Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Death Certificate Information

Yesterday my sister asked me for a copy of our father's death certificate as she has agreed to be part of a genetic testing programme for the health service, and she needed it so that the cause of death could be seen.

My father died in March 2007, just as the certificates became "computerised" rather than being hand written, and his certificate is No. 2 for the district.

I've never really looked at it before, but it does not show the cause of death...........

I haven't got any more recent death certificates, so is this now the norm?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Is there not a box for cause of death? Seriously can't believe there isn't. It's the equivalent of having a marriage certificate without the names of the bride and groom.

In a 'safe place' (aka 'somewhere in the house')I have one for later than 2007 and I'm sure the (green?) form detailing the cause of death had to be produced when the death was registered. Obviously, because I don't know exactly where I've filed the certificate, I can't remember what details are on it.

I did find this, and paragraphs 1 and 2 deal with certificates at the time of publication (April 2005), and say that further changes are unlikely to take place before 2008/2009.
    https://www.bsuh.nhs.uk/library/wp-c...cm69-21289.pdf

Perhaps a question for either the local issuing office and/or the GRO.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

No, that isn't the norm. My parents died in 2014 & 2022, and both certificates state the cause of death (primary and contributory).

My mother died in hospital (2014) and I was given the official death certification form to take to the registrar. My Dad died last year and his form was emailed straight from the GP to the registrar.

I think that I might have to order a copy from the GRO to see if the one that I have is a mistake......
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 07-03-2023 at 7:54 PM. Reason: Link to image of certificate removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    I think that I might have to order a copy from the GRO to see if the one that I have is a mistake......
    Pfft. Maybe it's because I'm mean, but I certainly wouldn't be forking out eleven quid for another copy. I would contact the issuing office first, asking if a death certificate has always had to have a cause of death given on it, and if they say 'yes', then ask why they've issued one without it.

The nearest (English) one I have to your date is from 2002, and its boxes are
    1. Date and place of death
    2. Name
    3. Sex
    4. Maiden surname of woman who has married
    5. Date and place of birth
    6. Occupation and usual address
    7. (a) Name and surname of informant
    (b) Qualification
    (c) Usual address
    8. Cause of death
    9. 'I certify that the particulars given by me above are true to the best of my knowledge and belief'
    (signed by informant)
    10. Date of registration
    11. Signature of registrar

Although mine's English, the Welsh ones should have identical boxes.

Perhaps Jomot1 could confirm if the boxes on her later (English?) ones still have those same boxes.

The only difference on my later English ones (2014 and 2022) are that boxes 8 & 9 are the other way round, ie the informant only certifies that the personal details are true, and then the cause of death is certified by the doctor.

Looking again at the one the Megan has posted, there is no box for the Registrar's details either, but the boxes that are there are in the same order as my English-only certificates.

Megan - are you sure the certificate doesn't continue overleaf or onto a second page?

Mystery solved .............

Its bilingual so despite being computerised, and in theory needing less space than hand written ones, it needs more space.

So as Jomot1 says it is two pages.

I've had to go into my archives and dig out the paper copies as opposed to relying on my computer.

Good to have the problem solved.
    I'd noticed that it didn't have the date of registration and signature of registrar on your copy.
    Pity I didn't have the brains to think there might have been another page to the document.