Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Lost in 1921 .......... again

I feel the need to apologise asking for help because, again, I cannot find a family in the 1921 census.

This time it is Roderick Stuart Hume born 1884 in Ireland who was married to Ethel Maud May (possibly known as May) born 1892 in Goole, Yorkshire. Roderick and May had a son Edward John Hume (known in the family as Jack) born in 1916 and probably had the daughter of Roderick's deceased older sister living with them. The daughter was Kathleen Crowther born 1911.

In 1924 I have Roderick applying for his WWI medals from an address in the Wirral.

I have searched for all four people using a plus or minus 5 years on birth year and with name variants ticked but cannot find them .................

Super Moderator

The 1939 Register has Roderick S Hume DOB 5 August 1884 a Bank Manager. Ethel M Hume DOB 5 July 1892, Edward DOB 1 May 1916 a Traveller and Salesman, Textile Men's Wear and now unemployed. All living at 18 The Square, Ilford, Essex.

Roderick married Ethel M M Hopkinson in Mar Qtr. 1915 in N. Bierley

Edward was born in Shropshire - they moved around a bit didn't they!

Can't find anything on the 1921. I looked at all the Roderick's but nothing that could match.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Search for HURNE living in Birkenhead registration district
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator

Did Roderick die in 1961? Norwich reg. district?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Sue: Your research is all correct. I have a very complete biography of the family but 1921 was a big black hole! Yes, they did move around quite a bit but I have managed to connect with a grandson of Roderick and we have been able to share things. They have shared photos and I have shared information which is why I was keen to fill in the 1921 gap. Roderick Hume made the papers way back as he saved the life of a drowning man (attempted suicide) and won two civilian/life saving medals for his actions. Sadly, no-one in the family has the medals.

Pam: Thank you very much! Looking at the transcript of the household schedule it is a mess! The transcriber has also missed off a person in the household who seems to be an elderly relative of Ethel so a bit more digging for me there.

As you say, he was awarded the Humane Society's Bronze Medal in late 1912 for saving a man from the Mersey. Seems he was a bit of a swimmer -
    Liverpool Evening express, 7 Sep 1911
    The ninth annual gala in connection with the Liverpool United Banks Swimming Club was held last night -
    Results were as follows
    Four lengths (handicap) - 1. R S Hume; 2 W T Ellis; 3 A V smith
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"