Default BENJAMIN HART -SHADWELL AND HOLYWELL STREET

This new thread is a follow up to much earlier threads posted over 10 years ago. These threads are;
    Elizabeth Hart and Moses Cohen Marriage started 15.7.2011 and Henry Moses-Rosa Hart started 21.4.2012.
    These threads relate to my Benjamin Hart paternal line. I have previously posted in part on Benjamin Hart my 4x great grandfather and father of John Hart who married Elizabeth Jacobs my 3x great grandparents.

In numbers of online family trees data has been cited without supporting evidence of his death ranging from 1836 to the 1880s. The 1836 reference appears to be based on my own BG Forum posts and there are no records to confirm that he died later than that approximate date.

In addition, further research confirmed that Benjamin had a son Solomon who settled in the USA and died in that country. My reference to a daughter Elizabeth who married Moses Cohen was posted on in 2011 as previously stated.

In this thread I will provide data on Benjamin Hart which requires further research specifically surrounding the early records. Nb There are currently no records which confirm where Benjamin was born or who his wife was. Similarly, there are no records to confirm whether or not he had siblings or who his parents were or where he originated from.

As a recap on Benjamin Hart's descendants were:
    Rosa Hart 1794-1880 married Henry Moses -1855
    Michael Hart 1803 1861 married Frances Davis 1814-1878
    John aka Jacob Hart 1797-1865 married Elizabeth Jacobs 1801-1872
    Henry Hart 1800-1868 married Rosa Lyons 1806-1861
    Solomon Hart c 1810-1866 unmarried
    Louis aka Lewis aka Yehuda Hart 1804-1875 married Julia Levy 1812-1886
    Morris Hart 1806-1876 unmarried
    Elizabeth Hart b unknown died unknown married Moses Cohen in 1829

At the time of my early research I had questionned whether or not Benjamin Hart the father of Elizabeth was the same person as Benjamin Hart who later was in partnership with his son Louis aka Lewis at 3 and 7 Holywell Street Strand in the 1830s.
    The Morning AdverTiser 10 January 1829 referred to the Grand Jewish Wedding of Elizabeth Hart to Moses Cohen..."On Wednesday evening the marriage of Mr M Cohen of Newington, to Miss Elizabeth Hart of Holywell Street,Strand was celebrated at the Assembly Rooms, Finsbury Square with remarkable splendour.."

The article described Benjamin Hart as 'an old and respectable inhabitant of St.Mary le Strand". The London Evening Standard 10 Jan 1829 referred to "Mr Hart's splendid mansion ..residence of Mr Hart in Finsbury Square2. Reference was made to Benjamin Hart as a jeweller. It appears that the newspaper may have confused the Assermbly Rooms Finsbury Square with the actual residence of Benjamin Hart.

The question as to whether or not Benjamin Hart a jeweller and Benjamin Hart a clothes dealer, glover, hatter were one in the same may have been resolved in the following records and newspaper accounts.
    The records from the London Insurance Policies -JewishGen UK Data base indicate:
    Benjamin Hart salesman,silversmith, dealer in hats,hardware and toys 4 Upper Shadwell 17.01.1803 at the corner of West Gardens

Benjamin Hart silversmith 4 Ratcliffe Highway 23.3.1803 -Benjamin Abraham's policy -corner of West Gardens
    Benjamin Hart 28.01.1807 jeweller,silversmith, hatter and slop seller 4 High Street Shadwell.
    From 1809 there is Benjamin Hart dealer in wearing apparel 7 Holywell Street - same address in 1822 and earlier in 1804 at 7 Holywell Street glover and dealer in wearing apparel.

The Public Ledger and Dailyu Advertiser August Wednesday 5 1807 stated that Benjamin Hart silversmith and salesman was quitting his business at premises nearly opposite Bluegate Fields Shadwell High Street Ratcliffe Highway with a sale of all the stock, furniture, bedding,clothing etc and lease of premises.

By 1829 the year when Elizabeth Hart of Holwell Street married Moses Cohen there was a Benjamin Hart at 3 and 7 Holywell Street Strand in partnership with Lewis Hart trading as glovers,tailors and clothes salesmen. In 1833 at the same address Benjamin Hart was trading solely with Samuel Hart having quit the partnership. Who this Samuel Hart was I have yet to identify but The London Gazette 24 May 1833 referred to the dissolution of the partnership between Benjamin Hart and Lewis Hart at 3 and 7 Holywell Street Strand Middlesex clothes salesmen trading under B Hart and Son. Benjamin Hart took on the debts.

These records and newspaper accounts confirm that the Benjamin Hart of Shadwell High Street was trading in clothing as well as being a silver smith. Is he the same person trading in Holywell Street after 1807. The wedding ceremony suggests that this is possible.

Further data to be posted.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

The following newspaper accounts confirm Benjamin Hart of Holywell Street..."To the Editor of the Morning Herald Sir, Upon looking at your paper of this day, I find, in your Police Report, a case of assault, in which I am stated to be held in bail. Such is not true, as I am not the person, or party in it, as I understand it is another Mr Hart, and not Sir; Your most obedient BENJAMIN HART 7 Holywell Street.
    Morning Herald 9London) 27 Nov 1823

Public Nusiance -British Press 22 Nov 1819
    " Saturday as information was heard against Benjamin Hart of Holywell Strand,salesman, under M.A. Taylor's Metropolis Paving Act, for exposing clothes ouside his door and window, contrary to the provision of that statute..." The article described the lengthy discussions following the complaint and included reference to the defendant arguing strongly that he was a victim of unjust prosecution. The surveyor of the Commission Mr Cadogan withdrew the complaint.

Married
    On the 8th inst, Mr Moses Cohen of Newington to Elizabeth,daughter of Mr Benjamin Hart of Holywell Street,Strand Morning Chronicle 10 Jan 1829

As a follow up to an earlier thread UK -US Descendants of Benjamin Hart of London started 13.12.2013 see #2 on Solomon Hart son of Benjamin. The Evansville Journal 21 August 1866 recorded the death of Solomon.. "Solomon Hart,an old and prominent merchant of Louisville died at Crab Orchard Springs today"

Louisville Kentucky Directory 1838-39 has Solomon Hart clothier no 15 wall,h ss main b 6th and 7th b main and water and in the 1850 US Census Louisville Kentucky Solomon Hart b England merchant tailor 57 with 3 clerks named.

The Louisville Jefferson Kentucky Directory 1848-49 has Solomon Hart and Co merchant tailors and dealers in clothing 440 mrkt,bt,4th and 5th , and c 3d and mrkt

The following data provides online data on the children of Benjamin Hart:
    The 2 main sources are JewishGen 1851 Anglo Jewry Data base and Cemetery Scribes websites. In the case of the Cemetery Scribes records there are associated links to mini Family trees.
    Lewis Hart 1851 Anglo Jewry Data base ID 19500;Cemetery Scribes ID 3296
    Henry Hart 1851 Anglo Jewry Data base ID 9109; Cemetery Scribes ID 3580- see BG Forum Jewish Roots for thread on Henry Hart-Rosa Lyons
    Rosa Moses nee Hart 1851 Anglo Jewry Data base ID 13112; Cemetery Scribes ID 7497 see BG Forum Jewish Roots for thread on Henry Moses-Rosa Hart
    John Hart 1851 Anglo Jewry Data base ID 26710; Cemetery Scribes ID 3627 see also the JacobsFamily Tree website which has data on the line see also British Genealogy Forum Jewish roots threads on the line and the children
    Michael Hart Cemetery Scribes ID 7496 - see British Genealogy Forum Jewish Roots for thread on Michael Hart-Frances Davis plus separate threads on each of their children and see First American Jewish Families family genealogy on the Hart/Davis lines
    Morris Hart Cemetery Scribes ID 7498 - he is not easily traceable pre 1860 and does not appear in the 1851 Anglo Jewry Data base
    Solomon Hart only appears in US records and not UK Data
    Elizabeth Hart appears in no records post her 1829 marriage- see British Genealogy Forum Jewish Roots thread on Elizabeth Hart- Moses Cohen marriage and in this thread

Wherever possible I have provided significant data and sources on the above lines on this forum together with associated lines.