Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Need help filling in the gaps...

WWI RFC Canada Airman 2nd class discharged after 89 days then receives RAF Lieutenant's Pension? Need help filling in the gaps...

In need of direction, please...

Joseph (Josiah) Alexander Carlisle, born near Belfast in 1895, came to the U.S. from in 1913, when he was about 17 years old. He came to join his father,, Alexander Carlisle, who was already establushed in the U.S. and working as a joiner in Paterson, New Jersey.

The following information was found through ancestry.com and Fold3:
    By 1917, when Joseph was 21, he was working for the New York City Transit System when he registered for the ⁰ U.S. draft. Hi registration card, dated 5 Jun 1917, listed previous service in the North Irish Horse (2 years).

Soon after, on 23 Jul 1917, he enlisted in Royal Flying Corps training at Toronto, CA, as 2AM (Airman 2nd class?)

His Army Form B505 is stamped "Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1074 (or 1974), " and it appears he was discharged after 89 days, under KR&O 1912, para. 392, Section xvi. (Is that a medical discharge?) His serial number is 73243 and the statement "War badge was issued" was written across the top.

I then find a pension ledger entry that lists him as a Lieutenant, assigned regiment RFC, classified as "Officers Survived Cam G-Chapponiere Rd H". Regional no. OA 199607.

His pension file index lists his home address as Wheeling WV, USA, where his grandson grew up.. Joseph worked at the Fokker Aircraft plant in Glendale, West Virginia. His grandson states that Joseph told him he served in the RAF but Joseph did not talk about it a lot or give much detail

A search of https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/ finds Serial number 73243, assigned to J A Carlisle, was transferred to RAF from Canada.

I am fairly confident that these records all refer to the same person through matching identifiers and through corroborating information from Joseph's grandson.

I think there might be an interesting story here, if I could fill in some of the gaps...

The main questions I have are:

Could an individual re-enter service after being discharged as unfit? If so, is it likely that an airman 2nd class would achieve the rank of Lieutenant in such a presumably short time (less than 2 years).

Is there documentation that would give more information about his offender status? Where would I look for that?

The reference on the pension ledger, "Officers Survived Cam G-Chapponiere Rd H"-- Does that refer to Cambrai? Or something else?

This pension index is stamped "Regional no. OA 199607." Would there be resources that would provide additional details of his service, such as the full pension file. How do I request those records?

Can anyone offer insight on what might have happened to Joseph during his service and any ideas for my next steps. I'm fairly new researching military records so any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Rossann

A warm welcome to Brit-gen.
    1912 Kings Regulations
    https://military-researcher.co.uk/Kin...roduction.html

Click on "(xvi)"
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

You can find paras 399-410 of 1912 Kings Regs here
    https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?...ew=1up&seq=191
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you so much for responding so quickly! So it looks like it was a medical discharge. It makes me even more curious how he became a lieutenant. Thanks again for your help!