Thread: Ernie Atkinson

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Smile Ernie Atkinson

Have received mother's ATS WW2 military records. Interested in what is not mentioned in her records to ascertain where she was posted, which may be security-related. Mother married a Canadian soldier. I was born in Edinburgh and we emigrated to Canada, early 1944.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    What exactly are you looking for? I have my Dad's records for the same period and (bearing in mind that at that time the women's and men's services were different organisations) the amount of info about posting locations is minimal and full of abbreviations. Sometimes it's just something like "Far East Command", sometimes it's the name of a base. Depending on her trade, she could have an entry for a stay of a few days, or for months or longer.
    They were thinking about staff administration at the time, not historical records.
    There are sites that give definitions for abbreviations.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default My quest

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    What exactly are you looking for? I have my Dad's records for the same period and (bearing in mind that at that time the women's and men's services were different organisations) the amount of info about posting locations is minimal and full of abbreviations. Sometimes it's just something like "Far East Command", sometimes it's the name of a base. Depending on her trade, she could have an entry for a stay of a few days, or for months or longer.
    They were thinking about staff administration at the time, not historical records.
    There are sites that give definitions for abbreviations.
    Thanks for responding, Lesley. To be more specific, my mother's WW2 ATS record only indicates postings in Edinburgh. However, conversations of my mother and sister reveal that she had been posted to London (High Command?) at some stage of her military record. My understanding is that security-related postings may only be available on direct contact with the location. When my mother was discharged in January, 1943, The "Station" was indicated as "Winchester", not far from London.