Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

If you are 100% certain that Matthew's middle name was Thomas then I am equally 99.999999999999999999% certain that your Matthew is the son of Thomas and Peggy.

Did Emma re-marry locally to Elko? If so, then it would be logical that Matthew died in that area.
    There's a US-based newspaper site called newspapers.com who I think offer a free trial, you could try searching that for Matthew's death.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I'm liking these odds!

Emma remarried in Gilpin County Colorado. She was the youngest of 13 children and the sisters pretty much stayed close by.

I never understood why Matthew/Emma went to Tuscarora other than the mining aspect; however, there is a William Trembath who is also listed on the 1880 Tuscarora census. I'm fairly certain I just connected William and Matthew as cousins.

My "feeling" about Matthew has always been he either died in Tuscarora or somewhere between there and Gilpin County. I have not found a gravesite for him and it's entirely possible that one does exist. In fact, Emma is buried in Placerville, Colorado with no grave marker.

I've been in touch with historical societies in Elko, Gilpin and a couple other counties in Colorado where the families hung out - but the records did not officially start during that time period which makes finding things hard.

I am filtering through the family search link you sent and am crossing my fingers I'll find his name there. Not sure how I never saw that item on family search before.

I really appreciate your help and guidance - this is a big breakthrough on my research!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12