Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Jomot1 - I'd already had no luck searching for a birth for John Gilroy Phillips, and then once I started looking for Septima I just knew it was going to evolve into one of those really messy families.
    I found actually found Septima's death and birth registrations easily, as well as her 1881 census entry.
    Even using the date of birth in the 1939 Register, I found no trace of a birth registration for Marie L Phillips.

I did find a Septima Sarah Susan Phillips living in Tyron Street, Chelsea in the electoral roll for 1933.
    Also in the same houshold were Charles Alfred Phillips and Philip Duncan Phillips.
    The latter must be the Duncan Phillips who's aged 1 in the 1911 census (your post #7), and the Philip born 1910 in the 1921 census. (your post #8) No wonder I couldn't find a birth registration for Philip Duncan Phillips. Couldn't you just throttle some people!!

And I know I'm doing this back to front, but a year earlier, 1932, electoral roll. Tyron Street, Chelse.
    Septima Sarah Susan Phillips, with Charles Alfred Phillips, Donald Arthur Phillips, and Philip Duncan Phillips.

1928 electoral roll
    City of London -8 Addle Hill London E.C.4. - Septima Sarah Susan Phillips (abode 88 Lewisham High Rd, S.E.)

1929 electoral roll
    44 Broadwall, Lambeth S.E.1. - John Gilroy Phillips and Septima Sarah Susan Phillips.

Also in the same house was Alice Clifton.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

It looks like John Gilroy Cameron/Phillips reverted back to his birth name at some point, as this must surely be his death:

CAMERON, JOHN GILROY aged 84 GRO Reference: 1956 J Quarter in GREENWICH Volume 05C Page 494

His burial is on deceased online. Died 19 Jun 1956, Buried/Cremated 27 Jun 1956. Southwark

1939 register at 25 Haddo Street, Greenwich:

John G CAMERON born 1 Jul 1872 Male Nurse. Married
    Elizabeth CAMERON 24 Jun 1879 Catering Cook. Married

Elizabeth's name has later been altered to McDonell and there is a note "D in name McDonnell" (D presumably means Died)

John's DoB fits the birth registration in Neath, and his occupation also matches the 1911 census and the children's baptisms. Its unclear whether he ever really was a publican, but his son of the same name was, and so was Septima.

To finish off the electoral rolls, available on Ancestry's All London, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1965

Where Septima is named

Stansfield Road, Lambeth (more precisely, Stockwell, S.W.9.)
    John Phillips
    Septima Phillips

Stansfield Road, Lambeth
    Septima Phillips

1919 (autumn)
    Stansfield Road, Lambeth
    John Phillips
    Septima Phillips

Stansfield Road, Lambeth
    Septima Phillips

1921 (autumn)
    Stansfield Road, Lambeth
    John Phillips
    Septima Phillips

1929, 1930
    44 Broadwall, Lambeth S.E.1.
    John Gilroy Phillips
    Septima Sarah Susan Phillips.

1931, 1932
    Tyron Street, Chelsea.
    Septima Sarah Susan Phillips
    Charles Alfred Phillips
    Donald Arthur Phillips
    Philip Duncan Phillips.

1933, 1934,
    Tyron Street, Chelsea.
    Charles Alfred Phillips
    Philip Duncan Phillips.
    (Off-topic - a house a few doors along from #25 and the same type of house, sold for just over £2.6 million in 2016.)

Tyron Street, Chelsea.
    Charles Alfred Phillips
    Marie Phillips
    Philip Phillips.

1931, 1934, 1935, 1936, 1937
    City of London - The Olde Bell, Addle Hill London E.C.4.
    Septima Sarah Susan Phillips (abode The Queens Head, Tyron Street, Kings Road, Chelsea.)

City of London - The Olde Bell, Addle Hill London E.C.4.
    Septima Sarah Susan Phillips (abode 7 Dulverton Mansions, Grays Inn Road, W.C.1.)

1949, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1957
    Septima S Phillips, 69 Lynette Avenue, Clapham

Specifically where John Gilroy Phillips is named in addition to the 1928 and 1929 where he is listed with Septima. Not going to try and locate plain John Phillips other than those I've found where he is with Septima.

St Martin's Road, Brixton
    Annie Esther Phillips
    John Gilroy Phillips

Caledonian Road, Islington
    Donald Arthur Phillips
    Gladys Annie Phillips
    John Gilroy Phillips

(FreeBMD has a marriage registration for a Donald A Phillips marrying a Gladys A Middleton, March quarter 1932, Chelsea registration district.)

1936, 1937
    Chalk Farm Road, St Pancras
    Annie Phillips
    John Gilroy Phillips

Chalk Farm Road, St Pancras
    Annie Esther Phillips
    John Gilroy Phillips

1949, 1950
    Kings Cross Road W.C.I.
    John Gilroy Phillips
    Barbara Primrose Phillips

Kings Cross Road W.C.I.
    John Gilroy Phillips

1952, 1953
    Kings Cross Road W.C.I.
    John Gilroy Phillips
    Barbara P. Phillips

Just to add to the above, Septima also had a son named John Gilroy Phillips/Cameron born 1905 who married Annie Esther Doyle in July 1929 so the later references will be him.

I suspect that John Gilroy Phillips/Cameron Sr had left the family by the time of Hubert James's marriage

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Just to add to the above, Septima also had a son named John Gilroy Phillips/Cameron born 1905 who married Annie Esther Doyle in July 1929 so the later references will be him.

I suspect that John Gilroy Phillips/Cameron Sr had left the family by the time of Hubert James's marriage
    I had thought that John Gilroy was a bit of a womaniser, so I'm pleased you were able to clarify that, Jomot1.

Doing the maths, even the John Gilroy with Septima in 1929 could be John junior as by then he'd be 24 and able to vote.
    Death registration John junior, John Gilroye (sic) Phillips, date of birth 6 November 1905, Islington registration district September quarter 1977. Left a will but the Probate Calender doesn't say to whom probate was granted.

I completely forgot to say earlier
    for picking up on Septima's signature on Hubert's marriage certificate. That was the crucial link. Even if you did have to go meandering to find it.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

To everyone
    a big thankyou. I will look at all this noteit down and get reference nos etc.
    once again thankyou,
    Doreenh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12