Loves to help with queries

Default Help needed in Monmouthshire.

I need help regarding nonconformist births/baptisms - Baptists. I have the following:
    George Thomas born Middlesex 18-4-1821: William Thomas born Llandyful, Cardiganshire 2-12-1823:
    Mary Thomas born Trevethin,Pontypool 6-1-1829: John Thomas born Trevethin 2-6-1831.
    However, it appears that all 4 were christened/baptised in Trosnant, Pontypool on 4-10-1831.
    Were these a baptism - or - were these just the registration of the births? The bottom of the form says "registered".
    I am fairly sure that Mary (Maria) died/buried 18-4-1829 when she was just 10 weeks old. On checking the 1841 Census it looks as though the name "Mary" was written and then crossed out and replaced with "John".
    If Mary died in 1829 why was the birth registered in October 1831?
    Am I going round in circles here?? Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks. Jeddah.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I'm not familiar with non-conformist religions but I found this extremely helpful. https://www.
    thegenealogist.co.uk/researchguide/non-conformist--non-parochial-records-100/
    The 'registered' at the bottom of the form would just mean registered into that religion.

They would certainly not be what is generally regarded as 'registered' because civil registration of births, marriages, and deaths, didn't begin in England and Wales until 1 July 1837.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

The register says 'Baptist Church Register'.

I was raised as a Baptist, and unlike most other faiths, Baptists are not baptised/christened as children but as adults, if they so choose (I didn't). They are however 'registered' into the church. So I appear in the records of my local Baptist church, as does my adult son, but neither of us have been baptised.

My mother was baptised in her early 20's I believe.

Thanks for that info. Never knew that about the Baptists. However - do you know if the parents would have "registered" a child into the church even if the child had already died two years previously? My lot were all registered together even though the daughter Mary had died. Ticklish one eh??? Love to hear your thoughts.
    Thanks. Jeddah..

Hi Pam, thanks for that. Shall check out that web site. Jeddsh.

Quote Originally Posted by jeddah View Post
    Thanks for that info. Never knew that about the Baptists. However - do you know if the parents would have "registered" a child into the church even if the child had already died two years previously? My lot were all registered together even though the daughter Mary had died. Ticklish one eh??? Love to hear your thoughts.
    Hard to say. From memory, if you skip back to the beginning of the register it says something about it being a register of births, so although it does seem a very odd thing to do its possible that Mary's birth was entered into the register simply as an acknowledgment that she had been born and that her parents were members of the congregation.

My mother's family were all Baptists (originally from Wales) and from what I recall each church was free to do its own thing - ie congregationalist in nature - so there's absolutely no hard and fast rule.

Many thanks for getting back to me. I might just have to go along with you and say that her parents wanted to have her birth acknowledged within the church. First time I've come across anything like this. Jeddah.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by jeddah View Post
    My lot were all registered together even though the daughter Mary had died. Ticklish one eh??? Love to hear your thoughts.
    Thanks. Jeddah..

Is it possible that there was a second daughter called Mary or Maria? It is not uncommon to find a younger sibling being given the same name as their deceased sibling.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Is it possible that there was a second daughter called Mary or Maria? It is not uncommon to find a younger sibling being given the same name as their deceased sibling.
    No, the register records the date & place of birth of each child, so Mary's reads:
    These are to Certify that Mary Thomas Daughter of Thomas Thomas and Mary his wife was born in Farteg (sic) in the parish of Trevethin in the County of Monmouth the 6th day of January 1829. Registered 4 Oct 1831 by me John Williams Protestant Dissenting Minister.

The burial referred to was recorded in the parish church records for Trevethin:
    18 Apr 1829 Maria Thomas, Sowhill, aged 10 weeks.