Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default TOMBSTONE PHOTOS JANEFIELD CEMETERY GLASGOW

I have very recently been given a series of tombstone photographs of individuals buried in the Eastern Necropolis Janefield Cemetery,Glasgow. These photographs were taken by my eldest daughter as part of our ongoing research into our Anglo Jewish lines.
    The photographs include both family members and non related individuals. It is our intention to re- visit the cemetery and take further photographs of tombstones.
    Importantly, I have begun to research and add data on each of the individuals and their respective families. This data and photographs will be added to Cemetery Scribes records later in the year.

As a summary, these are the names of the individual tombstone photographs I hold:

1 FANNY CRAWCOUR nee ALEXANDER died 1885 age 91

2 BARNETT ESS Died 1886 age 36

3 FANNY SIMONS died 1879

4 FANNY CRAWCOUR 3rd daughter of BARNETT CRAWCOUR died 1917

5 REBECCA JACOBS AGE 42 beloved wife of BENJAMIN SIMONS Fruit merchant. He was to marry twice the 2nd marriage was to HANNAH CRAWCOUR

6 THERESA COHEN SAMUEL died 1927 widow of Henry Samuel 1839-1885

7 BENJAMIN SIMONS died 1891

8 REBECCA JACOBSON died 1891 age 81

9 REUBEN ROITH died 1898

10 MARKS ROSENBERG died 1898 age 45

11 MINNIE MACHESKY? died 1897 age 28

12 JUDAS HYMAN age 60

13 HANNAH ASHER died 1901 age 85 (wife of Philip Asher)

14 SARA BARCINSKY last surviving daughter of Barnett Crawcour died 1928

15 SARAH GERTRUDE LEVY died 1892

16 ERNEST child of Fanny and Abraham HARRIS b 1889-1891

17 ABRAHAM GOODMAN died 1897

18 ASHER age 5 years 4 mths died 1895 ( surname not yet identified)

19 ANN ABRAHAMS died 1897 wife of Solomon Levy Abrahams

20 BESSIE COHEN died 1896 wife of Isaac Cohen

21 CLARA SIMONS wife of ISIDOR MORRIS died 1905

22 PHOEBE COHEN died 1906 age 81

23 SOLOMON LEVY ABRAHAMS died 1906 age 72

24 LILY child of Fanny and Abraham Harris 1886-1893

25 AARON KAPLAN died 1896 aged 44

26 ABRAHAM BRODE died 1895 aged 74

27 FANNY LEVISON died 1902 aged 69

28 ALBERT LOUIS died 1897 aged 56

29 EMMA ESTHER CRAWCOUR 2nd daughter of Barnett Crawcour died 1894 aged 77

My own lines are the Crawcour and the associated Simons with links through marriage to Morris and Russell families.

I will post further data.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Default CRAWCOUR-SIMONS TOMBSTONE PHOTOS GLASGOW

This post provides summary sources for my Crawcour and Simons relatives buried in the Eastern Necropolis Janefield Cemetery.
    See Cemetery Scribes Blog BARNETT CRAWCOUR -surgeon dentist c 1776-1834-Founder of Norwich Synagogue. In my article I provide a range of information on the family including the children of Barnett Crawcour; Fanny Crawcour Move to Glasgow,Scotland and the Scotland Census 1871-1881.
    See Cemetery Scribes Records Barnett Crawcour ID 7029

See JewishGen Online Worldwide Burial Registry Fanny Crawcour 1819-1917 and JewishGen 1851 Anglo Jewry Data base ID 22423; Emma Esther Crawcour 1817-1894 ID 22422;Fanny Crawcour nee ALEXANDER 1794-1885 ID 22421;Sarah BARCZINSKY nee CRAWCOUR ID 22428. Her husband Bernhard Barczinsky died in Belgium age 44 in 1882 and is buried in Belgium. See JewishGen 1851 Anglo Jewry Data base for records on the Crawcour,Simons and related lines.

See British Genealogy Forum Jewish Roots -Barnett Crawcour-surgeon dentist c 1776-1834 started 21.8.2010
    Bernhard Barczinsky -Sara Crawcour started 20.11.2017; Philip Simons- Elizabeth (Betsy)Benjamin started 5.3.2014; Benjamin Simons-Hannah Crawcour started 9.7.2010

I will post on the various individuals who I have listed in #1of this thread.

Thank you Philip.

I am happy to support other researchers Lesley if I can.

The following data is part of my ongoing research in order to provide information to accompany the tombstone photographs referred to in #1 of this thread.

Aaron Kaplan died 1896 age 44- see JewishGen online world wide burial registry -his family appear in the Scotland 1901 Census ( Copyright Scotland National Archives). Currently, I can't locate him or his family pre 1901. There are records of other Kaplan in the same area of Glasgow and they well be related.

The 1901 Census shows at 45 Main Street Gorbals Glasgow Lanarkshire
    Betsie Kaplan 49 Head staymaker b Russia
    Nathan Kaplan 26 tobacconist b Russia
    Sarah Kaplan 23 cigarette maker b Russia
    Selina Kaplan 28 Cigarette maker b Russia
    Fanny Kaplan 18 Cigarette maker b Russia
    Ben Kaplan 16 upholsterer apprentice b Russia
    Samuel Kaplan 14 Shop assistant tobacconist b Russia
    Abraham Kaplan 12 scholar b Russia
    Rachael Kaplan 17 b Glasgow
    Kate Kirshner 28 niece tailoress b Russia
    Sarah Kirshner dau 6 b Russia

Nathan Kaplan settled in South Africa in 1903. There is a photograph outside a tobacconist shop see Lost Glasgow Facebook

Nb As previously stated the various individuals I will post on are not related to me except where specified.

Tombstone photographs continued...
    Solomon Levy Abrahams burial 2 December 1906 age 72 Janefield Cemetery- see JewishGen Online worldwide burial registry. Records show he was born Plotzk Poland. His wife was Ann Levy 1836-1897. His parents ( I have not verified the data) show Leib Zajac Zions and Rachel Abrahams.
    1871 Scotland Census (Copyright Scotland National Archives)
    6 Brown Street Glasgow
    Solomon Abrahams 35 Clothier and fitter b Poland
    Ann wife 35 b England
    ? I ...
    Sarah dau 10 b England
    Lewis son b England
    Caroline dau 6
    Peter son 2 ???
    Rebecca dau 1 b Glasgow

1881 Scotland Census (Copyright Scotland National Archives)
    320 Vincent Street Glasgow
    Solomon Abrahams H 46 Foreign Money exchanger b Poland
    Annie wife 46
    Sarah 19
    Louis 18
    Caroline 17
    Esther 14
    Rebecca 13
    Daniel 9
    Julia 5
    Alfred 2

1901 Scotland Census (Copyright Scotland National Archives)
    12 St.George Road Glasgow
    Solomon Abrahams 64 b Russian Poland House furnisher
    Julia dau 24 House keeper
    Alfred son 22 b Glasgow Furniture salesman

The following data relates to Albert Louis aka Lewis burial age 56 24 December 1897 Eastern Necropolis Janefield Cemetery Glasgow.
    The Jewish Chronicle records various messages regarding the Louis family and associated lines. Doreen Berger in The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical information from the Jewish Newspapers 1871-80 Publisher Robert Boyd 1999 included the following- Mrs ALBERT LOUIS and MRS M RUSSELL... condolences for their late,lamented dearly beloved father B Mitchell of Plymouth... Sauchiehall Street Glasgow 17.12.1880
    Berger has linked the following family members to the record.. Maria Mitchell mother death 25.4.1879 11 Hoe Street Plymouth; Barnett Mitchell father died 6.12.1880 aged 82 at the residence of his daughter formerly of Plymouth, Misses Mitchell sisters, Mrs Perels sister

Death of Maria Mitchell's sister Mrs Rose Lyon Goldsmith of Stanley Road Southsea 20.9.1878 aged 67; Mrs I Ahronsberg daughter, Miss M Lyon daughter, Max Goldsmith son,Solomon Goldsmith son, J Goldsmith son

On Tues 19 August in her 81st year at 77 St.James Road Brixton, Fanny relict of Albert Louis, mother of Mrs J T Godfrey, Herman Louis, Mrs H Asher,Mrs J Henry, Mrs S E Crouch, Ruby Louis and Dora Louis Jewish Chronicle 22 August 1919

Various Ancestry family public trees have Albert Louis (Gottschalk) parents David Abraham (Goottschalk) Louis 1817-1870; Henrietta Cohen 1816-1871. Siblings John Louis c 1850-1885; Agusta (sister) 1852-1935 married Joseph Jackson

1891 Scotland Census ( Copyright Scotland National Archives)
    196 Saucheihall Street Glasgow
    Fanny Louis wife 52 b England
    Albert Louis father 50 b Germany furniture dealer
    Herman Louis son 25 b Wales
    Ben Levi visitor 24
    Miriam Louis dau 21 b Glasgow
    Louisa Louis dau 18 b Glasgow
    Marie Louis dau 11 b Glasgow
    Ruby Louis dau 8 b Glasgow
    Dora Louis dau 6 b Glasgow

1911 England Census (Copyright TNA)
    4 Trinity Square Brixton SW
    Louisa Henry H 37 Widow retired boarding house keeper b Glasgow
    Fannie Loui mother 72 widow b Lymouth Devon
    Herman Louis son 42 single traveller-Jewellry b Swansea Glam
    Dora Louis dau single 25 b Glasgow
    Dolly Henry dau 14 Milliner apprentice b Liverpool
    +3 boarders

1901 Census(Copyright TNA)
    Liverpool Mount Pleasant Lancashire
    Fannie Louis H Widow 62 boarding house keeper b Plymouth Devon
    Ruby dau s 18 drapers assistant b Scotland
    Dora dau s 16 b Scotland
    John Henry son in law M 29 Book ? b London
    Louisa Henry wife 27 b Scotland
    + 2 boarders

Parents of Fanny Louis nee Mitchell - Barnett Mitchell; Maria Solomon

Fanny Mitchell appears in the 1851 Anglo Jewry Data base JewishGen ID 5449
    1841 Census ( Copyright TNA)
    Plymouth Devon
    Barnet Mitchell 40 watcher maker b Foreign parts
    Maria Mitchell 35 umberlla maker Not born in county
    Michael Mitchell 8 Y
    James Mitchell 7 Y
    Louisa Mitchell 4 Y
    Fanny Mitchell 2 Y
    Abraham Mitchell 7 months Y

1851 Census (Copyright TNA)
    10 Hoe Street Plymouth Devon
    Barnett Mitchell H M 55? Dealer in jewellery b Russia BS
    Maria wife 46 Umbella and parasol maker b Devon Plymouth
    James son 17 u warehouseman b Devon Plymouth
    Louisa daua 14 b Devon Plymouth
    Fanny dau 12 b Devon Plymouth
    Abraham son 10 b Devon Plymouth
    Emma dau 8 b Devon Plymouth
    Rachel dau 3? b Devon Plymouth

I will post further on the connection between the Mitchell and Russell family. The Russell line connects to my Crawcour/Cohen De Lara line.

Barnett Mitchell ID 5447 1851 Anglo Jewry Data base - he appears in later census 1861 (Copyright TNA)RG9 1444 15 24
    Princess Place St.Andrew Devon
    Barnett Mitchell H M 67 Commission agent b Russia British Subject
    Maria wife 57 Photographic artist b Middx London
    Fanny dau s 22 dress maker b Devon Plymouth
    Emma dau 19 s dress maker b Devon Plymouth
    Rachel dau 14 scholar b Devon Plymouth
    Maud dau 9 b Devon Plymouth
    Maurice RUSSELL 4 grandson b Sheerness Kent ******

*****Nb Maurice is Maurice Moses Russell b 2nd April 1852 Sheerness Kent and died 1 Sept 1923 Yokohama Japan married Moyo Saito- see his Probate 111 Bluff Yokohama Japan died 1 Sept 1923 Probate Moyo Russell widow; George Russell and Paul Nipkow merchants Effects £1108 13s 1d. He is buried Yokohoma Foreign General Cemetery see Findagrave for his photograph with his wife plus tombstone and obituary.

His parents were Michael Russell 1821-1890 and Louisa Mitchell. The parents of Michael Russell were Samuel Russell and Catherine Myers. The parents of Samuel Russell were Moses Morris Russell 1771-1857 and Sarah Levine 1779-1847. Henry Russell 1814-1900 who married 1 Isabella Lloyd and 2 Hannah Cohen De Lara was the son of Moses Russell/Sarah Levin.
    I have posted a thread on Henry Russell and Hannah Cohen De Lara which relates to my Crawcour paternal line through the mother of Hannah.

In the 1871 Census Maurice is still living with Barnett Mitchell... (Copyright TNA) RG10 2116 94 22
    5 Compton Street Charles Devon
    Barnett Mitchell H M 77 Commission agent jewellery b Russian Poland
    Maria wife 67 b London
    Rachel dau u 23 Dress maker b Devon
    Maud dau u 19 school teacher
    Maurice grandson 14 b Kent

Marks (Max) Rosenberg 1853-1898 married Leah Bligh 1849-1908 ( the reference to the couple is taken from an Ancestry public family tree and I have not verified it).
    1881 Census (Copyright TNA) RG11 4517 10 3
    99 Templar Street Leeds Yorkshire
    Marks Rosenberg H M 27 Tailors machinist b Germany
    Leah wife 30 b Germany
    Jacob son 4 b Yorks Leeds
    Morris son 5 months b Yorks Leeds

1891 Scotland Census ( Copyright Scotland National Archives)
    5 Main Street Gorbals Glasgow
    Max Rosenberg H M 39 tailor machine b Russia
    Leah wife 42 b Russia
    Jacob son 14 b Leeds Yorkshire
    Moses son 10 b Leeds Yorkshire
    Polly dau 8 b Glasgow Lanarkshire
    Abraham LITMAN nephew 19 Machinist tailor b Russia

1901 Scotland Census (Copyright Scotland National Archives)
    56a Thistle Street Glasgow
    Leah Rosenberg mother 52 mantlemaker b Poland
    Moses son Mantlemaker b England
    Polly dau 17 b Glasgow tailoress

Findagrave Leah Rosenberg death April 1908 Sandymount Cemetery Glasgow
    JewishGen Online world wide burial registry Scotland- Leah Rosenberg death 8 April 1908 burial 9 April 1908 b 1848 age 60 Leah Bas Reb Moshe

A family tree on Ancestry has Jacob Rosenberg 1877-1912; Moses 1881-1931; Polly 1883- not known

This post provides data on AMELIA ROITH the wife of Reuben Roith. There are numbers of Ancestry public family trees which have the Roith line but they appear to have missed relevant records and not included Amelia.

The Tombstone photograph I hold shows the name Reuben Roith above Amelia's and her burial is 20 June 1898 age 36- see JewishGen online world wide burial registry. Another tombstone record shows Benjamin Roith 6 Sept 1898 age 3 months. These two records suggest that Amelia maybe the mother of Benjamin and her age at death may suggest complications after birth. Death records would show the cause of death and relationships. Such records of birth,marriage and death are lacking in the public trees.

The UK Naturalisation Certificate shows Reuben Roith 18 Warwick Street Glasgow Scotland subject of Russia born Brest,Litofsky son of Morris and Eve Roith subjects of Russia at age 37 a cigarette makers manager married with 3 children under age;
    Rachel 16; Sophia 5 ; Leon Morris 2

The 1891 England Census ( Copyright TNA) RG12 285 2243 6
    2? Providence Street St George in the East London
    Reuben Roith H M 29 Cigarette Maker b Russia Brest
    Amelia wife b Russia Katna
    Mark H son 16 mths b London St.Georges

Nb The surname Roith was to be amended to include Le Roith- the reason unclear

1901 Wales Census ( Copyright TNA)RG13 4981 72 9 26
    49 St.Mary Street Central Cradiff Glamorgan
    Reuben Roith H M 38 Licensed victualler employer b Russia Naturalised BS
    Jane wife 33 b Russia Nat BS
    Sophie dau 9 b Middlesex London
    Leon son 6 b Scotland
    Lilly Goldenson niece s 17 Hotel Barmaid b Glamorgan Cardiff

The GRO Marriage Index- Reuben Roith and Jane Cohen July qtr 1899 Cardiff 11a 576

1911 Census (Copyright TNA)
    27 Highlever Road North Kensington London
    Reuben Roith H M 57 Married 12 year 0 children Employer Cigarette Manufacturer b Russia Nat BS
    Jane wife 44 b Russia Nat BS
    Leon Morris son 16 Junior clerk at diamond merchant b Glasgow Scotland

In the 1928 London Electoral Registry Reuben and Jane are at 95 Highlever Road Kensington and Chelsea

Jane Roith died in 1931 and the surname was now Le Roith.
    Probate
    Jane Le Roith 95 Highlever Road Kensington wife of Reuben Le Roith died 11 February 1931 Administration to Reuben Le Roith tobacconist Effects £ 350

Reuben re married - GRO Marriage Index Reuben Le Roith April qtr 1931 Hampstead 1a 1541 Rose CAPLIN

In the 1932 London Electoral Registry the couple are at 30 Dennington Park Road Camden but by 1939 they had moved to Sussex.
    1939 Registry (Copyright TNA)
    33 Lansdowne Place Sussex
    Reuben ROITH b 20 August 1859 Cigarette Maker
    Rose Roith b 26 July 1865 Unpaid Domestic duties

Death GRO Index
    Reuben Roith b abt 1860 Oct qtr 1943 age 83 Worthing Sussex 2b 613

Probate
    Rose Roith 60 Tisbury Road Hove Sussex widow died 10 October 1946 at the Home for Jewish incurables St.Margarets House Streatley Bedfordshire Admin and will to July and Maud Jones spinsters £404 15s 4d

I will post further on the children of Reuben and Amelia.

The following data relates to Rachael and Leon Maurice Roith. South African records see Familysearch have a range of data on the lines. Rhoda Frances Le Roith 1973 Pre deceased spouse Leon Maurice Le Roith National Archive of South Africa (NASA;Samuel Radomsky 1953 surviving spouse Rachel Radomsky (born Le Roith)NASA; Rachel Radomsky death 1968 Transvaal Estate Death Index.
    JewishGen Online world wide burial registry -Rachel Le Roith date of death 3 October 1967 West Park Cemetery Johannesburg; Samuel Le Roith ( aka Rudomsky) death 8 April 1953 West Park Cemetery Johannesburg see Phoptographs of Tombstones. Rhoda Frances Le Roith Death 10 April 1973 Warren Hills Cemetery Harare Zimbawbe age 72 ( born 1901 Prince Edward Island Canada); Leon Maurice Le Roith Death 2 August 1962 age 67 Pioneer Street Harare Zimbabwe.
    Rhoda Le Roith - her parents Annie Rosenthal and Phillip aka Moses Fisher - born Poland Russia.

Rhoda married Leon Maurice Le Roith 11 September 1921 and died 9 Creswick Road,Hillside,Sailsbury Rhodesia
    Their children- Ainsley Charles Le Roith; Maureen Ann Hirschowitz
    Death certificate- Leon Le Roith 24 Hodson Avenue Alexander Park Sailsbury Rhodesia cause of death Coronary occlusion,Atherosclerosis, myxedema age 67 born Scotland

Samuel Radomsky born Russia. His parents Barnard and Edith Rossenberg born Russia, Jews- see Barnard Radomsky death certificate which has the names of Samuel's siblings- his father died Cape Town Hospital age 78 22 Feb 1922

Death Certificate Samuel Radomsky aka Le Roith 1878-1953 age 75 married Business agent died 8 April 1953 203 Yale Mansions Bok Street Johannesburg see cause of death and burial deatils.

see Death Notice Lily Todes b 1912 died 17 March 1999 Sea Point Cape daughter of Samuel and Rachel widow of Haman Todes (Deceased) - 2 children.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast