Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Margaret Topping in Wigan

I have an Alice Higson baptised in Wigan in 1864 daughter of Joseph Higson and Sarah Ann?

1849 Joseph Higson and Sarah Ann Perrey/Peney/Perry/Penny married in Standish, Lancashire. (looking at marriage register it looks like Peney .. her father was Joseph - A coachmaker.)
    Sarah & Joseph Higson together in 1861 census . A Sarah Higson died in Wigan in 1866.

1871 Wigan Census lists Alice Higson (6) with her grandmother Margaret Topping (and siblings Thomas and Martha). 1881 still with gran aged 16. Alice Higson married James Mullen in 1883 in Wigan, and they migrated to Australia - one of their daughters was named Margaret Topper Mullen.

A Margaret Topping died 1881 Wigan aged 68. A Margaret Perry married John Topping in Wigan in 1844. I am unsure if I am on the right track. Can anyone please help with Margaret’s history. Thank you

Brick wall demolition expert!

First of all I think that you have got the right death, because the Margaret Topping who died in Wigan in 1881 was aged 68, which ties in with the ages in the various censuses.

Every census says that Margaret was born in Wigan. The 1861 Census (Piece 2775/Folio 30 / Page 3) is particularly helpful as it tells us that she was a widowed retired publican living with two Higson granddaughters, her married sister Ellen Greenwood, her unmarried brother William Daniels (b. abt 1819), and two nieces.

The next bit I am not certain about is the 1851 Census (Piece 2199 / Folio 2 /Page 500) where Margaret is living with her husband Robert Topping a victualler born in 1815. The occupation is consistent with Margaret saying later that she was a retired publican. However, I can’t see a marriage between Margaret Daniel and Robert Topping, nor can I see a marriage between Ellen Daniel and a Mr Greenwood.

I favoured the John Topping/Margaret Perry route until I checked Margaret's occupation on the '61 Census - "Retired publican". I had spotted a Margaret Topping on the '51 Census with a Robert Topping, publican - address Wallgate.
    The Lancs OPC has the 5 Jan 1855 burial of Robert Topping, Wallgate, age 39. Margaret is a widow in '61. Think I have Robert, unmarried, Ostler in '41.

There's this marriage which looks promising -
    Robert Toppin, Sep Qtr 1848, Runcorn, 19 210 - on the same page is a Margaret Perry.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

A Margaret Daniel the daughter of James and Margaret Daniel was baptised 5 Dec 1813 in Wigan. They were living in Hallgate and he was a warper. Similarly a son William of the that couple was baptised 30 August 1818.

Thank you to all for puzzling over my problem. I thnk the "Margaret Perry married John Topping in Wigan in 1844" I previously mentioned might be good because of the Wigan address. I now notice the marriage register doesnt say father Joseph Perry(?) was deceased - just occupation of coach builder. Is that a help? Maybe need to have Sarah in a 1841 Census. 1849 marriage Register says she married "full age" and living in Standish.

The problem with the marriage in 1849 between Joseph Higson and Sarah Ann P (Perry/Peny etc), whose father was Joseph P is that there do not seem to be any other records mentioning either Sarah Ann or her father.

Sadly agree. Thank you.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    First of all I think that you have got the right death, because the Margaret Topping who died in Wigan in 1881 was aged 68, which ties in with the ages in the various censuses.

Every census says that Margaret was born in Wigan. The 1861 Census (Piece 2775/Folio 30 / Page 3) is particularly helpful as it tells us that she was a widowed retired publican living with two Higson granddaughters, her married sister Ellen Greenwood, her unmarried brother William Daniels (b. abt 1819), and two nieces.

The next bit I am not certain about is the 1851 Census (Piece 2199 / Folio 2 /Page 500) where Margaret is living with her husband Robert Topping a victualler born in 1815. The occupation is consistent with Margaret saying later that she was a retired publican. However, I can’t see a marriage between Margaret Daniel and Robert Topping, nor can I see a marriage between Ellen Daniel and a Mr Greenwood.
    19 Dec 1843 All Saints, Wigan, Lancashire, England
    Thomas Greenwood - (X), 33, Engine Tender, Widower, Wallgate
    Ellen Daniel - (X), 35, Spinster, Wallgate
    Groom's Father: Israel Greenwood, Labourer
    Bride's Father: James Daniel, Warper
    Witness: James Ormston, (X); Elizabeth Cooper, (X)

Also with Margaret Topping in 1861 is her niece Nancy Porter aged 18 b Wigan. In 1851 the only Nancy Porter I can see is with her parents George & Wimna (Winney in 1841)

Marriage: 20 Jan 1839 St David, Haigh, Lancashire, England
    George Porter - (X), full age, Weaver, Bachelor, Aspull
    Winfred Daniels - 20, Winder, Spinster, Aspull
    Groom's Father: William Porter, Potter
    Bride's Father: James Daniels, Warper

BUT
    Baptism: 22 Sep 1822 All Saints, Wigan, Lancashire, England
    Winifred Daniel - Base Daur. of Ann Daniel
    Born: 12 Jul
    Abode: Hallgate

So I wonder if this is the above 'Ann':
    Baptism: 25 Jul 1802 All Saints, Wigan, Lancashire, England
    Nancy Daniel - third Daur. of James Daniel & Margaret (formerly Lea)
    Born: 8 Jun
    Abode: Hallgate
    Mother's Parents: James & Winnifred Lea

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Have a look at wiganworld.co.uk cemetery records. Only had a quick look but in Grave E257 are Sarah Ann Higson d1866 age 33yrs/ Margaret Topping d1881 age 68yrs/ Ellen Greenwood d1888 age 79yrs/ Margaret Bootle d1902 age 52yrs/ Elizabeth Culshaw d1915 age 64yrs. The records also give address info. Lots of records on here for the surnames you are looking for.

Thank you very much everyone. I shall check out wiganworld, which should be helpful. Do appreciate the interest. Have good day all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast