower case e and a can again easily be misread and therefore mistranscribed to another record.

Thank you! I can confirm this is Alice. The address matches that on her death record in 1940.

For researchers looking for data on this family see earlier thread Anne Suczewsky Birth Record started 18.2.2023.

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    For researchers looking for data on this family see earlier thread Anne Suczewsky Birth Record started 18.2.2023.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...y-Birth-Record

Looking at the earlier thread Anne Suczewsky Birth Record and #3 wher the maiden name Wisniewska is recorded it looks to me that this family are Polish Russian Jews who settled in the UK unless I am totally wrong. If so, then the various surnames and their derivations appear on JewishGen particularly the Poland data base.
    In addition, there is a UK Burial record at Hoop Lane Jewish Cemetery for Leakadia Wisniewska in 1961 age 57. Other surname derivations including Wisniewski and Wishnefsky appear in the burial records at Enfield and Edmonton Jewish cemeteries.

My strong advice is to look carefully at JewishGen for the surnames and their derivations. Many of the records have parents names and marriages plus other data. You need to think outside of the box when tracing Jewish lines as I know from many years of research. Jewish tombstone inscriptions often have the father's first name which is useful tracing the lines further back.

It is very important to note that Anglicised first names may be changed on the tombstone to reflect Hebrew names. The same applies to Jewish records.