Default William Thompson in Manchester

Hello! I am looking for William Thompson (or Thomson) and wife Mary(?) from Manchester and / or Nantwich. He has had a daughter Mary Elizabeth, born at November 19th 1786 in Manchester. She moved later to Germany, might have been a nanny in Hamburg-Altona or Göttingen, Germany and was 1809 married to Werner Philipp Thielepape from Wabern, Germany.

It is possible, that William was from German descent, born abt. 1730 or 1740 as Hermann Ludolf Ibbecken and used the pseudonym William Thompson.

Any information would be appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Ralf Vonhold
    Wabern, Germany

I can see why you think William Thompson may actually be using that name as there are some rcords on ancestry.com with the two surnames together.

Baden and Hesse Germany, Lutheran Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1502-1985
    Hermann Ludolph Ibbeken de Thompson
    Spouse - Sara Ibbeken de Thompson
    Child - Louisa Ibbeken de Thompson
    Parish as it Appears - Mannheimer
    Page number - 268;269
    No year given transcript and the original image not available

England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
    Harman Ludolph Ibbekin
    Gender Male
    Spouse Sarah
    Child Herman Ludolph Ibbekin

Germany, Select Births and Baptisms, 1558-1898
    Hermann Ludolph Ibbeken De Thompson
    Spouse Sara Von Lisborn
    Child = Louisa Ibbeken De Thompson
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    I can see why you think William Thompson may actually be using that name as there are some records on ancestry.com with the two surnames together.

Baden and Hesse Germany, Lutheran Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1502-1985
    Hermann Ludolph Ibbeken de Thompson
    Spouse - Sara Ibbeken de Thompson
    Child - Louisa Ibbeken de Thompson
    Parish as it Appears - Mannheimer
    Page number - 268;269
    No year given transcript and the original image not available.

England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
    Harman Ludolph Ibbekin
    Gender Male
    Spouse Sarah
    Child Herman Ludolph Ibbekin
    Image (available on Ancestry)says the baptism took place at St Augustine's church, Norwich on 10 March 1770.
    Harman/Herman Ludolph son of Herman/Harmen Ludolph and Sarah IBBEKIN.
    (Note that St Augustine's is a Church of England church.)

Germany, Select Births and Baptisms, 1558-1898
    Hermann Ludolph Ibbeken De Thompson
    Spouse Sara Von Lisborn
    Child = Louisa Ibbeken De Thompson
    From what I can see by clicking various links on Ancestry, daughter Louisa was born and baptised on 3 February 1779, and buried on 4 February 1779.
    You would have to find where the original records for the Lutheran church, Mannheim are held and then either visit or request someone to search them on your behalf.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thank you very much for this Information. I found William Thompson on a web archive for German writers and publishers (translated):

Persistent link Kalliope: https://kalliope-verbund.info/gnd/1047509512  GND-ID: https://d-nb.info/gnd/1047509512 , 02/14/2014, last change: 01/14/2022   Raßmann: pseudonyms

Biographical Notes:

Among other things, active in Hanau, Frankfurt am Main, Homburg vor der Höhe, Heidesheim and Duisburg. Originally a merchant in Danzig (born around 1730 or 1740 in Blexen/Oldenburg?). 1771 to Prussia. Admiralty Council appointed (?). English language teacher in Frankfurt am Main (and Hanau). Director of the "action academy" in Homburg in front of the height. Matriculated at Heidelberg University in 1778. 1777 Professor of cameral and commercial sciences at the Philanthropist in Heidesheim. In Mannheim for a short time. Since 1779 as English Language teacher at the Kameral-Hohen-School in Kaiserslautern. From the spring of 1781 lecturer at the University of Duisburg; At the beginning of 1782 he founded an "action academy" in Duisburg; 1783 disappeared without a trace.

royal Prussia. Admiralty Council

Referrals:

Ibbecken, HL [real name]   Ibbeken, HL   Ibbecke, H.   Ibbeken, Hermann Ludwig Adolf   Ibbeken, Hermann Ludolf   Thomson, William   Ibbeke, ... 

Frankfurt is about one hour south of my hometown, also the time fits approximately, especially that William dissappaered 1783, he possibly moved to Manchester!? I think I need more informations on the birth of Mary Elizabeth Thompson 1786 in Manchester for connecting or excluding him.
    I checked some sources mentioned in the top posts in this Lancashire part of the forum, but I didn't find her birth. Do you know any websites, databases or archives with Manchester birth or baptism that might be helpfull?

Ralf