Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default John Halford aka John Alford

Looking for John born Hawick but Family based in Nottingham
    Family based in Radford Area.
    Looking for present day Family.

The ref for the census is RG10 piece 2007 folio 60 page 4 He is on board HMS Achilles in Weymouth Dorset. Available on Find My Past and Ancestry.
    The service record giving the death was also on FMP on Royal Navy Officers 1899-1919, year 1874.
    The death is also on FMP in British Armed Forces and Overseas Deaths and Burials
    Cause of death Thoracic aneurism and pulmonary haemorrhage. Age 38. On board Orestes.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

John died on board Orestes, a passenger ship, not a naval vessel, on 12 August 1886.
    He was 38, occupation Gunner R.N., last place of abode Hong Kong.

All details on FMP in three separate indexes in the British Armed Forces and Overseas Deaths and Burials dataset.

John Alford married Josephine Victoria Crocker 22 September 1874 at All Saints church, Portsea.
    John was a Seaman R.N. on H.M. ship Excellent. His father William Alford, a hosier.
    Josephine's father was John Crocker, a boatswain R.N.
    Image of parish register available on FMP in their Hampshire, Portsmouth Marriages dataset.

If you don't have a sub to FMP, then you may be able to access it at a local library.

There's a Minnie and a George Alford, birth registrations, Sheppey registration district, mother's maiden name Crocker, in 1876 and 1877 respectively. Haven't checked further re finding them in later census , though FMP have a burial of a George Alford, son of John, on 14 May 1878, in the burial ground for Portsea, in their Hampshire, Portsmouth burials. If you look at the record make sure you move the image to the left so you see the next page.
    FreeBMD give George's age as 1.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I'm supposed to be doing my online shopping . . . . .

Josephine Victoria Alford, aged 34, death registration December quarter 1877, Portsea registration district.
    Buried 15 December 1877, burial ground for the parish of Portsea.

Minnie Alford in 1881 is Portsea listed as daughter of Mary Ann Alford.
    Census reference RG11/1143 folio 104 page 10.
    Her half-sister Florence Annie's birth registered June quarter 1879 Radford registration district. Mother's maiden name Hopkin.

John Alford married Mary Ann Hopkin 16 May 1878 at Hyson Green, Notts. Details from FMP's Nottinghamshire Marriages Index 1528-1929.
    Hyson Green parish not included in the images on Ancestry's Nottinghamshire, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1937

Another daughter, Edith Phoebe, birth registered June quarter 1881, Portsea Island registration district.
    Sadly, death registration Edith Phoebe Alford, aged 1, September quarter 1882, Portsea registration district.
    Burial details in FMP's Hampshire, Portsmouth burials dataset.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Josephine Victoria Alford died in Portsea Island, in 1877 aged 43.

The 1881 Census (Piece 1143 / Folio 104 / Page number 10) shows Minnie (born Sheerness) aged 5 living in Portsea with "her mother" Mary Ann Alford and a sister Florence A aged 2.

Both Mary Ann and Florence were born in Nottinghamshire. Mary Ann is described as the head of the household and as being married. The birth registration for Florence in Nottinghamshire (Radford district) does not list a maiden name for her mother, suggesting that her mother was not married.

There are a number of possible marriages for John and Mary Ann, but without her maiden name its not easy to pin point one.

Minnie appears to marry a chap called John Taylor in the mid-1890s and they went on to have 4 children. John was a petty officer in the coastguard. See 1911 census. I think that Minnie died in 1953 in Gosport.

Mary Ann Alford died in 1882 in Portsea.

By the 1891 census Minnie was a live in servant.

About 1898 Florence moved to Pennsylvania to live with an uncle - Henry Hopkin.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Josephine Victoria Alford died in Portsea Island, in 1877 aged 43.

The 1881 Census (Piece 1143 / Folio 104 / Page number 10) shows Minnie (born Sheerness) aged 5 living in Portsea with "her mother" Mary Ann Alford and a sister Florence A aged 2.

Both Mary Ann and Florence were born in Nottinghamshire. Mary Ann is described as the head of the household and as being married. The birth registration for Florence in Nottinghamshire (Radford district) does not list a maiden name for her mother, suggesting that her mother was not married.

There are a number of possible marriages for John and Mary Ann, but without her maiden name its not easy to pin point one.

Minnie appears to marry a chap called John Taylor in the mid-1890s and they went on to have 4 children. John was a petty officer in the coastguard. See 1911 census. I think that Minnie died in 1953 in Gosport.
    I appreciate that you were probably typing as I posted #3, but are you sure you're not having a funny turn?
    There's only one Florence Alford birth registration in Radford registration district between 1838 and 1881 on FreeBMD, and the GRO's own Index gives the mother's maiden name as Hopkin.
    See also my post #3 re John's marriage to Mary Ann Hopkin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    I appreciate that you were probably typing as I posted #3, but are you sure you're not having a funny turn?
    I was going to reply don't be daft, and then admit grudgingly that I was having a "senior moment", but I double checked, and it isn't me it's Findmypast. So I've just double checked with the GRO and they have it with the mother's maiden name (Hopkin), and its the same registration references as the FMP entry.

I was going to reply don't be daft, and then admit grudgingly that I was having a "senior moment", but I double checked, and it isn't me it's Findmypast. So I've just double checked with the GRO and they have it with the mother's maiden name (Hopkin), and its the same registration references as the FMP entry.
    It's strange how we all use different sites to find answers. And therefore probably not so strange that we sometimes get different answers. (Person A says 'nothing found', while Person B, annoyingly, rattles off a whole load of information. )
    Remember that FMP still basically uses the original GRO Index, as does FreeBMD. I believe that some of the information re maiden's maiden name and age at death as found in the 'new' GRO Indexes on their site has been added to FMP's birth and death indexes but obviously not all of it for all the years. (To Septrember quarter 1911 for mother's maiden name, and March quarter 1866 for age at death.)
    I tend to use FreeBMD for anything up to 1983, simply because of its superior search ability, and then go to the GRO site for the missing details. Anything post-1983 I use a combination of FMP and the GRO site, although FreeBMD's coverage from 1984-1992 is expanding rapidly.

Mary Ann Alford died in 1882 in Portsea.

By the 1891 census Minnie was a live in servant.

About 1898 Florence moved to Pennsylvania to live with an uncle - Henry Hopkin.
    Should have added this in my previous post -
    I don't think I would have ever have found that.

Pat -
    The image for the marriage Megan found for Minnie Alford and John Taylor can be seen on FMP's Hampshire Portsmouth marriages dataset.

Starting to feel at home

Pam How do I make this into a new post?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast