Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Default Unindexed records on FamilySearch

Way back in 2007 I compiled a list of 'essential' useful sites including FreeBMD, FreeREG, FreeCEN, Genuki, and FamilySearch.

The latter I described as
    "An excellent source of baptisms and marriages from approximately 1600 to 1850. Be aware that 'submitted' entries can be unreliable, and that 'about' can mean up to 20 years either way!"

A lot of things have changed on FamilySearch in the sixteen years since I first wrote that. Firstly, records have expanded from just baptisms and marriages to now include deaths/burials. The years have expanded from possibly since records began in a particular country to almost the present day. And many indexes now have images available.

However, there are still millions of records which remain unindexed but you can still search them. Laborious, as people familiar with going through the pages of unindexed parish registers held at the county archives in pre-internet days will confirm, but also, as those same people will confirm, it can be extremely rewarding. For tips on how to search those unindexed records watch this video.
    youtube.com/watch?v=P1J3kQ3uAQQ
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Knowledgeable and helpful

Great tip Pam. Thank you
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke