Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thank you for your advice, much appreciated. PDFs ordered

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by StevieM View Post
    Thank you very much for your help. I will order the three certificates.
    Yikes - I hope I've got at least one of them right then! It's very difficult with names that were unfamiliar to the English ear, and then having to rely on someone else's transcription 100+ years later.

Fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Mary was 9 months old in 1901, so born 1900, and they were living in the Stepney registration district, so there's a possibility that this could be Mary:

ZAKSZEWSKI, MARCE (Maree) mmn WYZKEZEWSKI GRO Reference: 1900 D Quarter in STEPNEY Volume 01C Page 353
    I have now received this birth record and it seems to be Mary. The address and profession of father matches the 1901 census. Thank you

Possibly Frank?

SACHFELFSKI, FRANCISIK mmn WEISHNAFSKI GRO Reference: 1897 J Quarter in ST GEORGE IN THE EAST Volume 01C Page 370
    I have now received this record and this seems to Frank! The birth date matches that on his death certificate. Thank you!

This is the closest I can get for Annie, but the mother's maiden name is nothing like, and it doesnt matchup to the DoB on the 1939 register

ZACKZEWSKI, ANNA mmn FAUL GRO Reference: 1896 J Quarter in ST GEORGE IN THE EAST Volume 01C Page 378
    I have now received this record. It's hard to know whether this is my great grandmother. The possible matches are: variation of name; phonetic spelling of father's surname; profession of father the same as on Frank's. Date of birth and mother's maiden name don't match. Thank you for trying!

Quote Originally Posted by StevieM View Post
    I have now received this record. It's hard to know whether this is my great grandmother. The possible matches are: variation of name; phonetic spelling of father's surname; profession of father the same as on Frank's. Date of birth and mother's maiden name don't match. Thank you for trying!
    If the parents forenames are Valentine & Alice then I think its probably correct - there weren't many couples in London in the 1901 census with those two forenames, and only one that I can see that also had a 'similar' surname (the 'Jackshopski' record at post #2).

Can you type out all of the information from Anna's birth certificate please, and also Frank's for comparison.

As an aside, I have several family members whose Date of Birth on the 1939 register is nothing like their birth certificate but I know with certainty that its them.

If the parents forenames are Valentine & Alice then I think its probably correct - there weren't many couples in London in the 1901 census with those two forenames, and only one that I can see that also had a 'similar' surname (the 'Jackshopski' record at post #2).

Can you type out all of the information from Anna's birth certificate please, and also Frank's for comparison.

As an aside, I have several family members whose Date of Birth on the 1939 register is nothing like their birth certificate but I know with certainty that its them.
    Thanks. Good to know!

Anne’s certificate:
    When and where born: Sixteenth April 1896 141 St George Street
    Name: Anna
    Sex: Girl
    Name and surname of father: Winanti Zackzewski
    Name and maiden surname of mother: Alasha Zackzewski formerly Saul?
    Profession of father: Stick dresser

Frank’s certificate:
    When and where born: Twenty First April 1897 17 Sutton Street
    Name: Francisik
    Sex: Boy
    Name and surname of father: Valentini Sachzelfski
    Name and maiden surname of mother: Alasha Sachzelfski formerly
    Profession of father: Stick dresser

I see why you'd be uncertain, but I still feel its probably the correct one.

The certificates from the GRO aren't true originals - births were registered locally and a second copy was then sent to the GRO as part of the quarterly returns. The copy you buy from the GRO has probably then been copied out again, so there's even more scope for errors creeping in.

I would normally suggest that you contact the local registrar to ask them to confirm whether the the GRO certificate agrees with their copy - some are helpful but others can be less so. I believe that the registers for St George in the East are now held at Tower Hamlets, but I'm not sure if there's an easy way to contact them other than by ordering another certificate: https://www.towerhamlets.gov.uk/lgnl...tificates.aspx

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The certificates from the GRO aren't true originals - births were registered locally and a second copy was then sent to the GRO as part of the quarterly returns. The copy you buy from the GRO has probably then been copied out again, so there's even more scope for errors creeping in.

I would normally suggest that you contact the local registrar to ask them to confirm whether the the GRO certificate agrees with their copy - some are helpful but others can be less so. I believe that the registers for St George in the East are now held at Tower Hamlets, but I'm not sure if there's an easy way to contact them other than by ordering another certificate: https://www.towerhamlets.gov.uk/lgnl...tificates.aspx
    Steve,
    First of all, you have the copy of the certificate from the GRO which has details such as registration district, sub district, certificate number (column 1), and date of registration (column 8). These details mean that it's a relatively simple task to look at the original entry at the Registrar's office.
    I would therefore email
    [email protected]
    Give them the details as above, plus the other details (dob, address, name, etc) on the copy of the certificate that you've received. Explain that you know that details sometimes get mis-transcribed between the Registar's office and the GRO, and therefore would it be possible, please pretty please, for them to check their original copy.

You could also enclose details of Frank's certificate (including the RO and column details) too, as proof of the similarities which make you think it's the same family in spite of the different spellings.

The RO can either be very helpful, or just send a straight 'no'.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thank you for sharing these insights and your advice. I will contact Tower Hamlets

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast