Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gomer Williams

Starting to feel at home

Default Gomer Williams

Hi, We know that Ellis Griffiths Williams was born in the Pontypridd area on Aug.8th, 1908. His father was also called Gomer and was 21 in 1901. His mother was called Mary. Other than that we don't know Gomer's family history or Mary's. Any more info. would be welcome. Thankyou.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

According to the GRO Index,
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp
    Ellis' mother's maiden name was Owen.

The next question is - what absolute, undeniable, proof, do you have that Ellis' mother's name was Mary? e.g. his birth certificate, or a copy of the baptism entry in a parish register.
    Because I think she was called Sarah Jane.
    In the 1911 census there's an Ellis J G Williams (listed as granddaughter!) aged 2, born Senghenydd (which I've found is only two spits downwind away from Pontypridd) in the household of Ellis and Eunice Owen, with their daughter Sarah Williams, aged 28, Mary A Williams, aged 3 months (another granddaughter), and three lodgers. Living 46 Stanley St, Senghenydd, near Cardiff. Census reference RG14PN32244 SN147
    Sarah married 4 years, and has had 2 children, both living.
    That would tie in with a marriage of Gomer Williams and Sarah Jane Owen in Pontypridd registration district in March quarter 1907.

No Gomer with them in 1911, but he is with Ellis, Sarah Jane and two others in 1921. If you want the full 1921 census details then you will have to look them up for yourself. Forum rules, as well as FMP's T&Cs, forbid any details other than those found in the 1921 free index by a third party being given on the forum.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I should also ask from where you've got the knowledge that Gomer was 21 in 1901. It doesn't match his age in the 1921 census.
    Having never heard of the name before, I now find that it was quite popular in Wales. And not just with Williams as a surname, either.

Super Moderator

Looking at the free index entries in the 1921 census there is a Gomer with a birth date showing as 1876 living with a Sarah Jane and an Ellis Williams. Checking FreeBMD the only birth entry I can see is in 1879 in Pomtypridd. (two entries March and September Qtr.) If either of these are the right one then Gomer would have been about 21 in 1901.

Starting to feel at home

The info. on my post was gathered from a bunch of old photos, with names and various dates on the back eg Mary, 21, 1921, Gomer…not, I know, absolute, undeniable, proof of anything. We had never heard the name Gomer before and that is why we are interested in it’s roots. We are well aware of Forum rules regarding the disclosure of information. I have sent for various birth/ marriage certs.to dig deeper into the family tree. It’s worth paying for this service, as well as for the 1921 Census. Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    Looking at the free index entries in the 1921 census there is a Gomer with a birth date showing as 1876 living with a Sarah Jane and an Ellis Williams. Checking FreeBMD the only birth entry I can see is in 1879 in Pomtypridd. (two entries March and September Qtr.) If either of these are the right one then Gomer would have been about 21 in 1901.
    I don't think you can rely on Pontypridd as Gomer's birth registration district. And as I've previously said, Gomer Williams seems to have been quite a popular name. OP needs his place of birth from the 1921 census, then trace Gomer back through the 1911, 1901, etc, census, in conjunction with his marriage certificate which wil hopefully name his father, before ordering a birth certificate for him.

Quote Originally Posted by P.Harrison View Post
    The info. on my post was gathered from a bunch of old photos, with names and various dates on the back eg Mary, 21, 1921, Gomer…not, I know, absolute, undeniable, proof of anything. We had never heard the name Gomer before and that is why we are interested in it’s roots. We are well aware of Forum rules regarding the disclosure of information.
    I have a feeling that I might not have expressed myself very clearly about the 1921 census.
    Unless you have a Premium subscription to Findmypast, then images and full transcriptions are only available by individual payments for each record. FMP have invested a lot of time and money into the 1921 census, so it's only fair that they get a return on that. Hence the rule of 'only information in the free index can currently be given in the forum'. (Though it is amazing just how much information you can get from the free index. Name, year of birth, birthplace, town/parish where living, and names of some of the other occupants in the same household.) Once you have paid to see the 1921 images/transcriptions, then you are free to quote any of the details and ask questions about them.

I have sent for various birth/ marriage certs.to dig deeper into the family tree. It’s worth paying for this service, as well as for the 1921 Census. Thank you for your help.
    My absolute rule is - obtain all BMD certificates for my all direct ancestors.
    The only reason I didn't tell you to buy any was because it wasn't clear where your information has come from. Could have been certificates, family stories, etc. And sometimes if you want to sort out twigs and branches in your tree, you have to be prepared to splash the cash and buy certificates. Hopefully you're ordering direct from
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp
    and not via any third parties who charge an arm and a leg for ordering from the same place.
    For the moment, have you ordered just Ellis' birth certificate, and the one for his parents' marriage?

Starting to feel at home

Yes, we have and hopefully we’ll get more answers. Thank you for your great advice, much appreciated.

Starting to feel at home

Default Gomer Williams

I am trying to find the family of our ancestor, Gomer Williams, whose father was called Gwilliam. We know of 3 Gomer Williams born in the Merthyr Tydfil area in 1874, 1875 and 1878. However none had a father Gwilliam. According to the 1921 census our Gomer Williams was 45, born 1876, Aberdare, married to Sarah Jane Williams ( nee Owens) . They married in 1907. We know that Gwilliam had died before Gomer got married. Efforts to find Gomer’s birth cert. have failed.

I thought that name sounded familiar.

First question:
    Are you basing Gomer's father being Gwilliam purely on the name given on Comer's marriage certificate?
    And does it give an occupation for Gwilliam, or just say 'deceased'?
    Both of which, as many previous answers on the forum have proved, can be incorrect. (One of my 2 or 3 great-grandmothers said her father was Thomas. Nope, she was illegitimate, and Thomas was her grandfather.)

Question two:
    How old does it say Gomer was on the day he married in 1907, and when was that date? (Trying to establish the accuracy in 1907 to his age in the 1921 census.) Also, how old was Sarah on the marriage certificate?

And, finally, based on his age(s) in 1907 and 1921, plus his place of birth in 1921, have you traced Gomer back on the census to 1881? Don't waste time looking for him with a father named Gwilliam. That 2/3 great-grannie of mine was living with her grandparents in 1851, and her mother was elsewhere. By 1861 Mary was a servant living away from home, so she never appeared on a census with her mother (or father).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast