Famous for offering help & advice

Default Page Not Working - Too many redirects

Wolverhamptonhistory.org.uk/resources/indexes is a page I've been using for years. Last year I started getting "This Page isn't working, clear cookies, too many redirects". After clearing cookies could sometimes get on it, sometimes not. Files won't open on Wayback Machine.

This year I'm unable to access it on Google, through Chrome, at all, same message. I've just had a brainwave(rare occurrence at my age) and found Microsoft Edge, put the website in and hey presto straight into the site!

Why?? Thoughts.....

Scrub that after posting this, and accessing 3 files I'm getting the same message on Edge.....

Valued member of Brit-Gen

On trying myself (Chrome) I get:
    Cornucopia Migration and Upgrade
    June 2020
    Hello Cornucopia user. Cornucopia is currently being migrated to a new platform to support #CollectionsUnited.
    Orangeleaf Systems Ltd remain committed to providing access to the industry standard RSLP Collection Level Descriptions of the UK.
    More to be announced over the summer 2020. Thank you, and see you soon!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I've just tried it in Firefox and Chrome, and both times receive the message

'Cornucopia Migration and Upgrade
    June 2020
    Hello Cornucopia user. Cornucopia is currently being migrated to a new platform to support #CollectionsUnited.
    Orangeleaf Systems Ltd remain committed to providing access to the industry standard RSLP Collection Level Descriptions of the UK.
    More to be announced over the summer 2020. Thank you, and see you soon!'

I can access some parts of the site via the Wayback Machine using links from years prior to 2020, but sadly not the actual PR indexes.

ADDED: Lesson to us all. If you find a site and can download indexes, do so then and there because you never know when they will vanish!
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks Pam,

That presumably is why I had difficulties last year. Wonder why I could access it on microsoft Edge today and it permitted me to download 3 files (I had downloaded 5 files last year) then it gave up the ghost!

The wonders of modern technology!

Mitch

PS if anyone wants copies I have:

Wolverhampton area (churches) Burials 1813-1992 all surnames
    Merridale Cemetery Burials 1904-1937 all surnames
    Merridale Cemetery Burials 1879-1904 Q to Y surnames.

Nothing on Chrome this morning but Edge permitted me to download 21 files before the dreaded 'redirects' message!
    So now have all of Merridale Cemetery 1850-1937, Willenhall St Anne Marriages and Baptisms 1861-1935, Wolverhampton District Burials 1813-1992 and Wolverhampton Circuit, Methodist: Baptisms, Marriages and Burials 1726-1968.
    See what tomorrow brings!

Pleased you're managing to get some of the files at least, Mitch.

I've been practising what I preached , and have been busy copy-and-pasting a load of Woodhall-and-variants baptisms, marriages, and burials.

Yes it's one of those things that we need to do but never do. Pleased to say I've got most of what was left that I needed using Bing today.

There is another website I have used for decades - Wirksworth.org.uk - I attempted to purchase the CD version years ago but never got a response and no site updates since 2016. I have copied and pasted some of the pages, but they aren't 'files', and there are millions of pages. I dread to think of the loss to research when the site disappears as I doubt wayback machine will have captured the AZ contents of every indexed section!

I've seen the Wirksworth site before now, but never used it as I don't have anyone in Derbyshire.
    I did just check it, and there's a note on the page which says that the site is available via the Wayback Machine. I've not checked every link, but have clicked on a few and they do seem to all work, so here's hoping that the details will be available for as long as the Wayback Machine exists.

Even relatively small websites can contain a wealth of information which it would be a shame to lose if the site no longer existed and hadn't been picked up by the Wayback Machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Even relatively small websites can contain a wealth of information which it would be a shame to lose if the site no longer existed and hadn't been picked up by the Wayback Machine.
    This is all very true!