Famous for offering help & advice

Default 1939 register codes

Has anyone a clue what this code C1686 written on the 1939 register means?

Where onthe image is this code written Pamela? Not that it will help me, I can't see any reference to codes even on TNA.
    I wonder if the codes were part of the NHS contributions when they took the register over in 1948.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I came across an anecdotal posting that said the general opinion seems to be that anything written in red, green or blue ink was the work of the NHS and although held meaning for them it is unlikely there are any records referencing them.
    Also - Most of the NHS information is on the RH side of the register which has not been transcribed and is not visible. Because lack of space some of this information was written on the left hand side which is what we can see.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

The code and a date,1950,are written on the LH side of the page before the entry of the name.

After the name there are the initials G A which have been added,the initials,code & date are all in red ink.

I took the initials to perhaps be middle names?

Also this is a child who doesn’t have the same surname as the family he is with,I did wonder if he could be an evacuee but OP believes he was around the family until he was much older as he was ‘talked about often’.

Pam.

Being in red ink could mean the entry was done by a member of the NHS sometime after 1948. Could the G A be the signature initials of the person who did the addition to the original entry.

If you want to give us the details we could take a look at the original entry.

Christina
    William Burroughs

I’ve asked OP if it’s ok to give the details.

I have just noticed what looks like ‘ (Dis) 11’ next to the code also in red ink. Discharged maybe?

On Ancestry in the transcription under his name there are in brackets the initials G A followed by the surname.
    They’ve also not transcribed 2 other people at the same address from the previous page!

So I’ve just found a birth record that’s a match including the initials G A .The MMN also matches the MN of the female adult in the household. I’m thinking he’s a nephew as the birth is registered in London and quite possibly sent as an evacuee to family.

Great researching Pamela, as usual for you. Glad you have it sorted. I really find acronyms on official documents a real bugbear.
    Christina
    William Burroughs